WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

19 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

It fits ( Redskins were consider Warriors so we have that connection ) It's just a stale name .

I don’t see how it’s a stale name. I see nothing wrong with the team name Warriors. I haven’t heard anyone ever say the Golden State Warriors name is a bad name or whatever.

23 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

It fits ( Redskins were consider Warriors so we have that connection ) It's just a stale name .

No they wernt. The term actually refers to what the French called Knights during the Medieval era. Natives didnt have a standing army, developed war weaponry or anything of the sorts. They were more like Minute Men that came to the call and were naturally peaceful by nature. Putting them with Warriors seems stereotypically worse than the drawings Dr Seuss got called out for.

If going to use "Warriors".  Have to use knights. Or the whole name issue thing starts all over again.

29 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

No they wernt. The term actually refers to what the French called Knights during the Medieval era. Natives didnt have a standing army, developed war weaponry or anything of the sorts. They were more like Minute Men that came to the call and were naturally peaceful by nature. Putting them with Warriors seems stereotypically worse than the drawings Dr Seuss got called out for.

If going to use "Warriors".  Have to use knights. Or the whole name issue thing starts all over again.

The name issue is not going to start over if we go to Warriors. Only if we went to Warriors & used Native American imagery. The Golden State Warriors have been named that since 1946 & no one has ever suggested they needed to change the name.  Warriors is a wide ranging descriptions of those who go to war or battle over centuries of time, it doesn’t represent any one group.

As long as we stay away from Native American imagery any name is fine and won’t be challenged by Native Americans in court because they’ll have no case.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Some of these names are atrocious. Who comes up with some of these names?

I mean..."Rising"? Really...?

There's MAYBE 2 or 3 names in the whole bunch that wouldn't leave me vomiting after switching too.

And about 1/2 of them would make me reconsider my loyalty to the Washington Football brand.

Lol..really?

"And here are your Washington Beacons"

That's Pathetic..

I think they should add a new name to the list.

How about Washington Vaccines?

That would truly put the fear in teams.

I would immediately think....

"Wow...now that team is LETHAL".

20 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Oh Really ??

https://www.pbs.org/wned/warrior-tradition/features/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-warrior/

38 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Some of these names are atrocious. Who comes up with some of these names?

I mean..."Rising"? Really...?

There's MAYBE 2 or 3 names in the whole bunch that wouldn't leave me vomiting after switching too.

And about 1/2 of them would make me reconsider my loyalty to the Washington Football brand.

Lol..really?

"And here are your Washington Beacons"

That's Pathetic..

I think they should add a new name to the list.

How about Washington Vaccines?

That would truly put the fear in teams.

I would immediately think....

"Wow...now that team is LETHAL".

Just stop

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Middle English: from Old Northern French werreior, variant of Old French guerreior, from guerreier ‘make war’, from guerre ‘war’.

From what Sitting Bull said. Ghandi would be a warrior. But did he even know any French words to begin with to even be able to understand its origins meaning?

Like I said. Going to use the tern. Use how it originated. Or could end up being in the same type situation. Cause they wernt war bringers and had no standing forces to be such. And some of those historically peaceful tribes could take offense.

Use how it originated to nip any capability of backlash in the bud. Not about you cant use it that way. Its about using it to insure theres never anymore drama.