2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'd match the dak contract now as an extension with a little thrown in now.

Well I don't think you can throw in any now money but the signing bonus would be now money, at least some of it. I think rookie contracts are set in stone.

Edited by Thomas5737

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

So the Browns are going to go into contract negotiations and say we will tag him two years if you don't agree to our terms? I don't think that packs any kind of punch because that is an already known option that every team has with their players.

We have two year of control. 

You are playing football, see theismann and Alex Smith, joe thomas and others have had career ending injuries. 

Sign this contract. 

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

We have two year of control. 

You are playing football, see theismann and Alex Smith, joe thomas and others have had career ending injuries. 

Sign this contract. 

You've won 24 games with my QB over less than 3 seasons of him starting. The last time you had a 3 year span with that many wins was before Baker was born. Want more of that? You won 4 games out of 50 before Baker came into the game as a rookie. Now you're winning playoff games...

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

We do have some leverage. 

We have him for two more years and then two after that with the tag.

The tag isn’t much leverage tho. Saying you got two years of tagging him. Thst will be like 2/$65m fully guaranteed contract. Baker will gladly accept that money and you run the Risk of pissing him off like was and dal did to their franchise QBs. One team drove their QB out of town and the other just massively over paid the other.

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, he would take over Jacoby Brissett's spot as the 11th highest paid QB by average in that scenario.

I think if we sign him this year it will be in the Goff/Wentz/Wilson/Cousins/Rodgers area between 4th and 9th highest. Likely would save about 5-8 million per year if they do it instead of waiting til next offseason.

I'd rather have him than Prescott so he (or his agent) may want Prescott money

Yep, just like the Derek Carr extension. It was crazy high at the time but now it looks right about where it should be.

I wonder if the genius's in the FO can front load Bakers deal so it 3-4 years its not killing the cap. 

15 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yep, just like the Derek Carr extension. It was crazy high at the time but now it looks right about where it should be.

I wonder if the genius's in the FO can front load Bakers deal so it 3-4 years its not killing the cap. 

3-4 years would kill our cap. We need money now. We’ve only got like 20M to play with and even that’s not even real cap space it’s all roll over. In 3-4 years Jarvis and Odell will be off the books and the cap will be even higher with tv money. I say back load it as much as possible. 

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

3-4 years would kill our cap. We need money now. We’ve only got like 20M to play with and even that’s not even real cap space it’s all roll over. In 3-4 years Jarvis and Odell will be off the books and the cap will be even higher with tv money. I say back load it as much as possible. 

mmmm yeah your right, I guess we will see what happens. Has their even been any rumors? 

52 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If we gave him the Dak deal as an extension it just needs to start after his 5th year which is in two years time

This is the most realistic win-win for everyone: extend him now so he gets his big money and is locked up for six years at a better average.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:39 PM, Kiwibrown said:

If we gave him the Dak deal as an extension it just needs to start after his 5th year which is in two years time

That is how extensions work. It's the reason Myles' cap number is lower than his APY this year. It's the 5th year option year.

It's confusing to Browns fans unaccustomed to draftees earning a 2nd contract. 

• Like 4

Just now, ditchdigger said:

That is how extensions work. It's the reason Myles' cap number is lower than his APY this year. It's the 5th year option year.

It's confusing to Browns fans unaccustomed to draftees earning a 2nd contract. 

Baker's cap number is locked in for 2 years.

The sooner we add years to that, the better deal it will be. 4 year $120M extension is probably where the starting point is now.

• Like 3