Week 1 Eagles Vs Washington (Insert name)

mar29020

16 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

im kinda curious if this is a tank year for us. The talent on offense is abysmal. The defense can only be good if the Offense can sustain drives and keep them fresh.

It has to be. There’s no other explanation for going into the season like this. They had a ton of cap space and did nothing with it. Traded away their LT with no replacement. Let Flowers walk and didn’t replace him. Got significantly worse at TE. Basically everyone is counting on Gibson being amazing and he had like 77 touches in D-1. On paper, this is probably the least talented offense in the NFL coupled with a first year OC who doesn’t seem to think we need to run the ball. Unless the defense is otherworldly we’re going to be in the Trevor Lawrence race which really isn’t fair to Haskins given the crap they’ve surrounded him with. 

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Tank year/evaluation of a young roster year, same difference. It is what it is, hope for the best as always as a Washington sports fan but expect the worse. That’s been our lives the last 27 years save a handful of years.

Nothing new. I'd definitely put in recommendation for you to be a Washington Football Team cover guy. They do No Wrong in your eye. Everything will be just fine from your and their perspective. 

I don’t think the Eagles are very good. Minimal offensive talent outside of Wentz, Sanders & Ertz. 

WFT will stack the box and force Wentz to beat them. However, I’m not sure what to expect from the WFT offense. Could take a few weeks to get the unit familiarized.

23-13 Eagles

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I don’t think the Eagles are very good. Minimal offensive talent outside of Wentz, Sanders & Ertz. 

WFT will stack the box and force Wentz to beat them. However, I’m not sure what to expect from the WFT offense. Could take a few weeks to get the unit familiarized.

23-13 Eagles

They still have DJax & Jeffery @ WR.

Their DL is really good and deep. Their secondary actually might be better than last year bc they have Darius Slay. I can’t remember the last time they had a corner that good.

Their LBs are trash though, their LBs are way worse than ours and that’s saying a hell of a lot. 

They had two huge injuries to their OL and that could make for a long season. It’s impossible to replace an OG of Brandon Brooks’ caliber.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

They still have DJax & Jeffery @ WR.

Their DL is really good and deep. Their secondary actually might be better than last year bc they have Darius Slay. I can’t remember the last time they had a corner that good.

Their LBs are trash though, their LBs are way worse than ours and that’s saying a hell of a lot. 

They had two huge injuries to their OL and that could make for a long season. It’s impossible to replace an OG of Brandon Brooks’ caliber.

Asante Samuel was the last one I can remember. But I expect a really tough low scoring game. 

4 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

I dont think this is a tank year at all. Its not like they didnt try to sign skill players. No one wants to play here. Amari Cooper took less money to stay in Dallas. We need time to prove to FAs that this is not the same dumpster fire as in the past. 

Well then it’s a tank year by default. Also, we offered less guaranteed $ to Cooper by almost $40 million and less guaranteed to Hooper as well.

Here’s the kicker though, if Steven Sims has an average season for a  #2  WR this year, and Logan Thomas is serviceable our passing game is going to be fine and be a lot better than it was last year.

I have no reason to believe that Steven Sims is going to all of a sudden forget how to run amazing routes and break corners ankles off as he creates amazing separation. Then you throw in Gibson & McKissic too and I think people will be shocked at how versatile and effective our offense will be.

So, if Haskins just plays like he did last December in his final 2 starts and Steven Sims plays like he did in December our passing game is going to be fine.

Is it going to look like Kirk Cousins to Jordan Reed, DJax, Garçon & Crowder like in 2016?

No, but that’s the only season our  passing game has only looked like that in the last 27 years, once in 27 years folks.

Our passing game could look like the 2015 & 2017 versions of the Washington offense though if Haskins has developed like we all think/hope he has and if Logan Thomas can just be a big athletic target at TE who actually catches passes - unlike Sprinkle last year. 

Those 3 things and Gerron Christian being serviceable at LT are the keys for our passing game being able to get over 3500 yards & over 20 TDs.  

