TNF: Bears @ Packers

Herbie_Hancock

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Burfict also has a LONG history of dirty plays.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Burfict has had how many "bad" tackles?  LIS, my proposal is something that the suspension/ejection wouldn't occur until the NFL has had a thorough chance to review the play, not just a split moment decision.

I think that one really bad intentional hit should warrant a game. At least.  A legitimately malicious hit or history of egregious hits should be multiple games.  

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

When you make the in-game ejection an option, you either have to make it automatic or discretionary. If it's automatic, you have guys getting tossed for unintentional or incidental contact to the head. If you make it discretionary, you have the refs making judgment calls that could completely change the game. It's a bad idea.

Care to explain how this is different than any other call made by officiating crews/members?

Just now, jrry32 said:

Okay, CWood, push your bad rule because a Packer got hurt. Overreactions on this site are nothing new.

I'm talking about my suggestion to the rule...you're telling me straight up that you think keeping a player on the field is more important than player safety?  Yes or no.  Answer the question.

Just now, Carmen Cygni said:

Care to explain how this is different than any other call made by officiating crews/members?

It is different because a bad DPI call doesn't take Richard Sherman or Josh Norman or Earl Thomas or Luke Kuechly out of the game.

We already complain enough about the refs making bad judgment calls. I have no interest in giving them that call to make.

@CWood21

The rule you'd like to implement allows itself to be abused or, at minimum, misused. The rule also hasn't particularly shown any success in minimizing the hits in college, only changing the course of games. 

No one complains when a referee throws a flag for a false start or an encroachment penalty because those aren't subjective. Horse collars, face masks, all fine. But pass interferences are subjective, and thus get criticized often. Asking a referee to judge intent in the heat of the moment isn't smart. Sure, in this case, it could be an easy call. But it'll happen to guys that didn't do it on purpose/have no mal intent, and then it'll start causing more problems. A fine/future suspension is fine. 

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I think that one really bad intentional hit should warrant a game. At least.  A legitimately malicious hit or history of egregious hits should be multiple games.

And that was my proposal.  The suspension doesn't go into play until AFTER the game.  That's after the league office has had ample time to review the tape.

Archived