Final Roster Cuts/Moves Thread

e16bball

59 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m fine with most of what you guys are saying, but I have to push back on this point. 

I too thought they made a strong offer for Amari and he just chose Dallas for various reasons  — right up until Keim said our offer came with just $23M in guaranteed money. For reference, Amari ended up getting $60M guaranteed from the Cowboys. Austin Hooper got $23M guaranteed — on his $42M contract.

That’s not a legitimate offer for a top 10ish WR. That’s a blatant low-ball. One has to assume their goal was either to drive up the price for the Cowboys or just to allow themselves to say they “made a big offer to Amari Cooper” to placate impatient fans. Assuming Keim was correct about the guaranteed money, I’m sure Cooper never gave that “offer” a moment’s consideration. 

Maybe it was the first offer, we don’t know the negotiations and how they went. After the first offer they may have just talked to the Browns & Cowboys and used us to drive up the price for them - which usually happens which is.

And we were like screw it, let’s just build with the young guys for this season $100 million in guaranteed money for two pass catchers just to beat out those offers bc pretty soon we’re going to have to spend more than that to keep most of our own core in tact.

Edited by turtle28

46 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We haven’t picked a receiver before the third round, we retained our PB guard by franchising him because they can’t work out a deal with him and didn’t make any kind of a real offer to Amari.

Look, I’m fine with rebuilding cause god knows we’ve been doing it for 30 years but why are we holding onto Scherff, Kerrigan and signing 38-year old LBs? I just don’t see with how we’ve set up this offense that we don’t end up in the 3-13 to 5-11 range? Rather than do what the Broncos did with Lock and surround him with talent we’ve asked Haskins to make chicken salad out of chicken crap. It just seems like a backwards way of doing things. 

Josh Doctson, have you heard of him? I don’t think it’s the franchises fault that he failed. He went other places the last two years and couldn’t make the roster. It was him, not us.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

What? How is what we’re doing “building the right way”? We didn’t get them because they weren’t willing to be realistic about guaranteed money. It’s not even like we’ve loaded up on draft picks to do this rebuild. If this were an actual rebuild and not just a weird, blatant tank job that makes no sense at all Scherff and Kerrigan would’ve been dealt away. We’re just a team that has no idea what they’re doing. 

Hi Lavar! I think - by the right way, I meant trying to take a long term approach instead of a knee jerk cash dump. That short sighted decision making tends to crash and burn. On the other hand, I am fine with them paying Kerrigan and other vets. There is a lot of lessons to be learned as young professionals. Good to have them around.

I am excited to see what this talent can do with a coach like Ron. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

We haven’t picked a receiver before the third round, we retained our PB guard by franchising him because they can’t work out a deal with him and didn’t make any kind of a real offer to Amari.

Look, I’m fine with rebuilding cause god knows we’ve been doing it for 30 years but why are we holding onto Scherff, Kerrigan and signing 38-year old LBs? I just don’t see with how we’ve set up this offense that we don’t end up in the 3-13 to 5-11 range? Rather than do what the Broncos did with Lock and surround him with talent we’ve asked Haskins to make chicken salad out of chicken crap. It just seems like a backwards way of doing things. 

But do you think the Broncos are ready to roll this season? Like are they threats for the West? I'm not even sure they're ahead of the Chargers. 

57 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Josh Doctson, have you heard of him? I don’t think it’s the franchises fault that he failed. He went other places the last two years and couldn’t make the roster. It was him, not us.

I’m not sure what Docston has to do with now? 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

But do you think the Broncos are ready to roll this season? Like are they threats for the West? I'm not even sure they're ahead of the Chargers. 

Maybe, maybe not but at least they’re giving Lock are fair chance at developing unlike what we’ve done with Haskins. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m fine with most of what you guys are saying, but I have to push back on this point. 

