2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

Unpopular opinion but Adam Gase was at zero fault for this game. Play calling was pretty sound, we just didn't execute. Had Sam completed some of the gimmy passes, the narrative would be totally different... When it's 3rd & long and you're checking down to Chris Hogan at the LOS because you misread a blitz, that's not on the coach... 

Gase deserves some criticism for not being more creative with the only attempts at creativity being in the form of screen passes. I do wish the Jets called more motions with Crowder, Herndon and/or Berrios to exploit mismatches and can't say why they didn't, but to scapegoat the coach for the overall offensive performance isn't fair. The entire complexion of the game would have been different had Darnold-Herndon connected on 1st down or Darnold-Crowder connected on 3rd down in the very first drive of the game. 

I give them last week. I've been a Jets fan too long to put too much stock into week 1 (2018: went 4-12... 2014: went 4-12... 2012: went 6-10... 2011: went 8-8...) 

If they don't show improvement over the next 2 games, this topic becomes relevant. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Formula 14 said:

Unpopular opinion but Adam Gase was at zero fault for this game. Play calling was pretty sound, we just didn't execute. Had Sam completed some of the gimmy passes, the narrative would be totally different... When it's 3rd & long and you're checking down to Chris Hogan at the LOS because you misread a blitz, that's not on the coach... 

Gase deserves some criticism for not being more creative with the only attempts at creativity being in the form of screen passes. I do wish the Jets called more motions with Crowder, Herndon and/or Berrios to exploit mismatches and can't say why they didn't, but to scapegoat the coach for the overall offensive performance isn't fair. The entire complexion of the game would have been different had Darnold-Herndon connected on 1st down or Darnold-Crowder connected on 3rd down in the very first drive of the game. 

I give them last week. I've been a Jets fan too long to put too much stock into week 1 (2018: went 4-12... 2014: went 4-12... 2012: went 6-10... 2011: went 8-8...) 

If they don't show improvement over the next 2 games, this topic becomes relevant. 

I think Sam and Gase both need a kick in the rear to say this is no laughing matter. There is no more kid gloves. Arizona made the 49ers look bad on D and now they have to travel from the west to the east and we must punch them in the mouth on D fast and quick. If we don't score a TD on the first 2 possessions then this game is over. This team has a bunch of losers on it and we all know why Jamal wanted out. He cried for help and the team did not listen. Get the first pick trade Sam and grab Trevor and hope you don't kill another QB career like we did with Sam, Mark and a whole lot more. 

1 hour ago, Formula 14 said:

As far as 2020 season, it is only one game. Sure. However, this very game reminds us that Gase has been like that since he becomes Jets' HC. Gase started 1-7 last year so he can't repeat this again.  I could see Gase will have to move from Darnold to Flacco after 0-3 in attempt to save his job. coughing, excuse me.

I'm not in love with any of the coaching options yet, but I think someone like Eric B, Jim H, and Brady would pull the most interest. JH probably fits the style Joe Douglas is aiming to build. We're going to pull interest from top coaches with Douglas' rep & the first round picks we have. So I'm really looking forward to seeing who JD goes with. 

Edited by rickyt31

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm not in love with any of the coaching options yet, but I think someone like Eric B, Jim H, and Brady would pull the most interest. JH probably fits the style Joe Douglas is aiming to build. We're going to pull interest from top coaches with Douglas' rep & the first round picks we have. So I'm really looking forward to seeing who JD goes with. 

I wonder about how do CJ feel about paying top money in JD and new HC to start rebuilding Jets.

Edited by JetsandI

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

I wonder about how do CJ feel about paying top money in JD and new HC to start rebuilding Jets.

He doesn't have a choice. He need to pay up instead of sticking with a failing staff or going cheap again. He has a chance to put together a great combination with the GM & coach. 

4 hours ago, Dr.O said:

When we do get our next HC I want no arranged marriage’s. Let him pick his own staff and coordinators 

+1. I understood why we did that giving the poor coaching staff Bowles had. But we will lose out on good HC options if we try and force them coaches to put on the staff.

