Browns General Discussion

candyman93

20 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’ll be honest, I have absolutely no idea what the NFLPA can / can’t do.

Honestly, pretty much nothing. They have no power because the majority of players have to think about their career which is short term so the owners always have the power. You'd have to have a league of players that fight for their replacements which not many will do so that will never happen.

MLB players last a long time so they can afford to lose a year or two and have leverage for the benefirt of their and other player's futures.

So if we have limited practice and even less preseason games, just some predictions:

Jedrick Wills will be our only starting rookie. DPJ may be a starting returner on special teams.

Stephen Carlson will be our #2 TE until Harrison Bryant is ready.

Early in the year, our defense will look better than they actually are. This is because defenses always start off early in a year looking good until offenses find their rhythm. This will be magnified with lack of practice.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

So if we have limited practice and even less preseason games, just some predictions:

Jedrick Wills will be our only starting rookie. DPJ may be a starting returner on special teams.

Stephen Carlson will be our #2 TE until Harrison Bryant is ready.

Early in the year, our defense will look better than they actually are. This is because defenses always start off early in a year looking good until offenses find their rhythm. This will be magnified with lack of practice.

I think our offense will be well ahead of the defense because of the run game. You don’t need a lot of reps to run the ball 30 times a game with 2 pro bowl RBs. Usually it’s the passing game that’s slow to develop. 

You can win in this league being more run heavy. Patriots did it in 2018-2019. They just needed 2 receivers Brady absolutely trusted to make a big play in Edelman and Gronk. However, you also need a defense to compliment it.

Chubb is better than Cook and the Vikings offense line was straight garbage as well. Really excited to see Stefanskis system.

Edited by candyman93

22 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Cousins also has had 2 of his best seasons under some fashion of Stefanski

Correct.

The only major requirements I’ve seen for skill position guys is that TE’s must run block and RB’s must be able to catch the ball. I’ve read that Austin Hooper tries to run block and Harrison Bryant was a former offensive linemen who also tries to run block. They’re not finesse like Njoku.

Our offensive line is athletic enough for the scheme. It’s why I think Drew Forbes will start at RG. He can move really well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Correct.

The only major requirements I’ve seen for skill position guys is that TE’s must run block and RB’s must be able to catch the ball. I’ve read that Austin Hooper tries to run block and Harrison Bryant was a former offensive linemen who also tries to run block. They’re not finesse like Njoku.

Our offensive line is athletic enough for the scheme. It’s why I think Drew Forbes will start at RG. He can move really well.

Hooper while not a great blocker in the traditional sense according to PFF is a fairly good wide zone blocker

• Like 1

When Denzel Ward is healthy, he’s phenomenal.

I’ve felt his ceiling is a Champ Bailey.

Denzel Ward remains a smooth operator in both man and zone coverage. He has a talent for calmly controlling the wide receiver's release when leaving the line of scrimmage, and this form of control helped Ward keep opposing quarterbacks to a 44.9% completion percentage when throwing into his coverage — the best mark among cornerbacks in 2019. 

In just two seasons, Ward has developed a poise reminiscent of more experienced players, as he allowed only one touchdown pass across 414 coverage snaps while his forced incompletion percentage of 18.8% currently ranks eighth at the position. 

Ward plays with a meticulous technique that allows him to wrestle the ball away from receivers with regularity. So, despite all the negativity swirling around the Cleveland Browns, Denzel Ward maybe a silver lining.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Hooper while not a great blocker in the traditional sense according to PFF is a fairly good wide zone blocker

he isnt a great blocker but he is a very willing blockier. Atlanta never made it responsibility for him

I’d really like to see this relationship get salvaged.

Ive long been a Njoku fan and think his best football is ahead of him.  He’s still young as hell and TE is a slow developing postion.

I really hope cooler heads can prevail and Stefanski can illustrate to him his value in his system.

As solid as Hooper is, Njoku is far more talented and if he puts it together should still be TE1.  If not, it’s really his own fault tbh.

• Like 6