Patriots sign QB Cam Newton

Apparition

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

bahahahahahahaahahahahahaha yea right, that ish was everywhere when it broke. We are talking about the Patriots. ESPN was calling it Spygate 2.0 (which is absurd). It was getting blown out of the water. So again, I say to you, I know 2019 was a long time ago buuuuuuut

Isn't this the first time their punishment for the incident is being announced? Did that happen in 2019? I don't remember that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

bahahahahahahaahahahahahaha yea right, that ish was everywhere when it broke. We are talking about the Patriots. ESPN was calling it Spygate 2.0 (which is absurd). It was getting blown out of the water. So again, I say to you, I know 2019 was a long time ago buuuuuuut

You can disagree without condescension. I personally feel the timing of the super strict Patriots signing a star QB who has a known drama tax which gets everyone talking the same day they receive a punishment for suspected cheating yet again is a bit too juicy to totally ignore. Why didn’t they announce signing Cam on a weekday, or a week ago? Or sometime during this coming week/ month if they were playing the patient game? 

As an outsider all I can see that changed is that their punishment was announced the same day. 

I think it’s naive to not at least consider that they announced signing him the same day they got their punishment announced to take weight off the PR push back. Politics and optics are definitely a part of the NFL.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:
12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

You can disagree without condescension. I personally feel the timing of the super strict Patriots signing a star QB who has a known drama tax which gets everyone talking the same day they receive a punishment for suspected cheating yet again is a bit too juicy to totally ignore. Why didn’t they announce signing Cam on a weekday, or a week ago? Or sometime during this coming week/ month if they were playing the patient game? 

Yeah dude the timing of today, June 29 2020, at the apex of summer sports, is going to be what destroys the Patriots. People will flock to the streets and overrun bars as Skip and Stephen A Smith debate. 

You might have gotten away with it too, Patriots, if you didn't pick the one time where everyone is only focused on sports.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah dude the timing of today, June 29 2020, at the apex of summer sports, is going to be what destroys the Patriots. People will flock to the streets and overrun bars as Skip and Stephen A Smith debate. 

You might have gotten away with it too, Patriots, if you didn't pick the one time where everyone is only focused on sports.

No one’s trying to destroy anything, I’m just a guy trying to have a discussion on a discussion forum. Apparently the thought that “muh perfect league” has some shady dealings is a no no for guys like yourself. 

I wouldn’t say everyone is focused on sports when there’s an unprecedented global pandemic killing hundreds of thousands worldwide and American politics has become a trashy reality TV show, but funny how we’ve had no real news for weeks or more then two big breaks involving the same team in the same day. One of which there was no reason for it to be on Sunday as opposed to any other day since Cam was a free agent, except the fact that they were also being punished. 

And no, I don’t watch Skip or Steven A or any of those talk shows that tell you what your opinion should be. I read the news and interpret it myself. My personal interpretation is that there is a bit of a smooth move pulled by the Pats, and not that everyone in the NFL league office for punishments decided to only coincidentally do their job on the same day as the Pats GM doing his and the subsequent announcing of this signing. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

22 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

As an outsider all I can see that changed is that their punishment was announced the same day. 

I think it’s naive to not at least consider that they announced signing him the same day they got their punishment announced to take weight off the PR push back. Politics and optics are definitely a part of the NFL.

They may have, but I don't see why people would really care

2 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

They may have, but I don't see why people would really care

Okay that’s fine, and if someone doesn’t care they don’t have to discuss it. I think derailing the conversation to say “trololololol that happened in 2019 the Patriots would NEVER do something shady” is just naive and unnecessary. Because for one, the punishment was announced Sunday (the same day they announced signing a drama queen QB), not 2019.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

31 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

As someone who has recent experience with a cheating scandal... I'll say that the punishment phase of the process will get more scrutiny than the discovery phase. 

All things considered, Patriots got off pretty easy. You want to distract from that. 

• Like 1

Just now, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Okay that’s fine, and if someone doesn’t care they don’t have to discuss it. I think saying “trololololol that happened in 2019 the Patriots would NEVER do something shady” is just naive and unnecessary. 

How dare you put words in my mouth.

Just now, ET80 said:

As someone who has recent experience with a cheating scandal... I'll say that the punishment phase of the process will get more scrutiny than the discovery phase. 

All things considered, Patriots got off pretty easy. You want to distract from that. 

I dont think they got off easy at all. I think it is appropriate. Based on all the reports, the dude who they fired made a mistake and didn't realize what he was doing. It certainly warrants league investigation and consequences, but I think the NFL knows this to and it's why the punishment is more of a slap on the wrist. With the Patriots history, if this incident had any malicious intent (or they found any), they would have been made an example of. This was not the case, it was minor and they treated it as such. 

• Like 1

Just now, SweetFancyMoses said:

I didnt include 2019, and 7 out of 8 seasons he was below 60% completion or barely above it and less than 2 to 1 td to int ratio.

So completion percentage is the only thing you're basing this on? Because for the most part, both guys have similar figures (Dalton has a 2,500 lead on yards, 22 more TD passes and 10 more INTs in about 25 more games played). 

It's a push on passing stats - and that's if you completely ignore rushing (I get it that Cam is 31 and coming off of a foot injury - he's STILL a much better runner than Dalton).

1 minute ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Isn’t there some sand you could be burying your head in rather than continuing to engage in a topic you apparently don’t want to engage in because it’s from 2019 (it’s not).

mmmm more words that have not been typed by these hands.