How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

14 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Oh he and I are 100% opposite ends of that spectrum. 

College "championship" teams are full of 4 and 5 start prospects that can often mask various deficiencies. 

I tend to scoff at those types of players. I'd much rather take the best player that pops on a lesser team. 

Imo, a lot of players from those top notch teams tend to either max out in college or wind up having difficulty adjusting to the NFL's more level playing field. 

Looking at some of the leagues top guys:

Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, Allen, Hill, D. Adams, DK Megacalf, Kamara, A Jones, Waller, Kelce, Kittle, Yannick, Donald.... all were the best prospects on meh teams. 

Of course, it's hardly a rule: Henry, Jacobs, OBJ, etc. all came from big time schools. 

I just think there's a lot more misses from the big schools early on than the other way around, and not just based purely on there naturally being more of them in general. 

It's very much a personal preference, but one that makes me very skeptical of how Mayock drafts. Both of his drafts so far have reminded me more of a kid's fantasy draft on First Pick than some "guru". 

I agree with your post.   Mayock's drafting just seems like he's playing it way too safe with his early picks and believes pulling players from championship teams will translate to winning a championship in the NFL.  I think if he stuck with the way he drafted in the later rounds (drafting players like Crosby who just pops on tape and had an awesome combine), our draft classes would probably improve.  I think we may end up doing the same with this upcoming draft and going with a player like Christian Barmore in the first.

14 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Same way.  I do not watch college much but I love the combine.  When a player does well at the combine I will watch there highlights.  If they jump off the screen the way White did in the highlight s then I watch their games.  I will also read a lot about prospects and then check them out with that same process.

Rarely ever do I really care about combine results, but I'll be honest, when Montez Sweat and I believe it was Burns went and ran like 4.4/4.5 40s, I was close to being like "F it, just draft these MFs".  Seeing two guys at like 6'5" and around 260 lbs run 4.4/4.5 40s just blew my mind.  4.4 40 just screams pass rushing talent to me.  I know it doesn't always translate, but they already had the tape to show they were 1st round talents, the 40 times just solidified their status as first round picks.  I still thought Ferrell could develop and be good, but deep down inside I knew he was slow after he chose not to run the 40.  I was just hoping he'd develop as a bull rusher and get us around 8 sacks a season and become one of the more dominant DEs against the run.  Disappointed so far.

12 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I saw it as he was gonna make himself undeniably the best lb in the game and earn that payday. Imo tb is gonna get his best years.

Yeah I kind of felt that way too.  Sometimes players come out and say that though and then flop because they get their payday and call it good.  It personally just made me worry that he was immature.  Regardless of maturity, the man can play.

20 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Rarely ever do I really care about combine results, but I'll be honest, when Montez Sweat and I believe it was Burns went and ran like 4.4/4.5 40s, I was close to being like "F it, just draft these MFs".  Seeing two guys at like 6'5" and around 260 lbs run 4.4/4.5 40s just blew my mind.  4.4 40 just screams pass rushing talent to me.  I know it doesn't always translate, but they already had the tape to show they were 1st round talents, the 40 times just solidified their status as first round picks.  I still thought Ferrell could develop and be good, but deep down inside I knew he was slow after he chose not to run the 40.  I was just hoping he'd develop as a bull rusher and get us around 8 sacks a season and become one of the more dominant DEs against the run.  Disappointed so far.

You can tell by watching Ferrel walk he is not an explosive or twitchy athlete.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

What I saw he was as to be expected for a rookie on the Dline. He flashed some ability and you can see his potential to be an game changing talent. Other times, he looked like a rookie getting driven off the ball and engulfed by double teams. My guess is, he take a big jump in year 2.

This a cautionary tale however.... the fans who want to draft a 3t and expect big results early will be disappointed. iDL is one of the hardest positions for rookies unless you're Aaron Donald.

Ok. He's Ruggs but playing DL then.

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

You can tell by watching Ferrel walk he is not an explosive or twitchy athlete.

You could see it on his college tape at Clemson. He was never an athletic, twitchy, explosive guy that could win consistently off the edge. And he benefited greatly from having two other 1st round picks next to him on that Clemson defensive line. It's unfortunate that we never got any pre-draft workout numbers from Ferrell because I assume he would've tested pretty meh and we would've passed on him. 

7 hours ago, Jerry said:

Rarely ever do I really care about combine results, but I'll be honest, when Montez Sweat and I believe it was Burns went and ran like 4.4/4.5 40s, I was close to being like "F it, just draft these MFs".  Seeing two guys at like 6'5" and around 260 lbs run 4.4/4.5 40s just blew my mind. 

Allen, Sweat, and Burns all looked like physical freaks at the combine. And on top of that they all had good tape against top competition where they flashed the needed elite twitch/quickness to be able to consistently win off the edge in the NFL. We passed on all three of those guys who were nearly as productive as Ferrell in college with way more athletic upside because "Ferrell fit the scheme bruh." Just absolute insanity. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

You could see it on his college tape at Clemson. He was never an athletic, twitchy, explosive guy that could win consistently off the edge. And he benefited greatly from having two other 1st round picks next to him on that Clemson defensive line. It's unfortunate that we never got any pre-draft workout numbers from Ferrell because I assume he would've tested pretty meh and we would've passed on him. 

When we drafted him I said that his not testing at the combine would have automatically knocked him out of consideration for the 4th pick.  I would have been fine in the teens and happy with our second pick.  A player like White I would not have to see in the combine because he just jumped off the screen when you watched him.  Ferrel looked like a player athleticism was good enough for college.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

When we drafted him I said that his not testing at the combine would have automatically knocked him out of consideration for the 4th pick.  I would have been fine in the teens and happy with our second pick.  A player like White I would not have to see in the combine because he just jumped off the screen when you watched him.  Ferrel looked like a player athleticism was good enough for college.

Mayock's draft strategy is wild. In some cases we've seen him spend high picks on traits guys with limited college production (Ruggs/Jacobs) and in other cases he has gone for elite college production with limited athletic traits (Ferrell/Arnette). 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mayock's draft strategy is wild. In some cases we've seen him spend high picks on traits guys with limited college production (Ruggs/Jacobs) and in other cases he has gone for elite college production with limited athletic traits (Ferrell/Arnette). 

That's because it's not Mayock's draft strategy......... it's Gruden's decision ultimately.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

That's because it's not Mayock's draft strategy......... it's Gruden's decision ultimately.

Kinda. Ruggs and Jacobs are known as picks Gruden pushed for. Lamb would have been the pick if it was only up to Mayock. Not heard anything about the pick used on Jacobs as far as what Mayock wanted to do with it. Seems like they were in agreement there.