Rodgers 2011 vs Mahomes 2018

Rodgers 2011 vs Mahomes 2018  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Better season?

• Aaron Rodgers, 2011
    • Patrick Mahomes, 2018

On 5/10/2020 at 5:11 AM, Chiefer said:

Bulk stats would be the argument 

ANY/A is my stat of choice, and Rodgers was better there.  IF the question was who is better, I'd argue Rodgers.  If I'd argue which was more impressive, I'd say Mahomes.

Lol.  Aaron Rodgers had the 8th highest yards per attempt in NFL history in 2011.

In one less game, he had 7 more touchdowns and 1 less interception than 7th highest all-time (Matt Ryan)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=1960&year_max=2019&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos[]=qb&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2020&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=qb&draft_pos[]=rb&draft_pos[]=wr&draft_pos[]=te&draft_pos[]=e&draft_pos[]=t&draft_pos[]=g&draft_pos[]=c&draft_pos[]=ol&draft_pos[]=dt&draft_pos[]=de&draft_pos[]=dl&draft_pos[]=ilb&draft_pos[]=olb&draft_pos[]=lb&draft_pos[]=cb&draft_pos[]=s&draft_pos[]=db&draft_pos[]=k&draft_pos[]=p&c1stat=pass_att&c1comp=gt&c1val=200&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_yds_per_att

And I'm the biggest Rodgers-disliker out of any Packer fan ever.

I remember literally being bored that season and didn't react at all when the Packers scored touchdowns or made big plays.  It was literally so good as to be boring. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 2

I voted Mahomes because I’m a biased Chiefs fan...

And then I saw the numbers someone posted. The answer is clearly Rogers, I was wrong. That said, I do think Mahomes clearly superior playoff performance closes the gap some, but still...

I’m changing my vote Rogers.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

ANY/A is my stat of choice, and Rodgers was better there.  IF the question was who is better, I'd argue Rodgers.  If I'd argue which was more impressive, I'd say Mahomes.

It’s more impressive for Mahomes because it was his first year starting compared to Rodgers 3rd year(like 5th year in the league)?

I think Mahomes has a huge season similar to Rodgers again next year. He’s really starting to pick up the mental parts of the game.

Rodgers looked better in the sense that his game seemed 'intentional' and calculated. I feel like he intimidated defenses more.

Mahomes on the other hand seemed to be winging it and many times had fluky plays turn out great. Not that that isn't impressive, it was just more lucky I guess? He's is a young QB tho and that almost makes what he did more impressive.

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

It’s more impressive for Mahomes because it was his first year starting compared to Rodgers 3rd year(like 5th year in the league)?

I think Mahomes has a huge season similar to Rodgers again next year. He’s really starting to pick up the mental parts of the game.

Correct.  Although, I'm not sure Mahomes can put up a much better season than he did in 2018.  Assuming I'm reading it correctly, his ANY/A was 6th all time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:
13 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Correct.  Although, I'm not sure Mahomes can put up a much better season than he did in 2018.  Assuming I'm reading it correctly, his ANY/A was 6th all time.

I'll agree that I think Rodgers' was better, with Mahomes being more impressive due to it being his first year starting. Supporting casts aside

5 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I'll agree that I think Rodgers' was better, with Mahomes being more impressive due to it being his first year starting. Supporting casts aside

Even the supporting casts are fairly even, if different - KC had somewhat better frontline talent, GB had better depth. 

ATTENTION PACKER FANS:

I have claimed many times that Aaron Rodgers is overrated.  He has been tremendously overrated during the last 3-4 seasons.  Having said that, this is a situation where even I have to give him credit.  In the 2011 season, he played football as well as any QB I've ever seen play the game.  He made it look about as effortless as anyone ever has. 

As much as I like Patrick Mahomes, and as great he played last year, I just cannot honestly say he was better than the 2011 version of my least favorite quarterback.

Rodgers for the win.  (Don't ever expect those words to come off of my keyboard again.  Hahaha!)

On 5/9/2020 at 10:12 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Slight edge to Mahomes.

Mahomes play style is becoming revolutionary with his no-look throws mixed with side-arm passes downfield and played against a much tougher defensive schedule than Rodgers did in 2011. But Mahomes had alot better weapons than Rodgers too and Rodgers didn't have the benefit of the 2011 CBA that made it easier to build a team around a QB. 

Really? Jennings, Nelson, James Jones, Old man Donald Driver and rookie Randall Cobb was a helluva WR core. Then you add in Jermichael Finley who was a match up nightmare before he got hurt.

Mahomes had alot of weapons as well but it was mainly Hill and Kelce. Remember, Kareem Hunt got cut later that year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Really? Jennings, Nelson, James Jones, Old man Donald Driver and rookie Randall Cobb was a helluva WR core. Then you add in Jermichael Finley who was a match up nightmare before he got hurt.

Mahomes had alot of weapons as well but it was mainly Hill and Kelce. Remember, Kareem Hunt got cut later that year.

Kareem Hunt didn’t get cut because of is play.  That Kareem Hunt was better than any RB Rodgers has ever had