Splash Shields: Pandemic Helmet Guards

Matts4313

https://uni-watch.com/2020/06/05/full-face-visor-breaks-new-ground-in-pandemic-football-era/

splash_sheild_helmet_3.png

49971498837_59b15a446d_h.jpg%22

After a brief Twitter leak on Wednesday, which was then taken taken down, the helmet manufacturer Schutt yesterday officially announced a new product called the Splash Shield, which according to a press release “will offer some protection for football players from harmful droplets caused by talking, sneezing, and coughing in close proximity.” I believe this product, which Schutt says will be available to ship by July 1, is the first new piece of sports equipment — or at least the first one that I’m aware of — directly related to the pandemic, although I’m sure it won’t be the last.

The development of this type of product has been hinted at for a few weeks now. Back on May 18, NFL Players Association medical director Thom Mayer said that when the NFL returned to action, it was reasonable to expect that players might have to wear some sort of mask that “could cover a player’s entire face,” which is essentially what the Splash Shield does.

Schutt is being careful not to overpromise here. The term “some protection” — not exactly a hyperbolic claim — appears twice in the press release, including in this sentence: “While the Splash Shield will offer some protection, it can only limit exposure to airborne droplets that the athlete encounters during play.” In other words, it’s not like wearing an N95, but it’s probably better than nothing.

4 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Why wouldn't the players just wear face masks? These helmets would not offer the best protection and would likely fog up or otherwise impede vision too much.

I would imagine there is some sort of fog proof tech in this but I could be wrong 

21 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Why wouldn't the players just wear face masks? These helmets would not offer the best protection and would likely fog up or otherwise impede vision too much.

It wouldnt be very safe. Say nothing for the impediment on breathing while pushing your endurance to the limit, the extra CO2 intake from breathing in a mask while huffing and puffing would make guys pass out. It really isnt an option for extensive physical activity. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

It wouldnt be very safe. Say nothing for the impediment on breathing while pushing your endurance to the limit, the extra CO2 intake from breathing in a mask while huffing and puffing would make guys pass out. It really isnt an option for extensive physical activity. 

yeah I couldnt imagine trying to run around playing football with something covering my mouth while Im huffing and puffing 

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

But players play while wearing Balaclava's in the winter all the time.