2021 Draft Talk

swede700

21. MINNESOTA VIKINGS — EDGE JOSHUA KAINDOH, FLORIDA STATE

Long, athletic projects on the edge have been the Vikings' M.O. From a pure tools perspective, Kaindoh compares very similarly to Gregory Rousseau. Listed at 6-foot-7, 265 pounds, Kaindoh has rare flexibility for a man that size and can forklift opposing offensive tackles. He’s simply yet to have the production close to Rousseau’s, with his career-high 69.5 pass-rushing grade coming in an injury-shortened 2019 season.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-trevor-lawrence-jacksonville-jaguars-justin-fields-washington-football-team

I like Armon Watts and could see him being a nice depth piece at NT, with Pierce being the starter in 2021. That position looks good.

We look so weak at UT though. Shamar Stephen is just okay. James Lynch looks like a hybrid player, Jaleel Johnson hasn't progressed and Jalyn Holmes already moved to DE. 

We need to focus on that position. It has eluded us since Kevin Williams left (except in 2018 when we had Sheldon Richardson).

• Like 1

Jaleel Johnson has been running with the 1s a lot of the time.  We don't know yet if he hasn't progressed.  And he has notably been miscast at NT for the past couple of years...3T should be his natural position and hasn't had enough time concentrating there.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I like Armon Watts and could see him being a nice depth piece at NT, with Pierce being the starter in 2021. That position looks good.

We look so weak at UT though. Shamar Stephen is just okay. James Lynch looks like a hybrid player, Jaleel Johnson hasn't progressed and Jalyn Holmes already moved to DE. 

We need to focus on that position. It has eluded us since Kevin Williams left (except in 2018 when we had Sheldon Richardson).

Shariff Floyd would have been at least solid if it weren't for his botched surgery.

• Like 3

On 8/20/2020 at 7:32 PM, NoDakViking said:

Any fans of Wyatt Davis in the 1st this spring?

I would not hate it depending on how the guard play is this year. If Bradbury takes the next step we'd have the potential for a nice youthful line.

Cleveland-Davis-Bradbury-(Samia?)-O'Neill

That'd be a 2nd, 1st, 1st, 4th, and 2nd rounder. That should shut anyone up about Spielman not investing in the line.

This early in the process I'm always a fan of trench players in round 1, especially with how much we appeared to get bullied in some games last year. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 9:37 AM, VikeManDan said:

I would not hate it depending on how the guard play is this year. If Bradbury takes the next step we'd have the potential for a nice youthful line.

Cleveland-Davis-Bradbury-(Samia?)-O'Neill

That'd be a 2nd, 1st, 1st, 4th, and 2nd rounder. That should shut anyone up about Spielman not investing in the line.

This early in the process I'm always a fan of trench players in round 1, especially with how much we appeared to get bullied in some games last year. 

True but yeah kind of forgot that most likely Pat Elflein will start which is not great.  Really desperate to have Dru Samia take over one of those guard spots, or maybe Dozier develop more or the rookie Hinton.  Would love is Brandel transitions to guard or Udoh to be honest with you, especially Udoh.  Then one could take out Elflein and put Udoh and Samia in but maybe Elflein has worked and improved, one can only hope.  Reiff at OT is a question mark still to me, Cleveland would love for him to get some time but depends on Reiff, would suck if Cleveland sits all year though honestly.  Not sure he can play guards though or Reiff.  

Davis at OG would make a ton of sense, same with Alex Leatherwood but he is most likely gone before the Vikings pick.  Alaric Jackson is an option late 1st round as well who can play OT or OG.  

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True but yeah kind of forgot that most likely Pat Elflein will start which is not great.  Really desperate to have Dru Samia take over one of those guard spots, or maybe Dozier develop more or the rookie Hinton.  Would love is Brandel transitions to guard or Udoh to be honest with you, especially Udoh.  Then one could take out Elflein and put Udoh and Samia in but maybe Elflein has worked and improved, one can only hope.  Reiff at OT is a question mark still to me, Cleveland would love for him to get some time but depends on Reiff, would suck if Cleveland sits all year though honestly.  Not sure he can play guards though or Reiff.  

Davis at OG would make a ton of sense, same with Alex Leatherwood but he is most likely gone before the Vikings pick.  Alaric Jackson is an option late 1st round as well who can play OT or OG.