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 2:16 PM, lavar703 said:

It has to be.

Given the investment in the defense over the past couple of years, I am not certain that can actually happen. The defense up front has too much talent to be run out of town regularly.

Oh I still think that 5 wins is arguably their ceiling, but I don't think it will be due to tanking intentionally.

They had a ton of cap space and did nothing with it.

I'll say it again: Washington is the franchise players come to when they have no other options. Even waving money in players' faces isn't working anymore because of the stench of failure around here. It's going to take Rivera a couple of years of gritty, hard-nosed play where Washington becomes the trap game team to turn the ship around in the players' minds.

Traded away their LT with no replacement.

With whom the relationship was so utterly damaged that they couldn't keep him no matter what Rivera said.

They could have passed on Young and taken a LT at #2. Is that what you would have preferred?

To be fair, they also drafted Saahdiq Charles, a guy who has 1st round level talent but a 6th round head ... but didn't expect him to basically miss the entire preseason with linger injuries.

Let Flowers walk and didn’t replace him.

1. He was a first rate compensatory pick pump primer.
  2. He's also a major risk of regression to the mean player.

Letting him walk was the right idea. More on his replacement in a bit.

Got significantly worse at TE.

How do you figure that? Reed didn't play a single regular season down. Davis played four games (starting one) before his season was ended with a concussion; they weren't going to re-sign him and he retired after the season was over. They kept Jeremy Sprinkle for better or worse (26 catches on 40 targets for 241 yards (9.3 ypr), 1 TD) and Hale Hentges (on the practice squad now, but 8 catches on 14 targets for 103 yards (12.9 ypr), 1 TD).

So, Logan Thomas and Marcus Baugh are worse than guys who didn't really even play? Really?

Basically everyone is counting on Gibson being amazing and he had like 77 touches in D-1.

Due to the Montez Sweat trade, Gibson was the first pick they had after they took Chase Young. So, you'd rather they had replaced Flowers with Damien Lewis or Jonah Jackson here ... but you then immediately say

On paper, this is probably the least talented offense

So, you want less talent on offense? You'd rather they had gone guard in the third and kept Peterson in a scheme that doesn't favor what he wants to do making him a potential problem on the sideline because

a first year OC who doesn’t seem to think we need to run the ball.

You know Peterson would not have been happy with this system, right?

Unless the defense is otherworldly we’re going to be in the Trevor Lawrence top overall pick race which really isn’t fair to Haskins given the crap they’ve surrounded him with. 

They still could be because they have had so many holes from the previous maladministration! There's not a lot you can do when you're having to dig out a major hole. You just try to do your best with what you can and then adjust in year two.

Yes, this team has been landfill levels of putrid for years. It's going to take time to fix that. It's entirely possible Rivera won't be able to or Snyder will get involved and screw it up.

But to demand an adequate offense two years removed from seeing Josh Johnson and ButtFumble starting, or one year removed from a staff that thought it smart to start Case Keenum and Colt McCoy for the first nine games of the season (but throwing the potential QB of the future into a game cold, one that he hadn't prepared for) is asking a lot of this team.

Targets that left the building this offseason/unavailable this season

• Chris Thompson (58, 2nd on team) [contract expired]
  • Trey Quinn (47, 4th on team) [waived]
  • Kelvin Harmon (44, 5th on team) [IR]
  • Paul Richardson (42, 6th on team) [cut]
  • Adrian Peterson (23, 8th on team) [cut]
  • Vernon Davis (19, 9th on team) [contract expired & retired]
  • Wendell Smallwood (13, 11th on team) [contract expired]
  • Derrius Guice (9, 12th on team) [cut]

So, yeah, things are likely going to be rough. Harmon's injury was arguably the worst since they had expected him to take the #2 but he was done for the season in late June.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Man Keenum was pretty awful in the beginning of the season last year. Terry & Quinn running wide open, he misses them.

I think that was Richardson on the second play where there is literally no one within 10 yards of him in any direction.

• Like 1