Week 4 GDT: Tennessee Titans (2-1) at Houston Texans (1-2)

titans0021

Tough game for you guys today. You never expect a game, especially a rival game, to go like that. I am sure when we play at your place later in the year things will be different. Glad to be on the winning side of a butt whopping for once. Seems like we get rocked once to twice a year. Hope Mariota is ok, see you boys later in the season!

Man... F this game. People looking to see who to place the blame on... F that... The blame falls on everyone this game:

The coaching staff for failing to adjust sooner (especially on D)... For failing to prepare and rattle a rookie QB making his 3rd NFL start... For failing to get this team ready mentally and physically against a team that's had our number and who we haven't beaten at their house in years.

Mariota for getting off to one of his slow starts. Even his completions in the first Q were high. Its really becoming a problem... And its highlighted on days like today when the defense is not able to hold the opposing offense off.  Mariota passes look like this: inc short R, int deep L (high), com short L, inc short R, com short R (high), com long R, com short L, com short R, TD deep middle, int deep L (throw affected by hammy).

Front 7 for not being able to bring the rookie down when they got to him... For getting gutted down the middle when we needed a stop... For losing so many receivers on short crossing routes or in the backfield.

The secondary for failing to cover anybody. McCain rightfully gets so much grief, but Jackson was worse... Got abused yet again... For giving up that 45 yard penalty near the end of the half to put Houston on the 1, and essentially putting them up 30-14. Searcy...wtf?! Did anyone have a good game back there (Byard might get a quick mention for that pick at the end of the half)

(Small positive takeaways, we seemed to be getting in sync on offense, scoring on back to back drives, going 150 yards on those 2 drives and getting us back to 24-14... The defense just didn't cooperate... And then Mariota got hurt).

A couple more positives... Were tied for 1st in the division... Of oirn4 remaining division games, 3 are at home...

For next week, I dont know if Miami has a chance to recover yet. Its been a rollercoaster this year... The week 1 hurricane forcing them to relocate to California. Away at LA, away at NY, home at London (?!?!)... Then flight back home from London. Its crazy... And Cutler hasn't had a chance to gel with his receivers. They bounced back after we trounced them last year ans they still have that potential... Just hoping we come out with fire... If we do, we should take advantage as they continue to recover from all the Early season craziness and travel.

We all are creatures of right now being either the best or the worst.  

We are quick to forget the games of past. 
Colts beat us 51-24 in 2004, 35-3 in 2005, 
45-10 loss to the Cowboys in 2006
59-0 against the Patriots
55-7 loss against the Packers in 2012
51-20 loss to the Bears in 2012
51-28 loss to Broncos in 2013
36-7 loss to Giants in 2014
38-10 loss to Dolphins in 2015
38-17 loss to Jaguars 2016

In each of these losses, I remember distinctly how the world was going to end. I remember how we might as well seceded from the league. If you want to throw out the "same ol Titans" then yeah that would fit. lol
But do i think this is the worst loss or the most embarrassing loss in Titans history? No. I don't. 
I don't care what anyone says, that Patriots loss was the worst football I've ever seen. The Patriots could have hung 98 on us and we would have been lucky to get an 1st down. If the Texans has more talent on offense then yeah it could have been worst, but they don't and it wasn't.  

I also never felt as helpless as a fan as I did when watching the Packers game in 2012. We had Jake Locker at QB and we couldn't complete a pass. 

This is a crappy way to try to prove a point, by bringing up these duds, but I think the point has some validity.  
Each of these losses, had me embarrassed to put on my Titans gear, because we were never in them from the jump. 

Again, I think this is "the most embarrassing" game ever, simply because it happened today. The sun will come out again tomorrow and the team will bounce back to be more competitive next week.  Will we win? who knows.Hopefully. 

Are we a playoff contender, I think a resounding yes.  Given what we've seen from this division, I see nothing to make me think otherwise as of yet.  
Are we a championship contender? No. Defensive coaching, offensive consistency, Pass defense, lack of a "Dawg" on defense are a few reasons why we are not. 

But there is no clear #1 team in this division, quite yet.  If our defense can stop someone, like they have the two games priors to today, then our style of offense has a high chance of being successful. 
Next week, if we can't stop anyone....or if Mariota is going to be out for multiple weeks, then we can spend more time in the 2018 prospects thread. :)

What will be kind of interesting is who we bring in to be the #2 if Mariota does miss any time. Tanney is on IR and while Ferguson is on the PS, he's uh..not ready for the NFL, to say the least. Some options out there:

Kaepernick(would seem pretty obvious if we're just taking a guy for a week or two to back up Cassel we're not bringing in Kaep, but if Mariota's injury ends up being long term, he becomes an option)

RG3

Shaun Hill

Christian Ponder

Brandon Weeden

Thad Lewis

Matt McGloin

This game was horrendous in nearly every aspect but the defense needs to shoulder most of the blame on this one though they were put in bad spots at times.

I have never seen a defense fail to adjust as badly as the Titans yesterday. When the announcers keep pointing out over and over hey maybe we should double Hopkins and our coaching staff/players do not realize that, that is a failure on all of them.

