Browns General Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Honestly we'd probably be better on D with Schobert than Adams and Joe signed for just over 10 per year so there is no way I could see us interested in paying big dollars to Adams. We evidentially have a plan and if we are letting one of our top 3 defensive players walk because of money I can't see us making a big signing elsewhere.

A really good safety is nice but they are rarely difference makers for a game let alone a season.

Yeah and we revamped our safety room already. We might not be sold on those guys, but they were brought in because Berry believes in them. We aren’t going to hand an abundance of assets to the Jets to go from a perceived B+ at S to an A+. Yeah, it’d be awesome to have Adams. But the money doesn’t match. $20 mil/yr? He’s on crack. 

So I have a theory, we might be the only team who’s owner feels comfortable enough paying Clowney. If we cut Vernon and sign Clowney to a 1/15 deal, then there’s no impact on our salary cap.

Jason Fitzgerald of Overthecap.comis probably the first person to figure out that something was up. Fitzgerald reasoned that owners might be short on cash, just like everyone else. Additionally, the owners are seeking 2020 finances to be renegotiated in view of the screwed up economy (and with it, the salary cap), and thus are reluctant to shell out any money until the situation is clarified.  In any case, teams appear to want to avoid writing checks until they really have to.

Edited by candyman93

Looking at the 2021 salary cap. We are already projected to have 36 mil in cap space. I think the really big problem our forum has, is that we assume ALL of the guys on our roster will pan out and won’t get cut. When, that’s never how it works.

For example, I will be shocked if Sheldon Richardson is not released. That would put us at 48 mil. I like Njoku and want to stick with him, but would anybody be surprised if he got traded? He’d free up an additional 6 mil, putting us at 54 mil. 

So why do people freak the hell out about paying guys? I don’t think they actually look that in depth at guys contracts. Let’s say in 2021 we started paying Myles 25 mil and Baker 30 mil. That’s only an additional 30 mil taken out of the cap space. Leaving us with 24 million still and that’s if we only made the hypothetical cuts I suggested of Sheldon Richardson and David Njoku.

I appreciate what Sashi Brown did, but he conditioned our fanbase to value the salary cap above anything else. He’s turned some of you into what small market baseball fans do. Protect the salary cap at all costs and it’s irrational.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 12:25 AM, BleedTheClock said:

We aren’t going to hand an abundance of assets to the Jets to go from a perceived B+ at S to an A+

we are not a B+ at safety, c'mon. We have a rookie who was a projected 1st rd pick/top10 before the season, who played his way into the 2nd round. I like Delpit and his potential but he has a lot ro prove. Then the Browns signed a bunch of other guys for 1yr deals. He might believe in Joseph and Sendejo as one year fillers. They arent projecting as the starting safety for the next multi-years. You get Adams and Delpit pans out, you have a pair of safeties that could play the next 5-10years together. 

21 minutes ago, buno67 said:

we are not a B+ at safety, c'mon. We have a rookie who was a projected 1st rd pick/top10 before the season, who played his way into the 2nd round. I like Delpit and his potential but he has a lot ro prove. Then the Browns signed a bunch of other guys for 1yr deals. He might believe in Joseph and Sendejo as one year fillers. They arent projecting as the starting safety for the next multi-years. You get Adams and Delpit pans out, you have a pair of safeties that could play the next 5-10years together. 

Disagree. I'm very high on both Delpit and Joseph. Especially Delpit. I think he should have gone in the top 15. And Joseph's only question mark is his health. If he's healthy, he's easily an above average starter.

Jamal Adams is going to cripple us financially. No thanks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Disagree. I'm very high on both Delpit and Joseph. Especially Delpit. I think he should have gone in the top 15. And Joseph's only question mark is his health. If he's healthy, he's easily an above average starter.

Joseph has plenty of question marks. He’s terrible in coverage. Not a reliable tackler. He’s a big hitter that it. Whitner 2.0

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Delpit you can go high on. If you get ‘18 form, he is the steal of the draft. You get ‘19 form, he is a potential JAG than a All-Pro. 

He won’t cripple us financially because he is one dude who deserves It. He is a top3 safety in the league. Others on the team need to prove they deserve to be paid still. If he was traded for. The only people who deserves a big contract on the defense would be him and Myles. Ward still needs to prove it before he gets a contract that is a huge payday

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I could be wrong, but I think schematically and philosophically, Jamal Adams would be a perfect fit here in a Derwin James roamer role. He’d be the perfect compliment to Grant Delpit.

He 100% would be. But I don't see any world where we would spend the necessary resources on that.

• Like 3