2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

9 hours ago, braylon said:

Yes, they were bad. All I'm saying is, the bottom line is our offense only needed to score 23 points, which is a fact. The offense undoubtedly had a better game than the defense, but when it comes down to it, the game is about scoring points and stopping your opponent from scoring points. The defense came up with that interception late in the game and gave the offense a chance.. they blew it. Then the defense blew it lol. I mean, we just flat out didn't deserve to win.

Our offense had one less possessions than theirs did AND all but scored a TD that would have won the game but it was a fluke touchback

Our defense didn’t give our offense a chance to win. 

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I only had 1 real issue with the offense and that was how bad our guys were at getting open vs man coverage. They were fine other than that.

Yes. We saw it vs. the Ravens and KC. I don't recall seeing much separation at all with anyone vs. KC. This is why we need OBJ back (if he fits in the system) or at least if we trade him, we need to prioritize bringing in a viable athlete as a #1 outside guy.

• Like 1

Going forward, we will need to develop Baker and become more pass heavy. I don’t know when the switch will happen, but it needs to. I’m not suggesting we completely abandon Nick and Kareem either.

The final 4 teams are all pass heavy. Yes, 3/4 guys left are Mahommes, Rodgers, and Brady. However, I think Baker can be as good as Josh Allen.

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

The final 4 teams are all pass heavy. Yes, 3/4 guys left are Mahommes, Rodgers, and Brady. However, I think Baker can be as good as Josh Allen.

He was graded on par with those guys second half of the season. I think you keep running the system that fits Baker best. They definitely went more pass happy second half of the season. I think we're just moving toward the pass making the run even better rather than the other way around. 

3 hours ago, FGK said:

He was graded on par with those guys second half of the season. I think you keep running the system that fits Baker best. They definitely went more pass happy second half of the season. I think we're just moving toward the pass making the run even better rather than the other way around. 

The first half of the year we would get 5 yards per run, 5 yards, 12 yards, 5 yards, big run, 5 yards. The second half we got 1 yard, 2 yards, 8 yards, 1 yard, 1 yard, big run, 3 yards.

Whether that happened because teams were stacking the box or we had linemen/Chubb out at times but either way we were no longer able to create first downs or 3rd and short with our running game on a consistent basis. We had to rely on our passing game to carry us the second half of the season and into the playoffs. The run game became the compliment to the passing game.

Defenses will have to either play us straight up or make their choice of what to stop. I'm a big Baker supporter but if I was going to make the choice I'd continue to focus on stopping the Browns' running game and make Baker and his receivers beat me. Even with teams focusing on stopping the run the vast majority of Baker's throws were still to well covered receivers. Now if we get someone good at beating man (OBJ hasn't been very good at that for a few years so I'm not sure he will be the one) then things could get interesting.

If I were Andrew Berry, I would give Baker his contract now.  I know you're risking him flopping next year, but I would consider it more likely that he booms next year and becomes more expensive.

Plus, Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen are both due their contracts, so it'd be nice if Baker's was done before them (for market purposes).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

If I were Andrew Berry, I would give Baker his contract now.  I know you're risking him flopping next year, but I would consider it more likely that he booms next year and becomes more expensive.

Plus, Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen are both due their contracts, so it'd be nice if Baker's was done before them (for market purposes).

Doesn’t matter about Lamar. You can easily saw Lamar won an MVP. You haven’t, so you don’t get his kind of deal. Maybe then put in a clause that if he wins an MVP he gets a fat bonus 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Doesn’t matter about Lamar. You can easily say Lamar won an MVP. You haven’t, so you don’t get his kind of deal. Maybe then put in a clause that if he wins an MVP he gets a fat bonus 

He could come back with I perform better in the playoffs. Or I had more 4th quarter comebacks in my rookie year than he has in his career. Also, you shouldn't say that because you don't want to irritate your QB, or any player.

I would feel better about giving Baker a long term contract than Lamar. I would give Lamar more on a 1 year contract because he is losing a half of a step away from being a backup QB. Not to take anything away from Lamar, as a dual threat he can be explosive but if you just take a little bit of that away and you no longer fear him as a runner he simply isn't good enough to start and win you games.

Allen has advanced a lot more as a passer. He still has some questionable accuracy and he too would struggle if he couldn't extend plays but he has progressed as a passer far more than Lamar since they came in the league. I still don't think either of them are nearly as good as Baker as a passer they just have better intangibles which makes their job easier and creates more mismatches. Allen also has as good of protection as Mayfield and better receiving options. Oh, both teams have defenses also, right now with random QB we are screwed. The Bills and Ravens still could compete.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

So Zac Jackson put out a piece that the Browns should trade for Watson. Trading Baker and drsft picks for him 

There are a number of reasons why this is dumb. 

1. Deystroys team culture. 

2. Trade 3 players for 1 on a team that needs 7 starters on defense.

3. Baker deserves to stay, lose player trust with the trade

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FGK said:

I agree with you.

You can win a lot of different ways in the league. You can probably get to the divisional round being unconventional. However, I think to get to the “Final 4” and further your QB needs to be your best player.

This season was fantastic for Bakers mental growth. I’m hoping with a structured offseason, he can build on it.