How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

24 minutes ago, Raidersrule said:

Well does Mayock get any credit now that we beat the chiefs 

(agahlor) and others draft picks and free agents this is the nfl up and down week by week 

Crosby is looking like a pick any GM can hang a hat on for at least a couple years. That coupled with how great some of the others have been should keep him with some solid job security going forward. 

1 hour ago, Raidersrule said:

(agahlor) and others draft picks and free agents this is the nfl up and down week by week 

The talent he has added around Carr is undeniable with Incognito/Brown up front, Jacobs/Ingold in the backfield, and Ruggs/Agholor/Edwards/Renfrow/Moreau as pass catchers. 

1 hour ago, FloydFan said:

Crosby is looking like a pick any GM can hang a hat on for at least a couple years. That coupled with how great some of the others have been should keep him with some solid job security going forward. 

We went from 4-12 the year before he arrived to 7-9 (should've been 9-7) in his first year and are poised to be a playoff team in his second year. He has nothing to worry about in terms of job security. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We went from 4-12 the year before he arrived to 7-9 (should've been 9-7) in his first year and are poised to be a playoff team in his second year. He has nothing to worry about in terms of job security. 

The AFC looks pretty stacked this year with Buf, KC, Pitt, Bal, Cle, Ten, and NE technically still ahead of us. 

Naturally, the win-loss records will change as some of them play each other and whatnot. That said, looking at the rest of our schedule, 10 wins seems like a pretty solid bet. Idk if we'll actually make the playoffs or not yet, but we're certainly a playoff caliber team based on how we've competed with some of the conference's top teams. There's been some ugly as sin, but we haven't been out of any game this year even when down. New England snowballed, but it's not like we were absolutely outclassed. We held on with Buffalo. We beat both KC and New Orleans, both likely playoff teams, in fairly convincing fashion. Carolina looks like a possible playoff team. 

If we beat or hang in close with Tampa Bay in a couple weeks, I'd say we have as good a damn shot as anyone, which is surprising considering our D. 

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If we beat or hang in close with Tampa Bay in a couple weeks, I'd say we have as good a damn shot as anyone, which is surprising considering our D. 

If we beat Tampa Bay we'll be in a really good spot at 4-2 and likely favored in 7 or 8 of our final 10 games. Buffalo could also very well beat Kansas City next week which combined with a win vs TB would put us at the top of the division. 

I think another important thing you have to consider when judging Mayock is how well he has done finding unheralded players that can fill a role on our team. Reggie McKenzie's biggest down fall wasn't that he missed guys at the top of the draft it was that he never really found any stud UDFA or guys in the middle rounds. 

Mayock has done a great job, a lot of guys on here jump the gun way too quick pretending they know more than the staff. Hes steady added quality pieces to this roster. Yea, weve made some questionable moves in FA and the draft, but overall our talent level is night and day from when he took over. Guys expect us to hit on every transaction no one bats 1.000

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Mayock has done a great job, a lot of guys on here jump the gun way too quick pretending they know more than the staff. Hes steady added quality pieces to this roster. Yea, weve made some questionable moves in FA and the draft, but overall our talent level is night and day from when he took over. Guys expect us to hit on every transaction no one bats 1.000

The only starters that the Grudock regime inherited from Reggie McKenzie that are still on the roster were Carr, Jackson, and Hudson. We literally don't have a single defensive starter that was here before Grudock. 

It takes time to build a core and we're really in like year two of rebuilding our roster from the ground up. Overall we're significantly more talented now then we were before Grudock got here. 

If we can add some more defensive playmakers this offseason we have a chance to be a contender next year, imo. We were in playoff contention and should've won 9 games in year 1, we should win 10+ games and make the playoffs in year 2, and I think we're poised to take the next step in year 3. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The only starters that the Grudock regime inherited from Reggie McKenzie that are still on the roster were Carr, Jackson, and Hudson. We literally don't have a single defensive starter that was here before Grudock. 

It takes time to build a core and we're really in like year two of rebuilding our roster from the ground up. Overall we're significantly more talented now then we were before Grudock got here. 

