Browns General Discussion

candyman93

10 minutes ago, DawgX said:

That's what I hope. And that's why I'd rather have him active on game days rather than someone who's nothing more than a returner.

I’ll be honest, I’d like to see him on ST too, but I like that they’re playing some vets.  We need to win NOW and vets typically give the best chance at that.  We don’t need him (or anyone else) learning on the fly right now, especially after the abbreviated training camp.

4 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Indians fan or something? This isn’t baseball. We have more cap space than any other team in the NFL, again, just like we always do. We don’t need to sell low on one of the 3 best players on the team just to go from 45 million in available cap space we won’t use to 60 million we won’t use. Harlem can still afford his steak dinners. I want the Browns to be good not cheap. 

I mean I would rather spend OBJs contract on multiple defensive pieces rather than paying 15+ million per year to a guy whose going to catch 4 balls for 65 yards per game.

Its a bad investment.

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean I would rather spend OBJs contract on multiple defensive pieces rather than paying 15+ million per year to a guy whose going to catch 4 balls for 65 yards per game.

Its a bad investment.

Look at Stefon Diggs last year, his first 3 games in Stef's offense, he went 6 catches for 100yards 1TD.

How about we give the offense time to relax and settle in.

Cook in that same time span went for 375 and 4TDs.

Just maybe, just maybe, its a little easier to run the ball, and by establishing the run early in the season it opens up the passing game for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its a bad investment.

What defensive pieces?  Or are we gonna lay top of the market prices for guys in UFA?

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What defensive pieces?  Or are we gonna lay top of the market prices for guys in UFA?

It doesnt have to be FA pickups it could also be by trade. Look what happened in MIN when they shifted towards giving Dalvin Cook the ball. Diggs requested a trade because lack of production in the offense and Theilen was upset with the way Cousins was playing.

Similar to the Bills/Titans you need a WR1 and complimentary pieces around them. 

We gave (at the time) Hooper the biggest TE contract, we are paying Jarvis top 10 WR money, they extended Hunt to pay him like a top 10 RB, they WILL be extending Chubb for top 5 RB money and then you have OBJ over there also making top 10 money.

I dont see how its possible to have 4-6 guys on one side of the ball making top 3-10 level money at their positions. Something has to give, especially if the cap decreases next year with COVID.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its a bad investment.

We have $35M available right now to spend on defensive players and chose not to. OBJ ain’t constraining us in the slightest.

Money is not and has never been a limiting factor preventing the team from winning. Browns regularly have cap room because the Browns regularly have bad players and they don’t have people worth paying. This has fundamentally been our problem since the return. OBJ is one of maybe 4 players with a legit HoF chance we’ve had on our roster in the last 25 seasons. 

He is probably the second best player in the team behind Chubb, but at worst the 5th best player on the team. He deserves to be compensated

I swear Browns fans have the trickle down economics view of football. Maybe if Haslem spends less money we’ll have a more talented team! Why have $35M of cap room when we can have $60M! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its a bad investment.

Akron, please don’t take what I’m about to say personally. You’re not the only poster who does this. However....

CAN WE PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT THE ******* SALARY CAP?!?

The Rams, Saints, and Chiefs just literally dunked on the salary cap. Where is this magical money they have? The salary cap is a myth.

Stop protecting Haslams money.

22 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

We have $35M available right now to spend on defensive players and chose not to. OBJ ain’t constraining us in the slightest.

Money is not and has never been a limiting factor preventing the team from winning. Browns regularly have cap room because the Browns regularly have bad players and they don’t have people worth paying. This has fundamentally been our problem since the return. OBJ is one of maybe 4 players with a legit HoF chance we’ve had on our roster in the last 25 seasons. 

He is probably the second best player in the team behind Chubb, but at worst the 5th best player on the team. He deserves to be compensated

I swear Browns fans have the trickle down economics view of football. Maybe if Haslem spends less money we’ll have a more talented team! Why have $35M of cap room when we can have $60M! 

Eh, it’s not that extreme.   Our salary cap space is due to carryover from Sashi.  We actually spend a decent bit on talent and aren’t in any way penny pinching.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/05/03/cap-space-cleveland-browns-clowney/ 

I agree OBJ is better than some theoretical defensive stud that we get in FA, but it’s not like we have a ton of cash to throw around either and will have less after we resign Chubb and presumably Ward and Baker.

28 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

You’re so much nicer than me about this, but you’re spot on.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree OBJ is better than some theoretical defensive stud that we get in FA, but it’s not like we have a ton of cash to throw around either and will have less after we resign Chubb and presumably Ward and Baker.

So Kansas City, New Orleans, and LA can just dump a brinks trunk on players when they’re in the red, but we can’t?

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

So Kansas City, New Orleans, and LA can just dump a brinks trunk on players when they’re in the red, but we can’t?

I never said that, I’m just saying we aren’t swimming in as much cap flexibility as the bottom line cap space number would indicate.

We absolutely should see that number shrink over the next few offseasons as we make a push to “win now”.

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Akron, please don’t take what I’m about to say personally. You’re not the only poster who does this. However....

CAN WE PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT THE ******* SALARY CAP?!?

The Rams, Saints, and Chiefs just literally dunked on the salary cap. Where is this magical money they have? The salary cap is a myth.

Stop protecting Haslams money.

Im not protecting the money, I say this because I just dont want OBJs contract hindering us resigning other key players if it comes to that. I dont want to see a player like Denzel Ward walk out of the door because we have 2 top 10 paid WRs and it wont allow us to give him a 75 million dollar contract. But if everybody is so certain it can all get done then I guess its okay

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im not protecting the money, I say this because I just dont want OBJs contract hindering us resigning other key players if it comes to that. I dont want to see a player like Denzel Ward walk out of the door because we have 2 top 10 paid WRs and it wont allow us to give him a 75 million dollar contract. But if everybody is so certain it can all get done then I guess its okay

There are a lot of players that we can cut before getting to OBJ imo.

• Like 1