I'm hoping the Vikings are done with the Pat Elflein experience after this year and let him walk. Unless he somehow plays much better at RG and signs a cheaper contract to compete again. I don't see them re-signing Reiff either after this year. O'Neill, Cleveland, Hill, and Udoh as the tackles doesn't sound terrible to me, this depends on how Cleveland progresses this year and next off-season though. 

We do have some nice depth/potential in some younger players for sure, but I wouldn't count on them taking one of the guard spots and running with it. I think they like Udoh as the swing tackle/backup RT spot, haven't heard anything about him getting any TC snaps at either guard spot.

As I said in my previous post, right now, I'm 100% on-board with the 2021 1st going on the OL or DL. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm hoping the Vikings are done with the Pat Elflein experience after this year and let him walk. Unless he somehow plays much better at RG and signs a cheaper contract to compete again. I don't see them re-signing Reiff either after this year. O'Neill, Cleveland, Hill, and Udoh as the tackles doesn't sound terrible to me, this depends on how Cleveland progresses this year and next off-season though. 

We do have some nice depth/potential in some younger players for sure, but I wouldn't count on them taking one of the guard spots and running with it. I think they like Udoh as the swing tackle/backup RT spot, haven't heard anything about him getting any TC snaps at either guard spot.

As I said in my previous post, right now, I'm 100% on-board with the 2021 1st going on the OL or DL. 

I would have no problem with that, but if Reiff is for sure gone after this year, if mathematically it makes sense I would not mind cutting him now and saving the cash.  I would rather get Cleveland some reps now because honestly Reiff, O'Neill, Cleveland, Udoh and Hill is simply too many tackles unless one of those guys can fill in at guard.  Even without Reiff not sure it would be wise to have Udoh just sit on the bench in case of injury, isn't that what Hill is for?  

Either way OG needs to be helped, maybe Samia fills one of those spots but obviously the other is a question.  So yeah going OL 1st round would make total sense but the prospects, most of them are going to be pretty raw with all that has gone on, not as developed, who knows if the season will even happen for them and at what level of play it will be at.  All one can do is go off of the previous year because this years tape who knows how legit it will be because guys are I assume not totally in shape or game/practice experienced like they usually would be.  It could be a crap show.

8 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

At what point do we legitimately address the backup QB position with Cousins contract extension?

Mannion I dislike but they do have Browning how knows how to prepare as a backup but lacks arm talent.  Nathan Stanley provides enough upside and talent I feel for a developmental backup.  Had a fine season last year, great touch on his passes and improved every year at Iowa, big kid and made a running team more balanced and into a passing offense because of his ability to throw the ball.  Not a great athlete though so that could hurt him in this system but at least has potential unlike Mannion who is what he is.  Not sure they need to address it unless Stanley or Browning look awful at camp and practice.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Mannion I dislike but they do have Browning how knows how to prepare as a backup but lacks arm talent.  Nathan Stanley provides enough upside and talent I feel for a developmental backup.  Had a fine season last year, great touch on his passes and improved every year at Iowa, big kid and made a running team more balanced and into a passing offense because of his ability to throw the ball.  Not a great athlete though so that could hurt him in this system but at least has potential unlike Mannion who is what he is.  Not sure they need to address it unless Stanley or Browning look awful at camp and practice.  

I disagree.  I see no upside of anyone currently below Cousins on the depth chart.  Personally, I think they are all a waste of time, money and energy on trying to develop.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I disagree.  I see no upside of anyone currently below Cousins on the depth chart.  Personally, I think they are all a waste of time, money and energy on trying to develop.  

They already got rid of Sloter who had a good amount of upside I feel.  If that is the case then that is pretty sad they got those three guys if they have zero faith in any of them.  Stanley has more potential than those other two easily, but that is not saying much of course.  Clearly the Vikings have hitched their wagon to Cousins, originally I hated that idea but he has shown something the past two years to keep him around, will be very telling how he does this season if there even is a season.  

Still if they get rid of Stanley and draft another QB next year well that means like I said Browning and he must have looked awful in practice to draft a QB again in 2021.  

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

At what point do we legitimately address the backup QB position with Cousins contract extension?

Perhaps the Vikings take a look at who is cut after camps close and before the 1st game is played.  Like Swede700, I am not enamored with anyone after Cousins...I'm not really enamored with Cousins either, but he'll do for now.