If we can add some more defensive playmakers this offseason we have a chance to be a contender next year, imo. We were in playoff contention and should've won 9 games in year 1, we should win 10+ games and make the playoffs in year 2, and I think we're poised to take the next step in year 3. 

basically a complete rebuild. I expect us to finish the defense this offseason and make that side of the ball and really contend next season. To overhaul a roster into a contender in 3 years is very impressive. 

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

basically a complete rebuild. I expect us to finish the defense this offseason and make that side of the ball and really contend next season. To overhaul a roster into a contender in 3 years is very impressive. 

Yeah I think that our defense could take a big step next season if we add a couple pieces this offseason, particularly a disruptive DT and a rangey FS. I think adding difference makers at those two spots would really help our other players as a disruptive DT would help free up some looks for Ferrell/Crosby while a rangey FS would allow us to move Abram around more and also allow Mullen/Arnette to take more chances for plays on the ball because we'd a security blanket on the backend. 

19 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Winning cures everything esp if you can beat kc in kc

Yup. At the end of the day all that matters is winning football games. Mayock himself said that everyone in the league is chasing Kansas City and he has done a great job building an offense that gives us a chance to compete with them. 

• 2 months later...

I don’t hate MM picks and hindsight is 20/20 but looking back 

2019: 

4: not reaching on Ferrell who has been okay, and adding a franchise cornerstone in Devin White. Giving the team the heart and soul, speed, pass rush

24: Montrez Sweat- big draft faller who I was pounding the table for... more emphasis on the DL, team still was desperate for pass rushers 

27: AJ Brown- team needed WRs since Cooper and Crabtree. I know we had high hopes on AB and Williams but AJ was someone who I was so high on. No idea how DK and AJ weren’t 1st rounders. I won’t bash MM for passing on DK because many teams did, but I remember many posters mocking AJ. AJ already a borderline top 10 wideout. 

34: Mullen or Jacobs- idk if Jacobs would have been there in the 2nd. If Jacobs would have been there, might have been the BPA and not been a 1st round RB. Miles Sanders is not that big of a drop off. Mullen is still a guy I like, so I’ll keep the pick the same. 

we would have brought back Joseph on the cheap to be our SS with no Abram. They are similar players, with Abram slightly better with higher ceiling. I just don’t know about the value of a SS in the first too. With no Jacobs, probably draft a mid round RB, signed a stopgap, perhaps we trade for Kenyan Drake last year, or at the very least signed Fournette/Gordon in the offseason 2020. RBs aren’t a hard spot to fill. 

2020 draft 

12: we come back and protect White and draft Kinlaw. Add the overall talent on the DL. We also should have really landed Deforest Buckner. He was a winner, great player for the 49ers; we had a huge need in the interior and the assets. Cost the Colts their first, could have been ours. Bottom line the DL should be solved by now. Either or

19: instead of reaching on a DB like FS/CB could have went BPA like a another WR in the class of the decade or add to defensive with BPA K Murray/Queen.... let’s just say Shenault because he’s my guy from last year draft. Jefferson would have been a home run... probably wouldn’t have drafted another DE after Max and Sweat flashing as rookies. I would have signed a high impact vet DE to balance the unit. Could have added a better pass rusher then Nassib.

3rd round- day 2 is where I like to invest in DBs. Instead of getting cute with Bowden and Muse, we target a CB/S 

our free agency would have been different too: no need for KWit at MLB, so probably invest more into a vet DE like Clowney. I probably would have still signed Littleton for the price. Well our team wouldn’t be perfect we could be so much more loaded: 

QB: Carr 

RB: Gordon/Fournette/Drake FB: Ingold 

WR: AJBrown/Agholor/Shenault/Renfrow/ Edwards 
TE: Waller/Moreau 

OL: Miller, Richie, Hudson, Gabe, Brown- same

DE: Clowney, Sweat/Max 

DT: Buckner/Kinlaw, Hankins 

LB: Littleton, White 

CB: Mullen, FA, Joyner, 3rd rounder, Amik Johnson 

S: 3rd rounder, Joseph, Heath 

that team is a lot better in my opinion. DBs look more weak, but the front seven would be a lot better. Instead of Muse, Bowden: MM hits on two DBs in the 3rd....

Edited by Humble_Beast