NFL teams 'done' negotiating with Jadeveon Clowney

Drained

Clowney and others might be waiting awhile. Notice how rookies are slower to sign than usual?

It’s not a coincidence Cleveland allegedly offered the same amount of money they’d gain back by cutting Vernon.

Jason Fitzgerald of Overthecap.comis probably the first person to figure out that something was up. Fitzgerald reasoned that owners might be short on cash, just like everyone else. Additionally, the owners are seeking 2020 finances to be renegotiated in view of the screwed up economy (and with it, the salary cap), and thus are reluctant to shell out any money until the situation is clarified.  In any case, teams appear to want to avoid writing checks until they really have to.

Edited by candyman93

In the 6.22 MAQB, we mentioned Philly's cap space. Here are teams w/the most, as of this AM.

1) Browns $37.34M
2) Redskins $36.54M
3) Lions $29.31M
4) Eagles $24.62M
5) Bengals $24.24M
6) Jets $24.17M
7) Colts $22.17M
8) Texans $20.66M
9) Chargers $20.38M
10) Dolphins $20.37M

I really don’t get why we don’t just offer Clowney 20 mil for 1 year

6 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I really don’t get why we don’t just offer Clowney 20 mil for 1 year

Doesn't make a ton of sense from a football perspective. Sign him to big money for 1 year and the worst case scenario is you get a free compensatory pick when he walks the year after. 

That being said, from what I've been reading, some owners have essentially put a freeze on their team spending until assessing the financial impact of COVID. Just because you have the space doesn't mean the person holding the purse is willing to spend it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Just because you have the space doesn't mean the person holding the purse is willing to spend it. 

indeed.
And rolling any cap space from 2020 into 2021 is worth 2X its weight in gold. The browns aren't  SB contender in 2020, but they might be in 2021- so they're way better off not paying a mercenary this year. Clowney might be back on the market next year anyways.
Next year might have some decent FA bargains and that's a better strategy on the $$ side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

All this available cap can be used to carry over into 2021 where the cap may be lower. No one should spend a penny right now.

This. You’d be crazy to throw money at him if there may not be a season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s telling that Clowney isn’t on a roster right now.

Elaborate. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

So ...at this point, what team HASN'T been associated with Jadevion Clowney?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/platform/amp/2020/6/26/21303979/report-dallas-cowboys-are-one-of-two-teams-on-top-of-free-agent-de-jadeveon-clowneys-preferred-list

I guess... the NFC North hasn't been mentioned yet? 

To be fair, I wouldn't really classify this as an association. Simply a wish list from Clowney.

If anything, I think this is a bad forecast for Cleveland's chances at signing him. It's no coincidence that he mentioned two legitimate contenders. Pretty clear that he wants to go to a playoff team while getting the money that Cleveland is offering. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Elaborate. 

Pretty simple. The market is speaking, if Clowney isn’t on a roster of 32 teams, that says something. Free agency is speaking to me. It’s telling me things. 

Clowney can join Larry Warford in the trash bin.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Pretty simple. The market is speaking, if Clowney isn’t on a roster of 32 teams, that says something. Free agency is speaking to me. It’s telling me things. 

Clowney can join Larry Warford in the trash bin.

Not entirely sure what your actual takeaway is. Are you implying this is more telling for Clowney's market or just the market as a whole? I don't think the league is viewing Clowney as some replacement piece, but it's hard to justify handing out a big contract with the aforementioned financial uncertainties + Clowney's health questions.