CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

32 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well yeah all of the Pac 12 teams leaving was desperation moves... i think the ACC, Big 12, Big 10 and SEC have to get together cause i dont see this system sustaining with leagues sepeterated on other sides of the country

At this point, let’s just go all in and make it the minor league football league. Split it into two conferences with multiple division/groups separated geographically. 6-8 teams from each conference make the playoffs.

In fact, let’s get even more spicy by adding promotion/regelation with the lower teams in the new “Super League” and the top teams/champions in the G5/“Smaller League’.

6 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

At this point, let’s just go all in and make it the minor league football league. Split it into two conferences with multiple division/groups separated geographically. 6-8 teams from each conference make the playoffs.

In fact, let’s get even more spicy by adding promotion/regelation with the lower teams in the new “Super League” and the top teams/champions in the G5/“Smaller League’.

That's not CFB anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from because CFB is trying to have it both ways where it's all about local rivalries and community while actively whoring themselves for any dollar they can find. I get the desire to just go all the way and be done with it.

And what you proposed is a more entertaining sports product than current CFB and is more purpose-driven for high level kids who are in college exclusively to try to make the NFL and couldn't care less about an education. I'm not saying this system is a bad idea, but it simply isn't college football any more, and for me there wouldn't be any connection to the league.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's not CFB anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from because CFB is trying to have it both ways where it's all about local rivalries and community while actively whoring themselves for any dollar they can find. I get the desire to just go all the way and be done with it.

And what you proposed is a more entertaining sports product than current CFB and is more purpose-driven for high level kids who are in college exclusively to try to make the NFL and couldn't care less about an education. I'm not saying this system is a bad idea, but it simply isn't college football any more, and for me there wouldn't be any connection to the league.

Let’s not kid ourselves, we’re honestly already at the point where it’s feeling more like the minor football league than college football. With NIL, the transfer portal, conference realignment, these massive tv deals, more games, ect., we’re pretty much halfway through the door of being a professional league.

I’m just at the point now of just ripping off the bandaid and going full minor league football.

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

Let’s not kid ourselves, we’re honestly already at the point where it’s feeling more like the minor football league than college football. With NIL, the transfer portal, conference realignment, these massive tv deals, more games, ect., we’re pretty much halfway through the door of being a professional league.

I’m just at the point now of just ripping off the bandaid and going full minor league football.

I'm not saying don't do that, I'm saying start a new league.

Getting rid of rivalry in CFB - which is what promotion and relegation are - isn't ripping a band-aid off. That's destroying the core of the product.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm not saying don't do that, I'm saying start a new league.

Getting rid of rivalry in CFB - which is what promotion and relegation are - isn't ripping a band-aid off. That's destroying the core of the product.

Yeah, promotion/relegation will never happen. There’s no way a school like Bama or Michigan would risk falling to a lower level because of a few bad years. That was more of me just throwing a fun thing I’d personally enjoy.

However I do feel it’s a matter of when, not if, we get some type of Mega Conference/League in college football. 

My personal bias is probably at play here, but I don't think college football mirroring the NFL as much as they are now, and seemingly leaning into even more moving forward, is going to be good for it, as a whole.  Short term, it doesn't much matter, but long term, it is losing a lot of what separates it, and allows it to stand on its own.  The more they emulate the NFL, the more the overall quality of the product/athlete will be directly compared.  That isn't a good thing for college football, imo.  It's going to become even more of a minor league, without the window dressing of the traditions and rivalries, etc, and not in a positive way.  That's a harder sell.  You're going to alienate a portion of your existing fanbase, while simultaneously providing an overall inferior product to a near direct competitor.  I don't know if chasing the immediate dollar is the right move, when that dollar is built off of the back of what you were vs what the pursuit of that dollar is leading you to become.   What reason do new fans have to buy into college's current trajectory over what is already offered by the NFL?

Will people have as much interest in consuming both, at that point?  Do any minor leagues bring in as much revenue as college football has, relative to their top tier professional counterpart?  Do these moves put major college football in a stronger or weaker position 10, 20 years from now?  Did I become an old man yelling at clouds, without even releasing it, and just completely overreacting, or is there actual cause for concern?

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 2

People overrate the travel costs IMO. These schools wouldn't commit to these moves if the travel costs were as prohibitive as perceived. The issue should be more about the travel ON the athletes than the cost of said travel. The costs will always be incorporated in these deals but the human tolls never are. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

My personal bias is probably at play here, but I don't think college football mirroring the NFL as much as they are now, and seemingly leaning into even more moving forward, is going to be good for it, as a whole.  Short term, it doesn't much matter, but long term, it is losing a lot of what separates it, and allows it to stand on its own.  The more they emulate the NFL, the more the overall quality of the product/athlete will be directly compared.  That isn't a good thing for college football, imo.  It's going to become even more of a minor league, without the window dressing of the traditions and rivalries, etc, and not in a positive way.  That's a harder sell.  You're going to alienate a portion of your existing fanbase, while simultaneously providing an overall inferior product to a near direct competitor.  I don't know if chasing the immediate dollar is the right move, when that dollar is built off of the back of what you were vs what the pursuit of that dollar is leading you to become.   What reason do new fans have to buy into college's current trajectory over what is already offered by the NFL?

Will people have as much interest in consuming both, at that point?  Do any minor leagues bring in as much revenue as college football has, relative to their top tier professional counterpart?  Do these moves put major college football in a stronger or weaker position 10, 20 years from now?  Did I become an old man yelling at clouds, without even releasing it, and just completely overreacting, or is there actual cause for concern?

No, I think you correctly identified that college football as a sport has no vision whatsoever for what the product should be and if they looked at their sports as a whole for 2 seconds, they'd realize it's that lack of leadership that let schools start to eat each other for a larger market share.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No, I think you correctly identified that college football as a sport has no vision whatsoever for what the product should be and if they looked at their sports as a whole for 2 seconds, they'd realize it's that lack of leadership that let schools start to eat each other for a larger market share.

If the NCAA wasn't such a joke this could have all been nipped in the bud, fixed, and dealt with. As it stands the sport as constituted has maybe a decade left before this wanton self cannibalism just blows the entire thing apart once they start fighting over TV deals

• Like 1