1/4 season brief thoughts

squire12

Feeling pretty good about this team so far. I think we unleash Bennett a bit more with both tackles healthy going forward. I haven't reviewed the OL assignments much but I assume we used him alot as a 6th blocker to assist the tackles so he was never really able to run down the field routes much. 

I'd like to describe it in terms of feelings:

3: I'll be ecstatic, jumping up and down like Billy Elliot

2: I'll be happy but think it was kinda expected

1: I'll be somewhat down but also think it was kinda expected

0: I'll start my first thread ever asking for the heads of many coaches

Offensive line depth has actually been excellent concerning all of the starters and key substitutes that are hurt. Defense looks to be top half the league worthy, at least potentially. Bennet and Williams have been a bit of a disappintment offensively. Randall and Ryan have been a disappointment defensively. Good team not great - top 15 in the NFL this year. 10-6 record would be a good year. 

37 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Offensive line depth has actually been excellent concerning all of the starters and key substitutes that are hurt. Defense looks to be top half the league worthy, at least potentially. Bennet and Williams have been a bit of a disappintment offensively. Randall and Ryan have been a disappointment defensively. Good team not great - top 15 in the NFL this year. 10-6 record would be a good year. 

IMO - 10-6 would not be a good year.  They have a much improved defense and when healthy one of the top 5 offenses in the league.  10-6 would be a disappointment.  

59 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

IMO - 10-6 would not be a good year.  They have a much improved defense and when healthy one of the top 5 offenses in the league.  10-6 would be a disappointment.  

I'm fine with 10 wins. I'm not sure it's a good year. But arguing what good means to each of us again haha

6 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'm fine with 10 wins. I'm not sure it's a good year. But arguing what good means to each of us again haha

Not arguing what good means.  Giving my opinion.  That is what IMO means.  In My Opinion.  

12 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Not arguing what good means.  Giving my opinion.  That is what IMO means.  In My Opinion.  

Relax tiger. :) Good means different things to different people. That's all my point was. I completely realize they're both opinions. That's the point I suppose.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Relax tiger. Good means different things to different people. That's all my point was.

I already pointed that same thing out in this exact thread.  I understand some may feel 10-6 would be good.  I don't think it would be.  I truly believe this is a Super Bowl quality team if they can get healthy.  12-4 would be good in my opinion.  I am not discrediting his opinion that 10-6 would be good just stating my opinion that it would be disappointing.  10-6 may not be good enough for a wild card.  

Just now, eyecatcher said:

I already pointed that same thing out in this exact thread.  I understand some may feel 10-6 would be good.  I don't think it would be.  I truly believe this is a Super Bowl quality team if they can get healthy.  12-4 would be good in my opinion.  I am not discrediting his opinion that 10-6 would be good just stating my opinion that it would be disappointing.  10-6 may not be good enough for a wild card.  

I feel ya. On the same page. I think it'd get is in. Wouldn't call it good or be happy but could take it

I truly believe that once this offense is healthy and intact (Tackles back, Adams and Monty back) that this team will be unstoppable.

And our defense is currently ranked 6th overall and 5th against the pass.

Kevin King and Josh Jones might be the real deal. 

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

10-6 was good enough in 2010.  It will depend upon how the season goes in the NFC.

1 hour ago, Siman08/OH said:

I truly believe that once this offense is healthy and intact (Tackles back, Adams and Monty back) that this team will be unstoppable.

And our defense is currently ranked 6th overall and 5th against the pass.

Kevin King and Josh Jones might be the real deal. 

Offense should be unstoppable, but it isn't.  The coaching and the scheme will hold it back.  We rely too much on sandlot football.  We don't motion guys open.  We don't exploit defensive weaknesses.  We do not set plays up, except for a bootleg.  I watched the Chiefs last night...Reid does all of that and then some.  Heck, even Chicago has a series of plays designed to build off of one another.  Our offense is putting Aaron under center and telling him to make a play.

This team needs some better gameplaning and execution on offense.

The D appears solid enough.

Get healthy, run some better offense and see what happens.  They have the pieces to be a top contender. 

Holmgren ran the best offense I ever saw. I remember him using that spin handoff to Levens against S.F. because everyone said all you have to do is follow the fullback. Huge chunks of yardage in a playoff game. That Tiger formation gave teams fits. It was almost like we never ran the same play twice. It's well documented that we look static sometimes. Hell even Sherman ran the bone formation. 

Draws, slants, screens, that little fullback flare that has never gained less than 8 yards. Holmgren seemed to have 100 variations of this stuff every week. Have to remember that MM actually came from the Kansas City tree which was a tad different. Rodgers can mask many sins, and maybe coaches can become lazy in the creative dept. with that crutch. Loved seeing the flea flicker used with options other than all or nothing. 

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Offense should be unstoppable, but it isn't.  The coaching and the scheme will hold it back.  We rely too much on sandlot football.  We don't motion guys open.  We don't exploit defensive weaknesses.  We do not set plays up, except for a bootleg. 

Here's Larry McCarren with a tutorial on how the Packers coaches and scheme went 5 for 5 in the red zone. No sandlot, classic set- ups, exploiting the defensive weaknesses and using previous plays to beat them later in the game from the same formation.

http://m.packers.com/news/video/rock-report-cool-factor-573aed71-443b-496d-ac21-4631440b4d42

Archived