Crucial but underrated players

Hunter2_1

Tell me someone from your team who is vital to how the team operates at its best, but fans of other teams might not necessarily be aware of it. These players are unheralded, probably below 82 on Madden, not flashy but are key cogs to your team

(fully aware this is relatively obscure and not every team will have these).

21 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Tell me someone from your team who is vital to how the team operates at its best, but fans of other teams might not necessarily be aware of it. These players are unheralded, probably below 82 on Madden, not flashy but are key cogs to your team

(fully aware this is relatively obscure and not every team will have these).

This topic screams Patrick Chung.

• Like 1

Possibly Jordan Akins? He's the "move" TE in the offense, will never see much time other than in select packages - but he's got really good size and speed to set up as a mismatch against slower LBs or smaller DBs. He's also very active on ST, with a role on each ST unit (and is an emergency KR/PR to boot).

With Hopkins gone, he might see more targets now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

This topic screams Patrick Chung.

I was going to go with...

1170557013.jpg.0.jpg

Adam Butler. On the field for 108 snaps as a run defender over the course of the 2019 season and he dominated whenever he found himself in one-on-one situations, stacking and shedding at will, showing off his mobility on horizontal concepts, and suffocating runs from the backside of the formation.

And in pass rushing,  his main role is not necessarily attacking the pocket, however, but freeing up other rushers to make plays. This makes his production even more impressive, especially considering that he was also among the league’s second-most doubled defensive tackles and faced off against two blockers on almost 70 percent of his pass-rushing snaps (according to ESPN’s Seth Walder). Registered the fourth-most hurries on the Patriots defense.

His main priority, though, was pushing the pocket and creating opportunities for the players around him. 

• Like 3

Well, they don't meet the "not flashy" criteria, but for the Titans, the underrated player that jumps out is Jayon Brown.  Possibly the best pass-defending LB in the NFL, and I don't say that lightly.

Over the past two seasons, he's had 15 passes defended, with 2 interceptions (one for a TD) , 7 sacks, and 210 tackles, 14 TFLs, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries (one for a TD). Dude is a playmaking machine, but obscure to people outside of the Titans fanbase.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Well, they don't meet the "not flashy" criteria, but for the Titans, the underrated player that jumps out is Jayon Brown.  Possibly the best pass-defending LB in the NFL, and I don't say that lightly.

Over the past two seasons, he's had 15 passes defended, with 2 interceptions (one for a TD) , 7 sacks, and 210 tackles, 14 TFLs, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries (one for a TD). Dude is a playmaking machine, but obscure to people outside of the Titans fanbase.

damn

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

i won't say he's done this singlehandedly, because we've had coaching changes and gotten a lot better overall, but there was a period of time from the end of the fisher years all the way through the whisenhunt era, literally almost a decade, where we couldn't cover tight ends or RBs to save our lives. it was automatic, week in and week out. so seeing the difference jayon makes is pretty amazing

Man, I love a lot of the guys that have been stated so far. Brandon Williams is well-regarded as a dominant run defender (wasn't he the highest-paid nose at one point?), Braden Smith made an improbable-yet-flawless transition from good college guard to great NFL tackle, Jayon Brown is a menace in the passing game (almost as good as Hightower as a blitzer while being really good in coverage), JC Tretter was even underrated by many in Cleveland's faithful up until recently, Lawrence Guy had those incredible highlights against the Browns and is everything Michael Brockers is advertised to be, Adam Butler is very promising, and Chung has been able to hang around as a starter and key player for quite some time. 

Johnny Hecker and Corey Peters are some more names to consider. Brennan Scarlett also comes to mind. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i won't say he's done this singlehandedly, because we've had coaching changes and gotten a lot better overall, but there was a period of time from the end of the fisher years all the way through the whisenhunt era, literally almost a decade, where we couldn't cover tight ends or RBs to save our lives. it was automatic, week in and week out. so seeing the difference jayon makes is pretty amazing

Another guy I’d go with is Jonnu Smith. He’s improved every year despite two knee injury ending seasons in the past that stunted his growth. I think he’s definitely coming into his own as a damn good player. He’s an athletic freak at the position and his blocking has improved every season. There’s a reason why Vrabel has stated he’s one of his favorite players ever to coach.

• Like 1