How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I like Mayock. Like Gruden the personality... not the coach. Like the DC, but don't believe in him.

Exactly lol.  We all have our perspectives.  I like Mayock and Gruden.  I was watching The Last Dance on Netflix last night and Mike Mayock kind of reminds me of the Bulls' GM (Jerry Krause).  I think Mayock will rub some players and fans the wrong way, but he may be able to help us assemble a team that can win.

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

lol... The trade Gruden forced him to make? 

Gruden smart..

-got his money

-decided to tear down the roster and rebuild to give him a few years without critics 

- hired a scapegoat GM if progress isn’t made. If we don’t improve in a year or two, Gruden will turn on MM

- that would take Gruden to year 6 or 7 of his contract 

- so gruden would be in years 8-10 of his contract before he actually gets any heat. 

Art of War 

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Gruden smart..

-got his money

-decided to tear down the roster and rebuild to give him a few years without critics 

- hired a scapegoat GM if progress isn’t made. If we don’t improve in a year or two, Gruden will turn on MM

- so gruden would be in years 8-10 of his contract before he actually gets any heat. 

Art of War 

I don't think Gruden came back to just waste time and lose games.  He was getting paid bank just to be a talking head.  Makes no sense.  Why even have that coach camp he did if he really didn't care to coach?  I think he wants to win a SB or 5.  Why come in at 4AM just to suck?  I just don't get it.  I'm pretty sure he probably falls asleep thinking about football, dreams about football, talks to his wife only about football.  Why come back if you want to prolong the inevitable and just suck at your job for 2-3-4-10 years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I don't think Gruden came back to just waste time and lose games.  He was getting paid bank just to be a talking head.  Makes no sense.  Why even have that coach camp he did if he really didn't care to coach?  I think he wants to win a SB or 5.  Why come in at 4AM just to suck?  I just don't get it.  I'm pretty sure he probably falls asleep thinking about football, dreams about football, talks to his wife only about football.  Why come back if you want to prolong the inevitable and just suck at your job for 2-3-4-10 years?

I’m sure he’s trying to win. Hopefully at some point it’s not established his best days are behind him. He’s also couldn’t turn down the money. 

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

I’m sure he’s trying to win. Hopefully at some point it’s not established his best days are behind him. He’s also couldn’t turn down the money. 

I personally think our offense last season proved he can still coach.  

13 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Good offensive mind , I’m a Gruden loyalist.... but your kidding if Money wasn’t Gruden motive to come back. He also is smart to have a sitting duck GM if things go bad... 

6 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Gruden smart..

-got his money

Art of War 

lol... immediately alienated the teams best player, then traded him. Then proclaimed "good pass rushers are hard to find"

Tooooootally gave himself a few years without critics. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Not really... Showed they have some talent. His play calling was garbage. Still too conservative and running formations and concepts from 2 decades ago. 

Bill Musgrave did a lot with that offense too when they had talent. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Good offensive mind , I’m a Gruden loyalist.... but your kidding if Money wasn’t Gruden motive to come back. He also is smart to have a sitting duck GM if things go bad... 

Well yeah of course it did.  I didn't mean to imply that it didn't.  But I really think he had the itch to come back.  Just didn't really care to because I'm pretty sure he hates losing more than most.  He's said that several times.  I think the emotional toll on him is what kept him away for so long.  

4 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Wasn’t it Mayock that was at the National championship game bringing gruden tape or was it the other way around 

He showed Gruden like 7-8 plays of Josh Jacobs from the Bama/Clemson game and they were both sold on him.  I recall reading that.

46 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Not really... Showed they have some talent. His play calling was garbage. Still too conservative and running formations and concepts from 2 decades ago. 

Bill Musgrave did a lot with that offense too when they had talent. 

Yeah the offense wasn't all that great all season long. It was good by fairly recent Raiders standards, but his playcalling really hurt us in the long run. 

With how Carr played, Jacobs, Waller, Agholor, Renfrow, and Miller/Gabe/Hudson being mostly steady...that's a top 10 Offense unit. Sure, there's room for improvement, but overall the product was far more average than it had business being. 

A lot of that really does come down to playcalling. We were painfully vanilla and Gruden made the decision to go for 3 way too often. While we might not have been a whole lot better in the stats department, we probably win a couple more games and the sentiment becomes far more positive. 

Our talent, what we have of it, has done more to pull Gruden''s system along than he's done getting production out of the talent he's got by scheming and playcalling. 

Mayock said Ruggs needed to learn to run better routes instead of purely deep omes just the other day. I have no doubt this is true. But how many times did we see Ruggs actually stretch the field as opposed to jet sweeps and screens? I don't think many in the grand scheme of things. I know it's only 1 player, but I have to imagine Gruden uses several guys however he wants to instead of in the ways that could be most beneficial. 

Lastly, the dreaded goal line right rollout to Witten. How many times did we run that garbage? Often, we'd run it back to back in the RZ. That entire play needs to be scrapped entirely. Talk about a concept from ages ago...

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That's how we scout guys now eh? Lol. 

Mayock's hard on for Clemson is gonna kill us. 

I'm sure there was much more to it than that.  I'm sure he probably went over every single game ever played by Jacobs.  It was just something he did to probably peak Gruden's interest.

Just now, Jerry said:

I'm sure there was much more to it than that.  I'm sure he probably went over every single game ever played by Jacobs.  It was just something he did to probably peak Gruden's interest.

I was mostly being facetious. 

But Mayock's Clemson fetish is borderline absurd.