College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

When was the last draft class that was potentially as bad as the 2022 one, at the quarterback position? It’s next level. To the point that some teams could make some desperate off-season acquisitions to avoid having to reach in the draft.

2013 probably 

there might be one in Willis but that’s all I’ve seen

Time for the Browns to gamble on a volatile, high variance, traits, high flashes, running ability, wild inaccurate throws at times, playmaker ...

Malik Willis time 

1 minute ago, Empire Lies said:

For Matthew Stafford, the Rams had to give up 2, 1st Round Picks, a 3rd Round Pick, and Jared Goff

A lot of people believe it's going to take 4 to 5, 1st Round Picks + Other Considerations for Russell Wilson 

4 to 5, 1st Round Picks + Other Considerations for Deshaun Watson (if exonerated)

2, 1st Round Picks + Other Considerations for Aaron Rodgers 

1, 1st Round Pick for Malik Willis

--------

If somehow the Browns end up with the 17th overall pick and have to trade a future 1st to go up to 8 for Malik Willis, it's worth the gamble considering that maybe a future 1st can be recouped by trading Baker Mayfield (or 2nd rounders).

A Stafford style trade for Aaron Rodgers whereby the Browns gave up Baker and a 1st for Aaron Rodgers makes sense as well.

DePodesta will never let the organization give up 4 to 5 1st round selections so Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson (if exonerated) are possibilities.

--------

Watching Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen's routine inaccuracies and missed throws long enough proves that accuracy and missed throws don't matter when a QB has instinctive playmaking ability via rushing ability and can deliver on 3rd down.

Time to try our luck with a highly volatile QB with traits and hope for the best.

--------

Finally got my hands on Malik Willis All22 tape for his last 8 games

He's going top 5 guaranteed if he continues on his current trajectory though his boxscore numbers have taken a hit the last 2 games.. If the Lions have the #1 overall selection, then Willis has a strong chance of going #1 overall and that's whether he's deserving or not based on his skills projection.

As stated before, there's no scenario outside of the Browns finishing with 4 or 5 wins where the Browns will have any opportunity to get Malik Willis.

It's not worth thinking about as a viable option.

Browns have to stay away from Matt Corral or Sam Howell as it would be better to trade down and accumulate more 1st rounders for a future QB1 play via the draft.

They have to rehabilitate Baker somehow someway.

Edited by Empire Lies

35 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I may be completely wrong, but I’m leaning towards drafting a WR in round 1. Get Baker somebody with height. So guys like Drake London or Treylon Burks.

I think the defense has talent, but needs a coaching change.

I honest don’t know if he needs a guy who has height. I think he needs a guy he can count on to be where he is suppose to be. Honestly feel like thst guy could be Olave. Dude is such a great route runner. That he won’t cut corners to get to his spot and will get to where he is suppose to be.

Finally, got a chance to delve into the various position groups on first glance for this upcoming draft class.

Ranking of Most Quality Starter Positional Depth IMO: 

1.) TE

- This is the most quality TE depth I've ever seen. So many slept on future pro-bowlers. I'm drafting two - one gamechanger to replace Austin Hooper to pair with Njoku and one to upgrade on Harrison Bryant.

2.) CB

3.) OT

4.) EDGE

5.) New Age LB

6.) WR

--------------

Kingsley Enagbare, DE South Carolina is my #1 "My Guy"  - He has top 5 NFL edge talent and has no idea what he's doing yet.

Kyle Hamilton, S Notre Dame is my #3 "My Guy"

There's so many TEs on my list it's wild.

----------------

The Browns should focus on continuing to build the defense as the Offense is still set for another year contractually.

Defensively, Ronnie Harrison is not it. Too soon to tell with Delpit. The Browns need another (or 2) dynamic safeties.

Have to assume that Denzel might not be back (after next season) given the big money contract his agent will desire. Greg Newsome had injury concerns in college, Greedy still has nerve issues.  Troy Hill is cheeks. Corner's a major need imo despite the perceived depth the Browns have.

Jadaveon Clowney is too much of an injury risk to commit a big contract too. I love Takk and am rooting for him, but reliability and availability is an issue. Longterm Edge solution to pair with Myles is the number 1 concern imo. 

Anthony Walker isn't a longterm new age LB solution. Jacob Phillips even when healthy was never a top tier prospect. Mack Wilson is a great guy but not a good football talent. I loved Tony Fields coming out, but he wasn't a top tier prospect. Browns need 2 dynamic athlete LBs

Jack Conklin's contract was short and up after next year. With the Tackle talents everywhere in this draft class, Browns need to plan for the future with one. 

--------------

Browns Positions I'd Target Early

1st Round - Edge

2nd Round - FS, OT, CB, Edge

3rd Round - OT, FS, CB, Edge

4th Round - CB, LB, TE, OT

4th Round - LB, WR, FS

5th Round - TE, LB, 

6th Round - TE, WR

7th Round - LB, WR

-------------

Edited by Empire Lies

I wouldn’t forsake the defense in the draft by any means and that is where a lot of our needs clearly are. But I am hoping we can fill some of those voids in free agency and would consider getting some young offensive play makers in the fold. Particularly at receiver and a future starting potential offensive lineman. I see some veterans out there that will not be on this roster much longer. Also, we need to really see year five what Baker can do with decent WRs, as we continue to see somewhat of a mash group. OBJ is also out the door and Jarvis’ future is somewhat an unknown. 

@Empire Lies

Ward is back next season as we’ve already picked up his 5th year.  That means we’d have our top 5 corners all coming back and tbh they’re talented enough. The scheme needs fixed. I think next April we’d be better served focusing resources elsewhere.

Where’s the fix for the OL?  Even if you plan on resigning Teller, Hubbard is gone and not bringing in at least one OL would be criminal.  Personally I think a day 1/2 IOL prospect and a day 3 OT are necessary.

The rest I agree with.