Bengals to sign DT Mike Daniels

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

204 snaps.  Flowers had 705 for comparison purposes.  He was hurt.  Again.

He had shown some flashes at times later on in the year. My understanding is that he had wanted to come back to the Lions and I had been hoping for him to re-up with Detroit. 

I am really hoping that he is past his prime and this was a wise move by Bob Quinn to not re-sign him. 

He was in on Friday/saturday.  Seems like it takes the front office forever to get ink to dry and announce these type of things.

Daniels will be DJ Reader's backup, presumably.  We lost one backup DT to injury (Ryan Glascow), one opted out (Tupou) and we lost one to Cleveland in free agency (Billings) after signing Reader.  If we casn get 400 healthy snaps with some production, it is a great signing.  If he struggles with injuries again, then, well............

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

He had shown some flashes at times later on in the year. My understanding is that he had wanted to come back to the Lions and I had been hoping for him to re-up with Detroit. 

I am really hoping that he is past his prime and this was a wise move by Bob Quinn to not re-sign him. 

It was.  Daniels is a great guy, but he's short.  Maybe he's 6 feet tall.  And he usually is around 300 pounds.  Old wrestler.  He uses leverage, hands and intensity to win.  Without those feet, he's got no leverage.  And those feet are shot.

Maybe someone can squeak 3-4 games out of him, but the reality is that his feet just can't hold up that weight and be effective.

I would have thought he would have signed with Minnesota or Chicago.  Mike's got this fiery personality and he would have been jacked for 4 games against former teams.  He would have balled out in that situation, just due to who he is.

But in Cincy?  Who knows.  Maybe they can play him in a rotation and get a few more games out of him, but it's a long shot.  He hasn't really been "good" or "right" for well over 2 years now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Much respect for Mike, but his game is about leverage and power.  He needs his legs.  And his feet have been shot for 2 years now.  Maybe even 2.5 or 3.

Still, he's a quality person and would be great in any locker room.

Feet look okay. MD is one of my favorite personalities in the league. Cincy dline looks nice on paper