Saints Open to Trading Kamara

HTTRDynasty

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

The Saints are going to be contenders after Brees. I think that a good argument can be made there are a number of guys more important to the team right now. If Kamara is looking to get paid like CMC...I think that you have to let him go. BTW...I just picked up Ty Montgomery in a local dynasty league. He's looked really good in Saints camp and will probably be a pretty big contributor if Kamara isn't around.

The only thing I dont like is that he is asking to be paid like the best RB in football after coming off a very lackluster year--injury or not. The timing just seems weird.

Hes trying to get one over though, I get it. He knows this is the last year with Brees and the season is 2 weeks away. Thats his leverage

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The only thing I dont like is that he is asking to be paid like the best RB in football after coming off a very lackluster year--injury or not. The timing just seems weird.

Hes trying to get one over though, I get it. He knows this is the last year with Brees and the season is 2 weeks away. Thats his leverage

Thats the very interesting part of all of this. They couldn’t keep Teddy to be their future so its ride or die with Brees this year maybe next too. 

5 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thats the very interesting part of all of this. They couldn’t keep Teddy to be their future so its ride or die with Brees this year maybe next too. 

That's why the signing of Winston was so smart though. There's still potential for him to be a starting quarterback. He spends a season learning the system, if Brees retires, they get 14 million back and can give a chunk of that to Winston on a short term 2-3 year deal to see if they can shake something out and he can be a good starter in this league. He's not going to have a legit market after spending a year on the bench, just like he didn't have a real market this year after going 30/30 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chargers said:

Who could be the suitors willing to pay and give him what he really wants which is the bulk of the carries.

This would be the perfect time for the Jagaurs to prove they are not tanking.  They have the draft capital as well as the cap space plus no legit RB on the roster.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Sure but it still isnt something you hear about. I dont think Minnesota said this about Cook and his contract 

Minnesota also doesn't have a lot of young players that are requiring to be paid.  One of the problems with drafting great over a short period of time is that they all need to get paid around the same time as well.  Seattle had to go through it as well.  I think that the Saints just feel more confident in identifying and picking up players that fill the role that Kamara does more than they feel a need to pay him top 3 RB money.  It sucks cuz I really like Kamara and hope they can get a reasonable deal done, but if they can't make it work then they can't make it work.  I'd rather keep Ramzy & Lattimore than Kamara if that's the choice.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

And why would we trade a 1st round pick for a RB that is looking for a huge payday? I realize we're not smart but wow

Yeah, I absolutely loved the idea of going after Kamara when the report dropped but zero interest at all in trading a 1st to get him. He would be a great fit in a Jay Gruden offense and help Minshew immensely, but no thanks.

47 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

And why would we trade a 1st round pick for a RB that is looking for a huge payday? I realize we're not smart but wow

I doubt a 1st rounder is what the true asking price is.  The Saints have to set the market high so that they can eventually settle on a 2nd round pick.  If they asked for a 2nd round pick right now, then the best anybody would offer them is a 3rd. 

With that said, if I was the Jags, I would still trade a 1st round pick (if that's what it ultimately required) to get a player of Alvin Kamara's talent.   And I would give him the huge deal he wants.  How come?  Well two reasons:  First of all,  I think Kamara is as elite at it gets at his position.  I would personally only take Saquon Barkley over him in terms of pure talent and potential impact at the RB position.  Second (and more importantly), I believe Alvin is the rare RB coming up on a second contract where his best football is actually ahead of him.  Remember, Kamara never had that many touches in college.  One of the reasons he fell to the 3rd round was his lack of high-end collegiate production like Fournette, Cook, and McCaffrey.  Add to that the fact that thus far in the NFL career he has mostly been sharing carries.  In terms of RB wear and tear he is about as fresh as you could ask for when it comes to a 25 years old RB coming off 3 Pro Bowl seasons.  I don't think its out of the question that Kamara could have a couple of 1,000 yard rushing/1,000 yard receiving seasons in the next 2-3 years if he's healthy and a true feature back for a team.

In addition, I'm one of the few people who actually thinks the Jaguars are not that far off from being a contender.  I was incredibly impressed with the Jaguars draft this past season.  I think they drafted several impact players.  Then you have the talent that's already on the roster which is not as depleted as most think.  Plus with the amount of draft picks the Jaguars have accumulated they can stand to use some of that capital to add a super talented young player at a position of need for them who is available like Alvin Kamara.  I know its unlikely to happen because nothing suggests the Jaguars front office is trying to compete this year.  But if it was me I would trade for Kamara this year with the intent on being a playoff contender in 2020 rather than being in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes as most seem to think the Jaguars are destined to be.

Edited by VanS

5 minutes ago, VanS said:

I doubt a 1st rounder is what the true asking price is.  The Saints have to set the market high so that they can eventually settle on a 2nd round pick.  If they asked for a 2nd round pick right now, then the best anybody would offer them is a 3rd. 

I feel like this is not a great understanding of market economy 

• Like 3