Matt Rhule would have been our coach with Joe Brady as OC. We need to trust the HC we hire.

Edited by SDotNova

3 hours ago, Formula 14 said:

Thank you. 

I revisited 2 off season ago to recall what happened.

Jets' top 3 were Todd Monken, Adam Gase and Matt Rhule.   Rhule was chosen but Jets wanted Monken for OC and Rhule preferred Sean Ryan (Lions' qb coach). Rhule walked away. Gase was the next choice. 

It was weird process by Jets.  If Jets liked Monken that much for offensive turnaround then they could hire him instead of Gase and convinced him to hire best DC available aka Gregg Williams instead.   Or Jets could put Monken as OC under Gase as HC which what Jets would have done with Rhule if Rhule signed the contract.  Hiring Gase is simply because of head coach experience with offensive background to meet the new goal.

I would like to know how Rhule beat out Gase as HC gig when Jets were seeking for HC with offensive background?

Interesting part is that when Panthers hired Matt Rhule he hired Joe Brady instead of Sean Ryan who continues serving Lions as qb coach. If he was with Jets, we would witness another mess in offense last year. Same story as Gase but because Gase is HC, offense continues performing dully.

Joe Douglas and Chris Johnson need to ask themselves to look at this situation real real real good.  Use Saints for example.  Saints had been mediocre and dealt with major culture mess in New Orleans (Katrina) before Saints made ballsy move by hiring Sean Payton, one of most aggressive minds in NFL.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

As far as 2020 season, it is only one game. Sure. However, this very game reminds us that Gase has been like that since he becomes Jets' HC. Gase started 1-7 last year so he can't repeat this again.  I could see Gase will have to move from Darnold to Flacco after 0-3 in attempt to save his job. coughing, excuse me.

Gase stunk last year, but Gase did not stink week 1. Sam did. He looked better in the second half of last game - even if it still wasn't good enough - so I'm not going to panic. 

As far as benching, hope that Gase wouldn't do such a thing and I don't think he would. He would be him admitting defeat and would cost him his job. Darnold has shown enough to win with limited talent in his short career. The offensive line looks much better, and the skill positions may not be anything to write home to mom about but are the same if not better than they were in the past 2 years. I don't think he just "lost it" over night.

Need to take it one week at a time. As much as it made me want to scream watching it, have to keep in mind that Sam's poor performance came against a defense that allowed a 78.8 passer rating against opposing QBs last year (and 213.8 yards per game).  

55 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Joe Douglas and Chris Johnson need to ask themselves to look at this situation real real real good.  Use Saints for example.  Saints had been mediocre and dealt with major culture mess in New Orleans (Katrina) before Saints made ballsy move by hiring Sean Payton, one of most aggressive minds in NFL.

Getting Drew Brees helped a little, too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Matt Rhule would have been our coach with Joe Brady as OC. We need to trust the HC we hire.

Now why make this up? Brady hadn't even been an OC when Rhule was a candidate. He was a Saints offensive assistant(not even position coach) when LSU hired him.

We'd have Rhule, Macaggnan and who knows what.

Not a Gase fan. But he in his time here hasn’t ever straight up blamed players for losses. In his press conference Monday he eluded to this for the 1st time. He made it clear that the game plan on offense was good. That especially early there were lots of misses. Big things that should’ve happened that were missed that changed the game. Which is true. He never mentioned names. As he shouldn’t. But we all know it was Sam he was talking about.

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not a Gase fan. But he in his time here hasn’t ever straight up blamed players for losses. In his press conference Monday he eluded to this for the 1st time. He made it clear that the game plan on offense was good. That especially early there were lots of misses. Big things that should’ve happened that were missed that changed the game. Which is true. He never mentioned names. As he shouldn’t. But we all know it was Sam he was talking about.

And Sam acknowledged the same issues, he knew he was bad and costed us multiple opportunities. There were about 5/6 plays we left on the field offensively. If we convert those plays, well who knows.