Back breaker of the game to me was Adoree Jackson pass interference to give them the ball on the 1 and hand them another touchdown. To me that was game over. I like Adoree Jackson but he should not have been who we picked at CB. White was there when we were drafting who was clearly a superior pure CB and we passed on him for what seems to be our love for special teams. Well our special teams have been better but still I didn't get the pick then and still don't now. He may still develop into a solid starting CB for us but as of right now he is getting abused and is a big weakness in coverage for us. Though to be fair all of our corners are playing like hot garbage. To be fair though the defensive scheming was not where it needed to be yesterday. I am by no means throwing in the towel on Jackson and I do think he will end up being a solid CB for us but he is getting roasted badly in a trial by fire now. Hopefully he comes out better for it.

Bottom line it was a horrendous game for the Titans and they need to recover and fast. Letting Watson light us up is embarrassing because Watson is going to have his fair share of bad games this year. He just happened to play possibly the worst two pass defenses in the entirely league with how they are playing right now in the Patriots and Titans in back to back weeks.

Do I think our defense is worst in the league? No but it sure played like it yesterday. Our secondary is still a big issue and we need to get better ASAP. The season is not lost (unless Mariota is out awhile) but the defense is probably going to hold us back again if it does not improve.

Only positives I take from this game is the offensive line did pretty good slowing down the Texans vaunted front 7. That is about all I can think of for yesterday's game.

15 hours ago, KingTitan said:

We all are creatures of right now being either the best or the worst.  

We are quick to forget the games of past. 
Colts beat us 51-24 in 2004, 35-3 in 2005, 
45-10 loss to the Cowboys in 2006
59-0 against the Patriots
55-7 loss against the Packers in 2012
51-20 loss to the Bears in 2012
51-28 loss to Broncos in 2013
36-7 loss to Giants in 2014
38-10 loss to Dolphins in 2015
38-17 loss to Jaguars 2016

So I guess we can confidently say that no other team in the NFL puts the rest of the league on notice for level of "we give up and are being blown out quite like the Titans.

As awful as that New England game was, I feel like yesterday was a worse loss. Lot of folks viewed us as the probable AFC South representatives, the other teams being a Colts team missing Luck, a Jags team with Blake "garbage stats" Bortles,  and a rookie QB on a Texans team. It was supposed to be the year we put forth the best complete team in the division. Instead, we looked like the same ol' Titans. It doesn't matter that the coaching staff is no longer Fisher or Munchak or Wisenhunt, the same deflated blowout game continues to plague this organization. And rather than hold each other accountable, we'll get variations of "it's just one week". 

Games like this one are the ones we look back after the season and say "Man if only we had played that week better..."

I feel like yesterday was so much worse than NE. Atleast in NE we faced Brady Moss Welker and we had 2 rookie CBs so I get that if the Pats wanted to run up the score they could have but giving up 57 and could have been 60 if it wasn’t for Byard was so much worse and crushing to go out and put up that kind of performance is embarrassing. Now could we come back in Dec and whip them yes we can but yesterday was atrocious.

Another not just heard PK on the radio and he was asked about the CB matchups and his answer was along the lines of well it’s been working why change it ?

Its crap like this is why we just won’t get to the next level with this team. You can’t do the same things over and over week after week you actually have to go out and coach and understand putting McCain alone on Hopkins is a bad idea. Mularkey needs to do a better job coaching you have to adjust week to week too you can’t just go out and do the same crap that Houston clearly watched and excuted from the film where they see the Titans do the same crap all and over. Coach Mularkey coach for crying out loud you paid Logan Ryan all this money hoe about in a big division Game do something different that Houston hasn’t seen

2 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I feel like yesterday was so much worse than NE. Atleast in NE we faced Brady Moss Welker and we had 2 rookie CBs so I get that if the Pats wanted to run up the score they could have but giving up 57 and could have been 60 if it wasn’t for Byard was so much worse and crushing to go out and put up that kind of performance is embarrassing. Now could we come back in Dec and whip them yes we can but yesterday was atrocious.

Another not just heard PK on the radio and he was asked about the CB matchups and his answer was along the lines of well it’s been working why change it ?

Its crap like this is why we just won’t get to the next level with this team. You can’t do the same things over and over week after week you actually have to go out and coach and understand putting McCain alone on Hopkins is a bad idea. Mularkey needs to do a better job coaching you have to adjust week to week too you can’t just go out and do the same crap that Houston clearly watched and excuted from the film where they see the Titans do the same crap all and over. Coach Mularkey coach for crying out loud you paid Logan Ryan all this money hoe about in a big division Game do something different that Houston hasn’t seen

Hmmm, I dunno. It's hard for me to rank this as the all-time worst lost in history.  Other games have been equally if not worst to me...
I think the score could have been closer if Marcus stayed in there.  Cassell threw a pick 6, fumble and INT all in our end of the field. I feel we could have had it at a more respectable 36-24, if Marcus played the whole game.  Maybe more like 43-24, since our defense couldn't stop anyone. But I think a Marcus led offense could have scored at least one more TD. But that's neither here or there, I guess.

Nothing a win next week won't cure. And have half the forum back riding the playoff train.

Archived