2021 Draft Talk

swede700

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Perhaps the Vikings take a look at who is cut after camps close and before the 1st game is played.  Like Swede700, I am not enamored with anyone after Cousins...I'm not really enamored with Cousins either, but he'll do for now.

Would I want to move on from Cousins, sure but they clearly hitched the wagon to him.  And honestly there are not a ton of interesting QBs out there.  It is not a great QB class either in 2021 outside of the top 3 which the Vikings probably have no shot at anyway.  Vikings draft Shane Buechele mid to late round great, or a guy like Brandon Peters or Ian Book or Charlie Brewer fine.  But are they that much different than say the likes of Stanley, not really, Buechele throws a better ball than Stanley but Stanley is bigger and played against much better competition consistently.  Looked lights out against Ohio State a few years back and has had some big games.  KJ Costello is one with talent but not sure what he will look like on Miss State, was very disappointed in his play last year for Stanford.

Either way QB sure is always on the table but if they pick one in 2021 they failed in drafting big time.  Because it would mean Stanley is a wasted pick and Browning was a wasted roster spot in developing him on the PS.  

On 8/21/2020 at 12:47 PM, SteelKing728 said:

I like Armon Watts and could see him being a nice depth piece at NT, with Pierce being the starter in 2021. That position looks good.

We look so weak at UT though. Shamar Stephen is just okay. James Lynch looks like a hybrid player, Jaleel Johnson hasn't progressed and Jalyn Holmes already moved to DE. 

We need to focus on that position. It has eluded us since Kevin Williams left (except in 2018 when we had Sheldon Richardson).

I've really been wanting to find another Kevin Williams type to anchor the middle and maybe get some pressure up the middle too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, swede700 said:

@SteelKing728, you should have just stopped after saying it had eluded us since Kevin Williams...Sheldon Richardson was unimpressive to me and just another in the line of mediocre UTs since Williams. 😅 

Oh I thought he was pretty decent? He was better than some of the other guys we tried out there. 

Shamar Stephen turned out to be a good 7th round pick for us, but he's plain as day average. 

Shariff Floyd was okay, but never really lived up to the hype. 

Tom Johnson had a late career boom but still was at best a pure situational pass rusher/3rd down guy rather than a starter.

1.Vikings’ first round pick

2. Vikings’ third round pick

3. Compensatory fourth round pick (Trae Waynes)

4. Vikings’ fourth round pick

5. Buffalo Bills’ fourth round pick (Stefon Diggs trade)

6. Chicago Bears’ fourth round pick (Draft day trade)

7. Baltimore Ravens’ fifth round pick (Draft day trade)

8. Vikings’ sixth round pick

9. Compensatory sixth round pick (Mackensie Alexander)

10. Vikings’ seventh round pick

This is what we still have tentatively after Waynes' injury impacting our comp pick and the Ngakoue trade.

28 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

1.Vikings’ first round pick

2. Vikings’ third round pick

3. Compensatory fourth round pick (Trae Waynes)

4. Vikings’ fourth round pick

5. Buffalo Bills’ fourth round pick (Stefon Diggs trade)

6. Chicago Bears’ fourth round pick (Draft day trade)

7. Baltimore Ravens’ fifth round pick (Draft day trade)

8. Vikings’ sixth round pick

9. Compensatory sixth round pick (Mackensie Alexander)

10. Vikings’ seventh round pick

This is what we still have tentatively after Waynes' injury impacting our comp pick and the Ngakoue trade.

Vikings still have their 5th. The conditional pick they sent for Ngakoue was in 2022. 

The pick they got from the Ravens was originally the Steelers’ 5th, so will be tied to Pittsburgh’s finish in the draft order. 

So they project to have 11 picks including four 4ths, two 5ths and two 6ths. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Vikings have no interior pass-rush. This line is exposing our corners. Beyond Ngakoue, there isn't anyone on the line defenses are concerned about. The defense is obviously terrible and the Vikings might be 2-1 if it hadn't regressed this much. Lynch might be something to try out, but so far he hasn't seen the field.

When your offense has to score 30+ points per game there's a problem.

Even if Pierce comes back next season he's not a pass-rusher. 

The Vikings have their young corners who need more time to develop, and if Ngakoue and/or Harris are resigned that leaves the 3T position as the most glaring need. 

There are some very good prospects such as Marvin Wilson, Jaylen Twyman, Jay Tufele, and The Stills Bros, depending on where the Vikings are drafting (maybe they trade down to the 2nd round). Twyman finished last season with 10 1/2 sacks and has an amazing swim move. He opted out of the season due to Covid concerns, so his stock may fall a bit. Wilson is on track to possibly be the first DT off the board and is seen as more versatile. There are other prospects that could potentially look good in Purple. Here's some videos from the Stills Bros to whet the appetite and get some discussion going:

and here's Twyman:

Possibly the 1st off the board DT somewhere in the 1st rd -- in Marvin Wilson:

and here's Tufele:

Edited by babababa
  • Like 1

I think we'd all love to add a pass rushing 3T to our line. Next year with a healthy Hunter and a hopefully in-shape and hungry Pierce the DL will look much different. I agree that a pass rush presence is needed on the interior.

Hunter-???-Pierce-Yannick is a great start.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VIKINGS101011 said:

Not Trey Lances best game. To bad it’s his only one. 

15-30 149 yards 2 TDs 1 Int (1st career)

15 rushes 143 yards 2 TDs

also had a perfectly thrown 50 yard bomb for a TD that was dropped. 

Yeah, that was not his best game at all but he did lead a fourth quarter comeback that the Bison defense squandered. His response to that was leading the team on another fourth quarter comeback to take the lead. Then he led the team to a third 4th quarter TD drive to put it on ice by giving them an 11 point lead.

It was not his best game but the scouts will notice that he was 9 for 23 at one point and when the game was on the line he answered the call going 6 for his last 7. It could have been better but it is worth noting this was NDSUs first game while Central Arkansas already had three games of tuning up complete. Lance started slow but did not buckle. It would have been better to not start slow but he showed something.

I would still like to see Lance drafted by the Vikings.

Edited by Cearbhall