Browns General Discussion

candyman93

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

To restructure Watson you have to give him more in the future.

We absolutely could free up money (we have some already from carry over from last year) and we could absolutely sign a few expensive free agents and be fine in 2023. You are royally screwing yourself over for every other year and we aren't a team that is in a position to sacrifice the future for one year. We haven't been close to being a team that could contend for anything since 2020.

If we were the Bengals or Bills who have been on the verge then absolutely it would make sense even if it was reckless. We aren't.

If you’re Berry or DePodesta I’m not sure how worried you are about 2026 or whatever right now.  If you don’t win in 2023 you may not be here. 

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Something will have to give.

We could cut Johnson and save 9 million this year but he will be owed 9 million next year and not be on the roster. Next year looks much worse than this year especially if we don't carry over money. Cooper is gone either way I'm pretty sure. We'll need another chunk. Which is trading Garrett/Chubb/Bitonio/Ward or Teller post June 1. And in most cases, you're taking the hit in 2025 so you may have to repeat the process.

They’re going to kick the can as far and for as long as possible to keep this window open.  Either Watson is the guy they think he is and we’re as ready as we’re gonna be to win now or he’s not and they’re all fired.  There’s no reason not to go all in.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dawgdish said:

Seemed like a good signing at the time, and it would have maybe been intriguing to see if he could do any better under Schwartz than Ward, but not sad to see him go.

I think it’s just a cost thing.  Even if he improves under Schwartz I’m assuming they feel they can use that money to make a bigger impact elsewhere.

This is why I hate FA tbh.  You have no idea how a guy is gonna perform in your system and you’re paying top dollar to find out.

• Like 1

Just now, dawgdish said:

Looks like Delpit manning one spot, but we really need another S

We need a meh FS imo.  Our corners are talented as hell and Delpit, provided he can continue to build on the last half of ‘22, is a fine SS with elite potential.  

We just need a dude to not make big mistakes. Sign a slightly over the hill vet for cheap and draft their replacement day 3.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If you’re Berry or DePodesta I’m not sure how worried you are about 2026 or whatever right now.  If you don’t win in 2023 you may not be here. 

They’re going to kick the can as far and for as long as possible to keep this window open.  Either Watson is the guy they think he is and we’re as ready as we’re gonna be to win now or he’s not and they’re all fired.  There’s no reason not to go all in.  

Correct they don’t have the luxury of looking that far out as they f they will be here for certain.

Just now, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Correct they don’t have the luxury of looking that far out as they f they will be here for certain.

Even if they did, what would you be waiting on?  They’ve gone all in on their QB, we have elite talents at DE, RB and top tier OL, a #1 receiver, top tier corners.  

At some point you’ve got to make a run at things.

Disappointing that he was used improperly during his time here, but his lack of effort or willingness to tackle was noticeable.

Delpit flashes the last quarter of the season and is on a rookie contract still so this is his last chance.

Hopefully they have Delpit as a box player and make a run at a legitimate center field ball hawk type and utilize JOK as the hybrid apex.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Garofolo effed up the dates again............

Why cut him prior to June 2nd and NOT realize the max cap savings???

I think it's smarter to release him prior to June. Yeah, we only save 900k this year but he is off the books. If we cut him after June he counts for 9 million next year where it really gets dicey.