WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Really? I guess I never paid attention to it to know the fans picked it. Name is still terrible though lol

No argument from me there lol 

Honestly it was kinda like Red Wolf. It was fans contribution early and just had momentum  from the base the whole time. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t agree. I really can’t think of once instance where a team changed its name and took what the fans wanted into account. 

Wasn’t the Wizards chosen off of a fan poll?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1996-02-23-1996054046-story.html

Wow! What a depressing article reading about Chris Webber & Rasheed Wallace being there at the name reveal and talking about the new name.

“Webber having recovered from season-ending shoulder surgery, said the new name was "all right."

I= "I'll just have to have Wizards on my ring," Webber said.”

Edited by turtle28

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Richmond Flying Squirrels somehow won a fan vote.  

I thought that was just awful-- at the time  -but,, it's really caught on ! Better than the Yard Goats .., maybe. Worst ever - Amarillo Sod Poodles .. HUH ???

Edited by RSkinGM

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Have to figure a guy who played with the Hogs wouldn’t have “crucified” that name (or some derivation). And this is a presumption on my part, but given the historical context, I’m figuring Charles Mann probably wouldn’t have “crucified” Redtails either. 

If there was ever any doubt that it was going to be some lame, generic, vaguely jingoistic military propaganda name, I think that ship’s probably sailed. It was pretty clear it was headed that way 18 months ago, as soon as it became evident that our “Commander-in-Chief”** Ron Rivera was going to play a significant role in the process. 

Also worth noting that if they had their Zoom call with the former players 3 months ago, as Mann indicated, they also totally BSed them as much as they did the fans. If that “jersey reveal” video really did take place in the summer/early fall — as it seems it must have, based on the leaves in the Redskins Park background — then the concept was already decided upon long before they took the three “finalists” to their former player committee.

** - sadly, we won’t be able to use this term for Rivera once they become the Commanders, due both to outrage from Native American groups and the hundreds (possibly even thousands) of dollars it would cost to ward off the frivolous and likely non-existent intellectual property claims coming out of Kansas City. 

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Assuming it is Commanders, that has to cement DC as easily the worst “team name” city out of all the 4-sport cities, right? Or even all the multiple-sport cities?

Commanders would easily be the worst name in all of Pro Sports. It’s god awful. All of this because a stubborn old man wouldn’t leave the team to his son. Thanks Jack.