Rodgers 2011 vs Mahomes 2018

Rodgers 2011 vs Mahomes 2018  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Better season?

• Aaron Rodgers, 2011
    • Patrick Mahomes, 2018

Slight edge to Mahomes.

Mahomes play style is becoming revolutionary with his no-look throws mixed with side-arm passes downfield and played against a much tougher defensive schedule than Rodgers did in 2011. But Mahomes had alot better weapons than Rodgers too and Rodgers didn't have the benefit of the 2011 CBA that made it easier to build a team around a QB. 

You could also rightfully factor in how much Andy Ried played a part in Mahomes outstanding year but I personally don't think Reid's hand in his development is the reason Mahomes set the world on fire either. So to me, imo, without Reid and the weapons he may not have set the records that he did if he played elsewhere but I still think he would make some plays that make you go "how?".

I typically like to wait atleast a few years to judge QB's but I was truly sold on Mahomes after one season because he was that good.  

So again, all things considered, I would give the slight edge to Mahomes. 

Both had incredible seasons. 

Mahomes was very impressive because of his young age and lack of experience in the league. 

But id have to go with Rodgers slightly, especially considering he didn’t have close to the offensive mind Andy Reid is and not anywhere near the offensive weapons 

People saying Mahomes have recency bias imo.

2011 Rodgers 68.3 Completion %

2018 Mahomes 66.0 Completion %

2011 Rodgers 9.0 Touchdown %

2018 Mahomes 8.6 Touchdown %

2011 Rodgers 1.2 Interception %

2018 Mahomes 2.1 Interception %

2011 Rodgers 9.2 Y/A

2018 Mahomes 8.8 Y/A

2011 Rodgers 122.5 Passer Rating

2018 Mahomes 113.8 Passer Rating

There is like no argument for Mahomes

• Like 17

3 hours ago, LieutenantGains said:

People saying Mahomes have recency bias imo.

2011 Rodgers 68.3 Completion %

2018 Mahomes 66.0 Completion %

2011 Rodgers 9.0 Touchdown %

2018 Mahomes 8.6 Touchdown %

2011 Rodgers 1.2 Interception %

2018 Mahomes 2.1 Interception %

2011 Rodgers 9.2 Y/A

2018 Mahomes 8.8 Y/A

2011 Rodgers 122.5 Passer Rating

2018 Mahomes 113.8 Passer Rating

There is like no argument for Mahomes

Bulk stats would be the argument 

Edited by Chiefer

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Bulk stats would be the argument 

But the stats aren't THAT much bulkier - Mahomes had 350 more yds, and 5 more tds. And it took 80 more att to get there. It's probably just nicer, rounder numbers - 5000/50 looks nicer than 4600/45. Rodgers also sat in week 15, where Matt Flynn threw for 480 yds and 6 tds vs the Lions. If Rodgers is near his per game avg of 310 yds and 3 tds (and Flynn's performance suggests that hitting those numbers shouldn't have been an issue), Mahomes bulk edge is even less

Also, since both of them are mobile, I figured I'd see if rushing might swing it one way or the other; nope, equal as can be - Rodgers 60-257-3, Mahomes 60-272-2. Mahomes fumbled 9 times to Rodgers' 4; Rodgers was sacked 36-219 (6.7% sack pct) vs 26-171 (4.3%) for Mahomes. So the only real difference I'm seeing is Rodgers was a quite a bit better with ball security (though it isn't as though Mahomes was terrible) but a lot more likely to take a sack. 

I mean, either way, I'm not pissed off if my team gets "stuck" with the person who finishes #2 in this poll. It's a razor thin margin that I'd chalk up to personal preference, as they were both playing QB as well as you can play it over an entire season. 

• Like 6

Rodgers has the better season but Mahomes had more hype. Perhaps it was because he was brand new to the league and 2011 was a historic season for a handful of guys, but Mahomes seemed more impressive. 

But it’s still Rodgers. That season gets slept on.

• Like 2