2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

20 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

However, I think to get to the “Final 4” and further your QB needs to be your best player.

I don't personally believe this. I think your best chance to make the final four is to be one of the four best teams. Just going by this year you could say QB being your best player is important. Or you could say having the best receiving options are important. Or you could say running backs are overrated.

In the end you need a defense good enough to stop your opposition more often that your offense gets stopped and vice/versa.

Your most important player will be your QB, Baker is our most important player. We just need to fix the D a little.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, I'm not interested in changing QBs and wouldn't even approach the idea. I can see how Baker haters would jump at the chance to swap out though and we still have a lot that hate and some who converted from hate to acceptance that would like the idea.

Not me.

I hate Watson even more!🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Not me.

I hate Watson even more!🤣

Well you're a special case. Most don't hate Watson, I don't. He doesn't have near the arm talent that Baker has but he makes the very best of what he has and it's enough to be a star. I don't think he would flourish with our wide receivers if they were manned up though, he isn't hitting the tight window throws with lasers like Baker does but he throws a pretty lob and has better mobility and is 1 and 3/16" taller which means a lot to some people.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well you're a special case. Most don't hate Watson, I don't. He doesn't have near the arm talent that Baker has but he makes the very best of what he has and it's enough to be a star. I don't think he would flourish with our wide receivers if they were manned up though, he isn't hitting the tight window throws with lasers like Baker does but he throws a pretty lob and has better mobility and is 1 and 3/16" taller which means a lot to some people.

How big are his hands?

• Like 2

Over the course of their respective careers, both Baker Mayfield and Deshaun Watson have lost in the playoffs to Patrick Mahomes.

Watson has looked better for longer, but Mayfield has looked best most recently.

So even in a vacuum, while you could say that Watson has been more productive and efficient over the course of his career and is more than likely the better overall talent at this point, Mayfield has shown over the course of his career that he is the perfect fit for this coach, offense, team and city.

I do not dislike Deshaun Watson, but I don't see any reason to destroy the team chemistry, organizational trust, and fan support that Baker has earned in Cleveland. He has put in the work, and the results are better than even I expected as a person who believed the Browns should draft him since Oklahoma beat Ohio State in Columbus and never once wavered. 

The proposed trade is so depleting and deflating to the idea of team building, I cannot see how Andrew Berry could pull the trigger on anything of the sort.  I can see him entertaining the idea for scholastic reasons, but it appears to me to run too far counter to everything that he and Depodesta have shown so far.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

The proposed trade is so depleting and deflating to the idea of team building, I cannot see how Andrew Berry could pull the trigger on anything of the sort.  I can see him entertaining the idea for scholastic reasons, but it appears to me to run too far counter to everything that he and Depodesta have shown so far.

Yeah, we're not doing it.

We were a top 8 offense in the second half of the year. They fixed the offense (and fixed it sustainably) in one off-season. This year is the defense's turn. 

We keep Baker. We go big on defense. We walk into the playoffs next year as KC's biggest roadblock and the 2nd favorite in the AFC.