Browns General Discussion

candyman93

30 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Higgins is having a career year and he’s been used in like 5 games.

I’m not counting games where he gets barely any targets.

I still don’t fully forgive stefanski for DNPing him so much. Was a terrible move at the time and hes showing now how good he is. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I still don’t fully forgive stefanski for DNPing him so much. Was a terrible move at the time and hes showing now how good he is. 

I forgive Stefanski for any and all mistakes this season. We’re 9-3 and are playing better then our talent. We’re getting as much out of the offense as I think we can get. Best season in decades so far. I’ll overlook about any mistakes he’s made or will make the next 1-2 months just out of principle. 

Similar feelings on Mayfield this season. I still am not sure of his ceiling but his TD/INT ratio is 21/7, and we’re 9-3. Worlds better production then last season where a skinny post was basically just playing catch with the safety. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

About Higgins, I have to assume that he just half ***** it during practice.

Yeah, there was a decent amount of chatter about that.  Plus, he didn't exactly dive into the playbook (from reports). There were a few times in his 1st game action this year where Baker and Landry both had to tell him where to line up at different times.

Anyway, he seems to have gotten over the hump.  Could always run good routes and catch the ball.  Hopefully, he still knows what the play is lol.

• Like 1

The Browns are very close to shaking off the ghost of the 2007 season, which has haunted them for over a decade

At the end of 2007 it seemed the Browns were headed for bigger and better things. It proved to be a disappointment that the Browns took over a decade to recover from (after a few false signs in the middle too). Just in 2008 alone their biggest rivals went on to be Super Bowl champions, which compounded the frustration over 2008 considering the high expectations heading into the season.

Over the next 12 years, in addition to the Super Bowl win by the Steelers, the Browns finished last 9 times, had a four-season streak in which they were the only AFC North team to finish with a losing record (including two years where all division rivals made the playoffs), won very few division games, and after starting 6-3 in 2014, they were issued a huge reality check, and ended up in last at 7-9. They regressed each of the next three years, to 3 wins in 2015, 1 in 2016, and none in 2017 - becoming the first team in NFL history to fail to improve from 1-15. That same season, the Bills passed on the longest active playoff drought title to the Browns. Despite a good second half of 2018 to finish 7-8-1, they regressed to only 6 wins in 2019, becoming the first team in NFL history to have a losing season every year of a calendar decade. The Browns had two one and done coaches during this time in 2013 and 2019, whereas they had none before, and in this span fired three coaches who never beat the Steelers, after not doing so before. 2019 marked the first time they fired a coach after a season ending in 9.

But now it looks like all that is behind them. While they still haven't swept the Steelers since 1988, the longest active drought among possible sweeps, there is reasonable hope that the Browns might become the team to beat in the AFC North, as Big Ben is nearing retirement age.