WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Honestly I think most people don't care at this point.  Everyone just knows its going to suck so why hype it up. 

This is legit where I’m at. I don’t even care like I’d love to see them actually do something tight but it’s Dan Snyder we know that isn’t happening. I do wish we could just find out but I don’t ex

• Like 2

BUT, my disclaimer is quite simple. 

If it is the Commanders, I will be done. I cannot take it with this team. They have had one identity over the last 2 decades and its that Rain Man fat boy owner Dan Snyder. When anyone thinks about this team and its new name, its going to be Snyder that comes to the forefront. 

I absolutely hate what Snyder has done to this franchise. 

I don't like Ron Rivera as the coach. I don't like the role Doug Williams has. I don't like the role that Jason Wright has. 

2 years to come up with a name that a majority of the fan base wanted, and trademarks got in the way? 

I could have gotten behind a name that had a lot of history and tradition behind it, but still could have meant something completely different:

The Washington Marshalls

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Honestly I think most people don't care at this point.  Everyone just knows its going to suck so why hype it up. 

I totally disagree. I think most fans care they just wanted one name and they ruled it out so it took the wind out of their sails. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 3:46 PM, turtle28 said:

Agreed. Commanders is awful.

Weirdly, I think the thing I dislike the most about it (aside from the generic military thing) is that it’s kind of a middling rank. Yeah, we’re in charge of…something. But if we run into the captains or the admirals or the commodores or the generals, we’re going to have to fall in line immediately. 

I also don’t like that it reminds of Cobra Commander, who I’m sure we all recall was the main bad guy in GI Joe. This guy:

cobra GIF

I would actually prefer the name Cobras, now that I think about it. I don’t particular care for snakes, but it could be pretty cool. And there’s an obvious local tie-in/symbolism, what’s more representative of DC than a bunch of snakes at this point?

That said, if we’re going with a snake, maybe it should be Anacondas or Constrictors. To tie in with the team history — specifically the part where Dan Snyder took hold of the franchise and spent the next 20+ years relentlessly squeezing the life out of it. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I totally disagree. I think most fans care they just wanted one name and they ruled it out so it took the wind out of their sails. 

I definitely think it’s this. There was a genuine, organic desire among a substantial portion of the fanbase for a certain name. If that name was on the table, I think anticipation for 2/2 would have been much higher. 

When they preemptively eliminated that name, the air went out of the balloon. No one actually wanted any of these other names, even the people who didn’t want Redwolves, and so the only enthusiasm that existed was instantly extinguished. Now the Redwolves group has just joined the rest of the fanbase in apathy and general dread. 

43 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I definitely think it’s this. There was a genuine, organic desire among a substantial portion of the fanbase for a certain name. If that name was on the table, I think anticipation for 2/2 would have been much higher. 

When they preemptively eliminated that name, the air went out of the balloon. No one actually wanted any of these other names, even the people who didn’t want Redwolves, and so the only enthusiasm that existed was instantly extinguished. Now the Redwolves group has just joined the rest of the fanbase in apathy and general dread. 

Yep. I’ve said it multiple times I didn’t care for Redwolves but it worked and a large portion of the fanbase seemed to love it. It was their opportunity to build some faith back in the fanbase and instead they had Jason Wright come out with some silly excuse and then tell everyone the name isn’t just about football but it’s about a brand. He’s another one in a long line of failures that’s just been a total disaster of a team president. 

• Like 1