Patriots sign QB Cam Newton

Apparition

There is an Athletic article with some inside sources, but its behind a pay wall so here the rotoworld blurb:

The Athletic's Jeff Howe cites a source that "implied" the Patriots' signing of Cam Newton "has nothing to do with Jarrett Stidham’s performance."

Since Tom Brady departed, the local and national expectation was for Stidham to enter his second season in the NFL as the team's starting quarterback despite only four career pass attempts. Howe recalls Stidham's "impressive" rookie offseason with accuracy that "really jumped out." ESPN's Mike Reiss has even hesitated to name Cam Newton the Week 1 starter, saying this move was a chance to "bolster the depth chart." It would be stunning, even on an incentive-laden minimum contract, if Newton is not the team's best option to open the season against the Dolphins - but those close to the team are not closing the door on Stidham's possibilities.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

I dont like this. Yes Cam has struggled recently. But him with their defense can be scary. And he is probably an upgrade over Tom Brady from last year. 

Cam didn't just struggle "recently". He's had one great year and really been the epitome to below average - above average (not often) his whole career especially throwing the ball.

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Cam didn't just struggle "recently". He's had one great year and really been the epitome to below average - above average (not often) his whole career especially throwing the ball.

To be fair Carolina never built him an oline or had receivers for him to throw to. They got him Michael Oher (meh), Greg Olsen (awesome), and Ted Ginn (lol) and he won MVP and went to the super bowl.

Ron Rivera was a defensive guy and the team building philosophy always reflected that and it definitely had a negative impact on Cam’s stats.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/06/29/cam-newton-new-england-patriots-team-doctors-covid?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

Newton’s last full-time coordinator in Charlotte, Norv Turner, was asked by a friend where Cam would land, and Turner matter-of-factly answered, “Oh, he’s going to New England.” The ex-Panther play-caller didn’t actually know that was about to happen. But he figured it sure could.

Especially since he was one of the coaches Belichick called for a reference on Newton, with Turner offering a strong recommendation to the New England coach a couple months back.

Side note, Stephen A (so a MASSIVE grain of salt), claims they were weighing Kap as well as Cam but decided to go with Newton. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/06/29/cam-newton-new-england-patriots-team-doctors-covid?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

Side note, Stephen A (so a MASSIVE grain of salt), claims they were weighing Kap as well as Cam but decided to go with Newton. 

Pretty sure we're going to hear every team is "weighing Kap" until someone signs him which I'm not convinced will happen.

12 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Pretty sure we're going to hear every team is "weighing Kap" until someone signs him which I'm not convinced will happen.

Nope, because the downside if he shows up to camp and completely sucks, you then face backlash if you dare cut him.

• Like 2

Weren’t the Patriots competently constricted enough to not wind up with the 1st overall pick anyway?  With that defense, how likely were they to land Lawrence anyway even with Stidham?  

I’m curious to see how BB and Cam work together cerebrally tbh. 

1 hour ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

To be fair Carolina never built him an oline or had receivers for him to throw to. They got him Michael Oher (meh), Greg Olsen (awesome), and Ted Ginn (lol) and he won MVP and went to the super bowl.

Ron Rivera was a defensive guy and the team building philosophy always reflected that and it definitely had a negative impact on Cam’s stats.

Cam is back in the same exact situation then.

5 minutes ago, $andtrap said:

Cam is one of the most overrated players in the league. Outside of his flukey 2015, he's always been above average at best.

I don't think that anyone is arguing that. He's not elite, probably not even top 10 at any point - save for 2015.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't think that anyone is arguing that. He's not elite, probably not even top 10 at any point - save for 2015.

17 hours ago, ET80 said:

I like the move for NE. If healthy, Cam is a top 10-15 QB and Belly will scheme around his skillset. 

...But I mean Cam is a top 15 QB when healthy and likely will be in 2020.

Just now, DoleINGout said:

...But I mean Cam is a top 15 QB when healthy and likely will be in 2020.

32 teams, one starting QB per team... divide that number by 2, gives me 16. So... top 10-15 is literally "average to above average".

Do you need me to buy you a calculator, or something? Perhaps an abacus? Maybe a quick tutorial on MS Excel?