2021 Draft Talk

swede700

4 hours ago, RpMc said:

The NCAA might grant them another year of eligibility, but, as we've seen with Wisconsin and a few other schools, it's going to be up to the universities to decide if they are going to extend it or not - Wisconsin denied their spring sport seniors an extra year of eligibility.

That would make it tough on incoming players

8 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Just as long as this thread isn't full of tank for Trevor

We definitely shouldn’t be the ones tanking, but whoever does, I don’t blame them because Trevor Lawrence is incredible. Once in a generation type of quarterback and probably like one we’ve never seen before. I can’t recall seeing a college QB with his combination of size, arm talent and speed (might have 4.5 speed at 6’6”). He’s almost like a dual-threat Peyton Manning. Only knock on him is his decision making could be better, but that improves with experience and coaching. As long as he stays healthy, I think he could be the best QB in the league in 2-3 years. Yes, better than Patrick Mahomes, he’s THAT good. Hopefully he stays healthy. As a football fan, he’s really fun to watch. 

Edited by Purplepride323

Important to note that the Vikings already have 12 picks in the 2021 draft.

Vikings 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th ,7th

Bills 4th (Diggs Trade)

Bears 4th (2020 Draft Day Trade)

Ravens 5th (2020 Draft Day Trade)

Potential Compensatory Picks (3rd - Waynes, 6th -  Alexander)

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/25/21236787/minnesota-vikings-already-have-12-picks-2021-nfl-draft

15 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Bills 4th (Diggs Trade)

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/25/21236787/minnesota-vikings-already-have-12-picks-2021-nfl-draft

So, after the inevitable tradedowns by Spiels, 15 picks again?  I'm being a little facetious, but it's probably more likely that they use some of those picks to trade back up into the late 1st again to get the 5th year option on someone, just as he has done in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Bills 4th (Diggs Trade)

The 5th rounder they got from the Ravens is actually a pick that originally belonged to the Steelers (traded to BAL for DE Chris Wormley). 

Pittsburgh might fall off this year if Big Ben is showing his age, and the Bengals (Burrow) and Browns (Stefanski) improve. So that could be a mid-5th or higher, not at the end of the round where the Ravens likely end up. 

Projecting the Bears to finish in the bottom 5-10 of the league and the Steelers around .500, the Bears 4th and Ravens/Steelers 5th have a combined value of a late 3rd -- similar to the comp pick they got for Sheldon Richardson this year, and probably get again next year for Trae Waynes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

So, after the inevitable tradedowns by Spiels, 15 picks again?  I'm being a little facetious, but it's probably more likely that they use some of those picks to trade back up into the late 1st again to get the 5th year option on someone, just as he has done in the past.

honestly i think it's more likely that Spielman trades similarly to this year, where he trades down, accumulates more late round picks and shops some of those for future picks. 

Now that he's built up a stash of picks, I think it's prudent to keep that stash topped up so he's heading into every draft with 8-10 picks (before compensatory picks are added). In this past draft alone I think he added the value of a late third round pick or something, having more picks gives you more opportunity to trade down and accumulate even more value going forward. Kind of like a "rich get richer" situation, which I'm all for.

Basically if we get to the point where we have too many picks and there's diminishing returns because guys won't make the roster, I'd much rather he trade the excess picks for future picks a round higher than package multiple picks to move up in the current draft. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RpMc said:

The NCAA might grant them another year of eligibility, but, as we've seen with Wisconsin and a few other schools, it's going to be up to the universities to decide if they are going to extend it or not - Wisconsin denied their spring sport seniors an extra year of eligibility.

Embarrassed for my alma mater. 

Any good, long and athletic CBs next year? Could see us grabbing another one early. I’m not super confident in Hughes and Hill. Hughes has that fifth year option coming up and I can’t see them exercising it . Gladney and Dantzler should be part of the future. Think they could still use a legit #1 CB like Rhodes was a couple years back. I think Gladney will be a nice starter, probably a #2 CB who can move to the slot. I could see Dantzler being the #3 or nickel CB playing just on the boundary.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I actually wonder if we should compare more to Spielman's first few years, when he had to reload the talent base. In his first three drafts, we had 7 first rounders.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Hughes has that fifth year option coming up and I can’t see them exercising it

I don't think that decision will be made until after this year.

Hughes was pretty good last year aside from the nightmare game in Dallas (where I don't think he played that terribly, just ended up on the wrong side of a few amazing plays by Cooper).

This year, he'll likely be the CB1. If he can rise to that challenge (and stay healthy for a change), I think they will pick up his option. 

3 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Hughes was pretty good last year aside from the nightmare game in Dallas (where I don't think he played that terribly, just ended up on the wrong side of a few amazing plays by Cooper).

This year, he'll likely be the CB1. If he can rise to that challenge (and stay healthy for a change), I think they will pick up his option. 

Agreed, also given his health the last few years, and the new fifth year option scale, Hughes fifth year option could fall into one of the cheaper levels. 

9 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Agreed.  Also, yes, the Vikings have no options to pick up this year, because of the Bradford trade.