Browns General Discussion

candyman93

13 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This won’t happen, but say Cleveland beats Tennessee AND Baltimore. Does your perception of this team change dramatically?

For me it would. I wouldn’t even care about the Pittsburgh game.

It would defiantly give me hope going into the playoffs to get a W and maybe make the AFCC game

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This won’t happen, but say Cleveland beats Tennessee AND Baltimore. Does your perception of this team change dramatically?

For me it would. I wouldn’t even care about the Pittsburgh game.

Yes. If that happens we'll likely finish at 12-4, which in this tough conference is very good and would indicate we have a chance to hang with anyone.

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Why do we not even try to take more shots deep? Especially with the attention our run game has gotten?

I was thinking about this the other day, and then it dawned on me:

We essentially have no real viable vertical deep threat on the outside. Given that we have been in double TE almost exclusively since OBJ's injury (I love it!) on the downs where it makes sense to take a shot with mixers, Jarvis does it on the intermediate/crossing routes, but we don't have a Perriman, OBJ, etc. to do it. It's not Hodges or Higgins...and DPJ clearly isn't that guy (yet) either.

I think we need to draft a guy at the WR spot at some point and look to deal OBJ, or acquire one in free agency. I think it's pretty clear that even if he's healthy, he's not going to really factor into this team winning games with him.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I was thinking about this the other day, and then it dawned on me:

We essentially have no real viable vertical deep threat on the outside. Given that we have been in double TE almost exclusively since OBJ's injury (I love it!) on the downs where it makes sense to take a shot with mixers, Jarvis does it on the intermediate/crossing routes, but we don't have a Perriman, OBJ, etc. to do it. It's not Hodges or Higgins...and DPJ clearly isn't that guy (yet) either.

I think we need to draft a guy at the WR spot at some point and look to deal OBJ, or acquire one in free agency. I think it's pretty clear that even if he's healthy, he's not going to really factor into this team winning games with him.

He can be, he has all the tools, but anyway I was just wondering. Is it philosophical thing, or is because of the lack of bodies. I just wonder..... 

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

He can be, he has all the tools, but anyway I was just wondering. Is it philosophical thing, or is because of the lack of bodies. I just wonder..... 

Based upon what he tried to do/did/was able to do in Minnesota with Diggs (at least with Keenum), I'd lean towards bodies. Purely speculation on my part.

• Like 1

Baker is top 3ish in air yards per attempt.So while we aren't taking the deep shot we do go for the intermediate passes a lot.

We don't have separation guy, that quick sudden movement guy that can beat his guy and get open. We pretty much have to rely on busted coverage to be able to take the shot. It can still happen with a Higgins or even Landry or whoever but it isn't going to be common.

I wouldn't throw the deep pass just to do it as long as everything else is working, it just isn't needed. There were certainly times in the past that I begged for us to do it to hopefully open up the running game and back the defense up so they weren't taking away the short passes but those days are gone. The threat is already there with an established QB (I say he is established) and the threat of play action does similar things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Baker is top 3ish in air yards per attempt.So while we aren't taking the deep shot we do go for the intermediate passes a lot.

We don't have separation guy, that quick sudden movement guy that can beat his guy and get open. We pretty much have to rely on busted coverage to be able to take the shot. It can still happen with a Higgins or even Landry or whoever but it isn't going to be common.

I wouldn't throw the deep pass just to do it as long as everything else is working, it just isn't needed. There were certainly times in the past that I begged for us to do it to hopefully open up the running game and back the defense up so they weren't taking away the short passes but those days are gone. The threat is already there with an established QB (I say he is established) and the threat of play action does similar things.

I think you really have to force at least one deep-ish just to make the defense aware that you will take the shoot. The big thing is, Stef is a lot more cerebral when he takes that deep shot. Freddie was going deep at will, chuck it f-ck it. I think that’s why bakers turnovers are down. I think Baker was careless last year because I think Freddie wanted him to attempt those passes. Stef isn’t like that so Baker isn’t like that 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

I think you really have to force at least one deep-ish just to make the defense aware that you will take the shoot. The big thing is, Stef is a lot more cerebral when he takes that deep shot. Freddie was going deep at will, chuck it f-ck it. I think that’s why bakers turnovers are down. I think Baker was careless last year because I think Freddie wanted him to attempt those passes. Stef isn’t like that so Baker isn’t like that 

Baker threw a lot of last year before there was separation or the route was ready for it because of pressure. That system just isn't possible with poor o-line (tackle) play. I don't think Baker was careless, he just tried to do what isn't really possible and Freddie just kept calling for it.

Baker still has trust issues. It's going to take time until he is comfortable in the pocket again. That's one reason he is more effective on rollouts and PA. He is getting there though, he isn't broken he just has to keep gaining trust of the pocket.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:05 AM, Kiwibrown said:

@CBrownsman

@Mind Character

@bosko1616

@BleedTheClock

Where you guys are you at? we are missing your voices.

I hadn't logged on in a while so I didn't see this.

My apologies, and you sent it on my birthday no less!

Yeah I've been enjoying the football season, and without the need to feel like the whole team needs to be fixed and a lack of things to complain about I admit I haven't been around lately.

I need to change that!  I'll have to start logging on more and seeing how everyone's doing!

Also I have some game management called by Stefanski I can certainly complain about!

I hope everyone's been enjoying to season so far!!

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Damn I hope this doesn’t effect his play. Could effect his stamina. 

About the same as my wife's symptoms (she went back to work today). 12 days of a fever. Always tired too, loss of appetite for a few days. Certainly could take him time to get back to full strength.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Bingo!