Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

From Reddit:

Patrick Mahomes has a 1.2 passer rating (not a typo) on deep throws down the middle. That’s 88.2 percentage points worse than the league average (self.nfl)

Source https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/patrick-mahomes/MAH401939/2020/all/qb-grid

He also has a 52.8 passer rating (22.1 points worse) on deep throws to the left. He has a 135.4 rating on deep throws to the right to be fair, but that’s also the spot where a lot of his dropped INTs have happened.

The vast majority of his production this season has come within 20 yards, not on deep targets which people assume because of his arm

Reality Check:

• Yards Per Attempt: Mahomes is 5th
  • Adjusted Yards per attempt: Mahomes is 1st
  • Passer Rating: Mahomes is 2nd
  • TD to INT: Mahomes is first at 25 to 1
  • Mahomes is 14th in dink and dunk (I mean completion %)
    • His record is 8-1
    • The 14 guys ahead of him in dink and dunk are a combined 66-55

Here is the only place where your lame deep throws down the middle stat matters:

skills-competition.jpg?anchor=center&mod

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Reality Check:

• Yards Per Attempt: Mahomes is 5th
  • Adjusted Yards per attempt: Mahomes is 1st
  • Passer Rating: Mahomes is 2nd
  • TD to INT: Mahomes is first at 25 to 1
  • Mahomes is 14th in dink and dunk (I mean completion %)
    • His record is 8-1
    • The 14 guys ahead of him in dink and dunk are a combined 66-55

Here is the only place where your lame deep throws down the middle stat matters:

skills-competition.jpg?anchor=center&mod

To be fair Kyler Murray has been better this season

On 11/15/2020 at 4:24 PM, childofpudding said:

You're incorrect. The league wide passer rating this year is 95.1. Jackson's passer rating right now? 95.1

If the average passer rating is 85, then a passer rating of 100 is higher above the mean than if the mean is 95. That's about facts, not opinions and agreeing to disagree.

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult. But i am going to have to agree to disagree... to an extent.

You are right that the avg this year is 95. But using average calculations is not a formula that is standardized with passer rating. Unless we agree on what the top percentile above the mean is, that classifies what "elite" qb play is for the season. Are we saying the top 3%, 5%, top 10%.

I wasn't talking about Jackson specifically. I'm referring to passer rating. You might not value it. But i showed you that, in generic illustration (telling you) how some of the key metrics you value, align with the same top performers in passer rating. There isn't any big variations between PR, DVOA and ANY/A. 

Now the question becomes what percentile over the mean, qualifies as elite in any of these KPI'S?

I'll always value 100+ passer rating. I can't think of many examples of when a qb had atleast 25 attempts per game and atleast 12 starts, where i didn't think they had a great/elite season, that had 100+ passer rating (there are some exceptions). My prior use of "elite" might be slightly premature. I think bare minimum it's indicative of great play.

But again, there never seems to be a consistent, universally agreed upon barometer of what top percentile of seasonal play qualifies players at any position as having "elite" seasons.... specifically QB.

23 hours ago, DannyB said:

Successfully passing the ball has never been easier in the history of the NFL. Pretty much every full time starter puts up numbers that would put you at the top of the league 25-35 years ago. It does NOT mean that there are suddenly dozens of elite quarterbacks. It means that elite quarterback play, to some degree, can only be measured in comparison to what everyone else in the league is doing. 10 quarterbacks have ratings over 100. Not all of them are having ELITE seasons. Good? Very good? Yeah I'd say so, but not elite. That's a third of the league. I'd say this year 100 QB rating is, more or less, kind of the threshold of "good". Top third.

I can kinda agree with this assessment, to an extent. I think just good is selling the statline short as a key performance indicator.

3 hours ago, AntonChigurh said:

Andy Reid?

The complete Chiefs offense?

Kyler's degree of difficulty is higher than Mahomes. 

Murray would be doing what Mahomes is doing in the Chiefs system 

Murray isn’t as accurate of a passer and takes too many risks.