College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

20 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Jimmy G, Carr, whatever … but Jameis/Willis and no 1st round position guy is gross.

Uh dude 2021 Jameis >2021 Baker

Everyone is just assuming Baker is going to come back 100%. 

Who knows what he's going to look like after surgery. Dude might be damaged goods honestly. At least a Jameis Willis combo gives you two shots at the position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I have a feeling that we are going to be using our #1 pick on Malik Willis. Thinking back to what McShay said about him, "go to a team with a good defense and a great run game". That's us. I think they were serious about the Watson interest, but I think Willis is the backup plan. It's all silent to this point right now, and I have a strong feeling that any Baker trade will happen during or after the draft. Trading him before without putting another starting caliber guy on the roster will be a clear indicator IMO. 

I really like the way Willis can flick the ball deep ala' Mahomes.

Not saying he is the second coming of Mahomes by any means, but it's a nice skill.

And the legs, oh the legs.

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I have a feeling that we are going to be using our #1 pick on Malik Willis. Thinking back to what McShay said about him, "go to a team with a good defense and a great run game". That's us. I think they were serious about the Watson interest, but I think Willis is the backup plan. It's all silent to this point right now, and I have a strong feeling that any Baker trade will happen during or after the draft. Trading him before without putting another starting caliber guy on the roster will be a clear indicator IMO. 

Might have to trade up to get him, which would be uncharacteristic of the nerds, but who knows? 

20 hours ago, bruceb said:

Might have to trade up to get him, which would be uncharacteristic of the nerds, but who knows? 

I get the feeling that we would possibly need to leap Seattle, depending on what they do in free agency/trade targets. The rookie contract at pick 8 or whatever would be pretty team friendly and give us some cap flexibility to make some aggressive moves if we wanted. 

23 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Wllis isn't ready play right now. Maybe not even in year two.

Imo a lot of what's happening is about the loaded 23' QB draft class.

If Watson doesn't sign on they'll straddle at least ostensibly being competitive in 22' but really be preparing to get a new franchise guy in 23'. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

If Watson doesn't sign on they'll straddle at least ostensibly being competitive in 22' but really be preparing to get a new franchise guy in 23'. 

There are a few quarterbacks in the next draft class that will be more ready to play as rookies than Willis will be in his second year. Just my opinion based on what I’ve seen. This is 100% the wrong class to swing on a first round quarterback.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

I agree this ain’t the year they’re gonna make a play in the draft, but my concern is that ******* goofball who signs the checks.

Is he really gonna be ok with punting on ‘22 and then being patient with a rookie?

I’d like to think anyone would be able to grasp the situation if we don’t land Watson, but he’s a uniquely impatient clown.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

There are a few quarterbacks in the next draft class that will be more ready to play as rookies than Willis will be in his second year. Just my opinion based on what I’ve seen. This is 100% the wrong class to swing on a first round quarterback.

Gun to my head I take Willis because of the physical talent.  I think he’s a day 2 prospect at best.

As far as meeting the criteria we know they/analytics like, the only QB they’d even consider would be Howell, and he’s not an improvement lol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

The logic behind Watson was WIN NOW. 

There are now no win now options available. I think you guys trade your first for Matt Ryan and unload Baker to the Colts for a third. Which would be stupid as he'll but everything this teams done has been stupid as hell. 

Depending on what we'd get back for Baker, the most I'd give up is like a third for Jimmy G to be a bridge QB. Even that I'd be hesitant to do in case we need enough ammunition to trade up for a QB in 2023. If he costs anything more than that, I say f it and roll with one of our current backups or sign a dude like Mariota.

I would put all of my money on us not drafting a QB this year. We were looking for somebody big this year until Baker got his feelings hurt. Nobody big is left so we'll take somebody's scraps or a FA and deal with this season to get to draft a better prospect in 23.