I too thought they made a strong offer for Amari and he just chose Dallas for various reasons  — right up until Keim said our offer came with just $23M in guaranteed money. For reference, Amari ended up getting $60M guaranteed from the Cowboys. Austin Hooper got $23M guaranteed — on his $42M contract.

That’s not a legitimate offer for a top 10ish WR. That’s a blatant low-ball. One has to assume their goal was either to drive up the price for the Cowboys or just to allow themselves to say they “made a big offer to Amari Cooper” to placate impatient fans. Assuming Keim was correct about the guaranteed money, I’m sure Cooper never gave that “offer” a moment’s consideration. 

I had not seen the guaranteed money anywhere. So we offered more money overall over the contract but less guaranteed? Gotcha.

I'll have to look for that. 

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Question. I dont know if this has been talked about, but we should be #1 on the waiver wire now right? With Cincy using theirs, we should be at the top. 

That could be very useful later in the season. 

Is that how that works? I thought that whenever a player was released that went to the waiver wire that the worst team always could claim him first. I think it resets for every player that’s real released that doesn’t have 4 years accrued in the league.

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Maybe, maybe not but at least they’re giving Lock are fair chance at developing unlike what we’ve done with Haskins. 

They are giving Lock a better chance, I agree. They are also a step ahead. Fangio is going into year 2 of his team. They just went 7-9. Maybe we have a growing year and can make our year 2 under Ron leap in 2021. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m not sure what Docston has to do with now? 

I thought you said we haven’t selected a WR in the first 3 rounds, well we did Josh Doctson in 2016 and Terry showed so well last off-season that he made Doctson expendable. If Doctson could have been at least a consistent #2, 50-60 rec, 700, 5-8 TD guy he’d still be here starting opposite Terry but he didn’t have the work ethic to become a good trout runner or the want to to get there.

Edited by turtle28

22 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Nice way to get out of answering the question. 

Because I don't evaluate players as good or bad based solely on stats means I'm not answering the question? 

You're ascribing a method of evaluation of players to me that I've never adhered to. 

So why should I do that?

22 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

And read this carefully. Mknight has been a hater of Haskins since he was drafted.

And yet, @MKnight82's post was that he wants to be able to evaluate Haskins and that it would be bad if he got injured early because...wait for it...we wouldn't be able to evaluate him.

Kinda invalidates your point about him.

Now read this What Winning Franchise would really give up on a 1st round QB after all the BS Haskins had to deal with after year 2? What Franchise would only give their 2nd year QB no Veteran pieces on offense? What Winning Franchise does this to their QB? Name me 1 people! 

Man would I love to see what Lawrence would do in Haskins shoes! Be drafted and not get reps with starters until the HC is fired than have to begin year 2 with a New HC, OC, ect plus deal with Covid-19. No Training Camp, No Preseason. 

Once again Brady, Brees, or Manning wouldn't get 8 wins with this roster. 

The Freaking Cardinals got their QB and then did what? Surrounded him with Talent on the offense! Washington hasn't done that for Haskins people! 

Their offense is full of All Unproven Potential. To some degree even the QB is Unproven.

*sigh*

Literally no one is saying we have a fantastic offense. This entire rant by you, wasted your time arguing with...no one. 

23 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I come from a family of coaches and can break down film.  Here are just a few things I am looking at: 

Pocket awareness.  How a QB moves around the pocket and deals with pressure.  Is he aware of what is going on in front of him, and how is he aware of his blind side.  

Footwork.  How he sets and throws the football.  How does he react under pressure.  What does running look like.  How does he throw on the run.  A subset of footwork are throwing mechanics in general.

Progression.  How does he work through the reads on each play.  Does he lock in on a target.  Does he track who he is intending to throw to, allowing the defense to read his eyes.  

Leadership.  As a business manager, I am also paying attention to interviews and how he carries himself in the public setting.  You can also tell how he is leading the troops by how the team reacts to him in the huddle.  

Yes. Thank you.

At least there's another person who knows how to evaluate talent and not just look at a boxscore and say a QB had a good or bad game because of the stats.