Cowboys have top 5 safety tandem heading into 2020 per PFF

DaBoys

5. HA HA CLINTON-DIX & XAVIER WOODSDALLAS COWBOYS

Both Clinton-Dix and Woods have earned top-20 coverage grades over the last two seasons, combining for a total of 34 turnovers during their brief NFL careers.

Both safeties have proven to be more than efficient when featured in a man-coverage scheme. Over the last two years, Clinton-Dix has the second-highest man-coverage grade (87.8) among the 31 qualifying safeties over that period, while Woods (70.2) ranks 17th. Together, they've allowed only 19 receptions from 31 targets in man coverage, giving up only 151 yards and a touchdown while coming away with six combined interceptions. 

Clinton-Dix's recent production has been somewhat overshadowed by his frequent moves and the lack of a long-term contract. But with a second-ranked man coverage grade (88.6) while aligned in the box and a 10th-ranked run-defense grade (79.7) when aligned as a slot-defender, Clinton-Dix has proved to be as versatile as any safety in the game.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-safety-2020-nfl-season-minnesota-vikings-new-england-patriots

Had no idea Ha-Ha was such a PFF darling.

...and... HOLY COW!!! When was the last time the Dallas Cowboys fans were excited about our DTs and Safeties!!??

HHCD is a good player.  Not great, but good.  He got a bad rap in GB and Washington primarily IMO because of players around him not doing their jobs .  He has had some bad reps, but so as most everyone. 

I watched his previous games closely before last season because he was going to Bears.  He played about as I expected he would.   

His best quality is if a ball hits his hands he will catch it.  Not knock it down or drop it like most DBs.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And this is why i detest PFF. Statistics, analytics, and different measurables are a small part of the story. A tiny fraction.

Roy Williams had 5 picks in a year. Doubt anyone would have called him good in coverage. And paired with Woodson in 03, we allowed the fewest plays of 25 or more yards. I dont think anyone would have called that secondary even close to good. No, the scheme, the pressure, the schedule, the run stopping front 7, all allowed that secondary to play well. But by PFF measurements, it would have been a top tandem back there.

Pfft.

8 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

And this is why i detest PFF. Statistics, analytics, and different measurables are a small part of the story. A tiny fraction.

Roy Williams had 5 picks in a year. Doubt anyone would have called him good in coverage. And paired with Woodson in 03, we allowed the fewest plays of 25 or more yards. I dont think anyone would have called that secondary even close to good. No, the scheme, the pressure, the schedule, the run stopping front 7, all allowed that secondary to play well. But by PFF measurements, it would have been a top tandem back there.

Pfft.

Pretty much all stats are like that though when it comes to football. That's why they call it the ultimate team game. 

1 minute ago, Tony7188 said:

We have a Top 5 safety tandem? Lmao 

Xavier Woods is a backup and Thompson shouldn’t even be on a NFL roster. 

Won’t argue this too much. Woods is serviceable. ET should very much be in the crosshairs this week though. Team desperately needs a captain in back half.

• Like 1