WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

26 minutes ago, MacDog said:

I don't think those t-shirts are indicative of anything other than someone having some novelty shirts made up in hopes of some quick $$$, or a poorly done misdirection.

I am on record as wanting the Red Wolves, but if I had to bet $ on what the name would be, it would be something Jason and Dan think they can use to partner up with some gambling site for a non-football revenue stream. Because that is the kind of guys that they are - Jason wanting to prove he is the smartest guy in the room, and Dan the greediest. With neither giving a flying flip about the fans besides how they can get their hands into our pockets.

Dude its not Red Wolves.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Dude its not Red Wolves.

Explain it to these guys then.

Go ahead, be the bully who tells them that no one cares to save them from extinction because of "commanders" or the entirely fictitious creature named "Redhogs". 🤣

2a5a9b3295fdf3d15f414e03d715995b

Edited by MacDog
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, MacDog said:

Go ahead, be the bully who tells them that no one cares to save them from extinction because of "commanders" or the entirely fictitious creature named "Redhogs". 🤣

I mean, not saying it’s you, but I’m blown away by the amount of fans that think this is some crazy ploy by the team to roll out RedWolves at the end. It’s not the name. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, not saying it’s you, but I’m blown away by the amount of fans that think this is some crazy ploy by the team to roll out RedWolves at the end. It’s not the name. 

I think because with most teams the actual owner and GM would care about the what the fans wanted, especially after selling how they will listen to the fans when choosing the name. Then I/we have to remind ourselves this isn't most owners, this is Dan and Jason's baby, no matter what they told us from the beginning.

It will be whatever they want it to be, and my bet is it will be a tie in with online gambling site.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MacDog said:

I think because with most teams the actual owner and GM would care about the what the fans wanted, especially after selling how they will listen to the fans when choosing the name. Then I/we have to remind ourselves this isn't most owners, this is Dan and Jason's baby, no matter what they told us from the beginning.

It will be whatever they want it to be, and my bet is it will be a tie in with online gambling site.

I don’t agree. I really can’t think of once instance where a team changed its name and took what the fans wanted into account. 

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t agree. I really can’t think of once instance where a team changed its name and took what the fans wanted into account. 

I don't think I was alive for any NFL name changes, and I am pretty old. So, I really don't know.

But as I remember most expansion teams draw on fan opinions - Ravens (not expansion but name change now that I think on it), Seahawks, Buccaneers, Panthers, (don't remember if fans wanted Jaguars), and of course the Browns after the original team bolted to Baltimore and the city then got an expansion to replace them, even NHL Kraken. 

But it is true MBL Indians, and NBA Bullets did not listen to fans. I guess if the owner is pretty much forced to change the name, then they just do what they want and say eff the fans. 

But none of that changes that they outright lied by saying that they would listen to the fans in our case.

Interesting tidbit about the Quebec Nordiques moving to Colorado and the ownership group renaming them: 

reportedly decided to name the team Rocky Mountain Extreme. However, when The Denver Post leaked the new name, fan reaction was so negative that COMSAT reversed course and decided to name the team the "Colorado Avalanche."

So in a way they did end up listening to the fans.

But I doubt dan or Jason care what the fans think and assume they can just force any name on us. Why wouldn't they?

Edited by MacDog

Follow-up after doing research:

How did the Jacksonville Jaguars get their nickname?

In 1991, two years before the city was officially awarded an expansion team, a fan contest was held to choose Jacksonville’s nickname. Names such as the “Sharks” and the “Stingrays” were considered before finally settling on the “Jaguars.” Though jaguars aren’t technically native to the city, the oldest living jaguar in North America was housed in the Jacksonville Zoo.

1 hour ago, MacDog said:

I don't think I was alive for any NFL name changes, and I am pretty old. So, I really don't know.

But as I remember most expansion teams draw on fan opinions - Ravens (not expansion but name change now that I think on it), Seahawks, Buccaneers, Panthers, (don't remember if fans wanted Jaguars), and of course the Browns after the original team bolted to Baltimore and the city then got an expansion to replace them, even NHL Kraken. 

But it is true MBL Indians, and NBA Bullets did not listen to fans. I guess if the owner is pretty much forced to change the name, then they just do what they want and say eff the fans. 

But none of that changes that they outright lied by saying that they would listen to the fans in our case.

Interesting tidbit about the Quebec Nordiques moving to Colorado and the ownership group renaming them: 

So in a way they did end up listening to the fans.

But I doubt dan or Jason care what the fans think and assume they can just force any name on us. Why wouldn't they?

The Oilers became the Titans. The Browns became the Ravens. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The Oilers became the Titans. The Browns became the Ravens. 

The Raven's name was chosen from a fan contest.

Bud Adams put together a committee to choose the name and didn't consult the fans that I know of, but he also didn't lie to the fans and pretend he was listening to them or send a mouthpiece GM ot to tell that lie.

8 hours ago, MacDog said:

The Raven's name was chosen from a fan contest.

Bud Adams put together a committee to choose the name and didn't consult the fans that I know of, but he also didn't lie to the fans and pretend he was listening to them or send a mouthpiece GM ot to tell that lie.

Titans is my least fav name in the NFL . Now if you shortened it to **** , it's not bad .

12 hours ago, MacDog said:

Actually, the Red Hog is not fictitious. Look below. That is a red hog. 

Red-river-hog.jpg