College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

fify

I really have a hard time relying on Ward as an answer at CB when he cannot even get/stay on the field.

maybe you cant rely on him to be a #1 DB because of injuries and thats its really but at that case, you can easily, rely on him to be the #2/#3 DB without a doubt...No way in hell we should move on him

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Shaun Wade makes sense in round 2 if you use him like Mathieu / Jenkins.

Here’s how you use him:

I was gonna say, depending how he looks at the combine and workouts, I would considered him in the 1st since we are picking 26th. But there is no combine and no workouts this year. The senior bowl is going to be your money maker this year and your tape evaluation. If the tape is going to be the biggest factor and you want him to play that safety role, then he might be worth the 1st. Or trade down into the early 2nd to nab him to grab another 2nd rd pick and more. Or trade up to get him in the early 2nd

Him and Harrison roaming around the box would be fun to watch, while Delpit plays the centerfield ballhawk

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

Absolutely not on Wade 1st/2nd round. If he played for a non-OSU school and had the year he just had we wouldn't want to draft him PERIOD. Let alone in the first two rounds. The guy was victimized by practically every good team or receiver he went up against. Exposed to a terrifying degree. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, FGK said:

Absolutely not on Wade 1st/2nd round. If he played for a non-OSU school and had the year he just had we wouldn't want to draft him PERIOD. Let alone in the first two rounds. The guy was victimized by practically every good team or receiver he went up against. Exposed to a terrifying degree. 

But he was forced to play as an outside corner. Thst is not his natural position. he moved to help the team out cause they didn’t have any corners ready. The dude is a safety/Minkah type defender. 

If he didn’t play as we as he did in ‘18 and ‘19 I wouldn’t be huge on him becuase of ‘20. He’ll people love Delpit and the dude had a pretty terrible final year at LSU compared to the season prior. Dude was a safety who couldn’t tackle for anything. Wade will never be tasked to being an outside #1 corner who has to shut down the opposing teams #1 WR. 

tOSU fans can love him cause they know exactly what he can be as a safety 

Edited by buno67

We have enough needs on the defensive side of the ball that they really can’t go wrong, as long as they are drafting good players. They definitely have a need at cornerback at some point in the draft though. Multiple linebackers, cornerback, and a couple more guys upfront. But mostly that back seven. Free agency will be interesting, because it’s going to be difficult to plug the number of holes that we have through the draft. You can’t entirely ignore the offensive side, could definitely use a game breaker out wide as well, but defense definitely needs to be the primary focus.

This is going to sound cliche, but I think this team is in a spot to really focus in on drafting the best available player, regardless of need. Yes, it would certainly be nice if a premier defensive playmaker fell to us at #26, but if not, and there is a premier offensive playmaker available, we should pull the trigger without hesitation. We should focus our efforts in free agency in shoring up some of the defensive weaknesses that way we are well positioned for the draft. We should also make it a priority to keep as many of those offensive lineman like Dunn, Hance, Lamm, etc. as possible while bringing in competition. This would allow us to keep continuity, depth, and potentially improve without any real sacrifice.

There are a ton of good young safeties that are coming up to free agency (e.g. Marcus Maye, John Johnson, Justin Simmons, Marcus Williams, etc.), which would be a good addition. I would look to add one of these guys as our premier free agent and then run a lot of big nickle with Delpit, Harrison, and whomever we sign on the field together.

Finally, this might be a good year to package some picks and move back into the late first round or early second round and add two key pieces in the draft. We don't need to bring in 10 drafts picks as there isn't that much room for rookies on this team. We need to focus on quality over quantity and maintaining our guys that played well in place of injured players this year.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FGK said:

Not sure I agree hill averaged 13 yards per reception is was clearly the plan not to allow Hill to beat us deep.

Point 2 we held KC to22 points with Ward on the field

1 hour ago, shoffma1999 said:

This is going to sound cliche, but I think this team is in a spot to really focus in on drafting the best available player, regardless of need. Yes, it would certainly be nice if a premier defensive playmaker fell to us at #26, but if not, and there is a premier offensive playmaker available, we should pull the trigger without hesitation. We should focus our efforts in free agency in shoring up some of the defensive weaknesses that way we are well positioned for the draft. We should also make it a priority to keep as many of those offensive lineman like Dunn, Hance, Lamm, etc. as possible while bringing in competition. This would allow us to keep continuity, depth, and potentially improve without any real sacrifice.

There are a ton of good young safeties that are coming up to free agency (e.g. Marcus Maye, John Johnson, Justin Simmons, Marcus Williams, etc.), which would be a good addition. I would look to add one of these guys as our premier free agent and then run a lot of big nickle with Delpit, Harrison, and whomever we sign on the field together.

Finally, this might be a good year to package some picks and move back into the late first round or early second round and add two key pieces in the draft. We don't need to bring in 10 drafts picks as there isn't that much room for rookies on this team. We need to focus on quality over quantity and maintaining our guys that played well in place of injured players this year.

Nice post.

In the past, we had so many holes that it was impossible to fix them all in free agency.  Now, we're positioned to do just what shoffma said - go into the draft without gaping holes in our roster.

• Like 1

Y'all are taking crazy pills. Just because we made the playoffs doesn't mean we don't have tons of holes to fill. We have ONE hole on offense and that is at receiver. THAT'S IT. We're going defense.

Minus a top-10 guy falling-goes without saying--like a Jamarr Chase or Devonta Smith it's defense. We need several starters on defense. We're going defense.

Sincerely,

@LETSGOBROWNIES

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Y'all are taking crazy pills. Just because we made the playoffs doesn't mean we don't have tons of holes to fill. We have ONE hole on offense and that is at receiver. THAT'S IT. We're going defense.

Minus a top-10 guy falling-goes without saying--like a Jamarr Chase or Devonta Smith it's defense. We need several starters on defense. We're going defense.

Sincerely,

@LETSGOBROWNIES

I kinda agree.

I see about 7 and if you’re being generous maybe 6 spots on defense that need fixed.

However, every team has a weakness. They overcome that weakness by reinforcing a strength.

11 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I kinda agree.

I see about 7 and if you’re being generous maybe 6 spots on defense that need fixed.

However, every team has a weakness. They overcome that weakness by reinforcing a strength.

In our case, our strengths are already very strong, though. There is no need to draft a replacement starter anywhere on the offensive line--Bitonio and Tretter are the oldest and have been healthy and effective overall--and our QB/RB/TE is set.

Meanwhile, LE...CB2(/CB3?)...DT...LB...LB...S3 due to injury...no man's land.

11 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

In our case, our strengths are already very strong, though. There is no need to draft a replacement starter anywhere on the offensive line--Bitonio and Tretter are the oldest and have been healthy and effective overall--and our QB/RB/TE is set.

Meanwhile, LE...CB2(/CB3?)...DT...LB...LB...S3 due to injury...no man's land.

I mean we have drafted a replacement for tretter on nick harris.