What movie are you watching?

Forge

I enjoyed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this second time around now that I can take it for what it is and not for what I hoped it would be.  DiCaprio and Pitt really make the movie, they had great chemistry together.  Still falls into the mid-tier of Tarantino movies for me, and it probably needs to cut a good 20-30 minutes from the run time.  A good 4-5 memorable scenes though, and I do love the ending. QT does love his alternative history.  I think I put this a notch above Inglourious Basterds, but that's another one I might have to give a rewatch sometime soon.

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Kill Bill
  3. Reservoir Dogs
  4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  5. Inglourious Basterds
  6. Django Unchained
  7. The Hateful Eight
  8. Jackie Brown

Still haven't seen Death Proof.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tony Scott is my least favorite director I would objectively call a good director.

I hate how his movies look, but more importantly I hate how they feel.

So jarring.

Watching The Taking of Pelham 123 again and I feel like the average shot length is .73 seconds long.

No time to digest anything at all. The visual equivalent of drinking flavored turpentine. It’s digested and shooting out by the time you’ve just processed what you drank.

Not saying it’s not an effective and distinct visual style, just saying it’s definitely not for me.

Edited by MacReady

13 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Tony Scott is my least favorite director I would objectively call a good director.

So jarring.

Watching The Taking of Pelham 123 again and I feel like the average shot length is .73 seconds long.

No time to digest anything at all. The visual equivalent of drinking flavored turpentine. It’s digested and shooting out by the time you’ve just processed what you drank.

Not saying it’s not an effective and distinct visual style, just saying it’s definitely not for me.

True Romance though?

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:
  1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Kill Bill
  3. Reservoir Dogs
  5. Inglourious Basterds
  6. Django Unchained
  7. The Hateful Eight
  8. Jackie Brown

damn i'd go nearly reverse lol

1. jackie brown
2. hateful eight
3. kill bill 1/2
4. death proof
5. once upon a time
6. django
7. reservoir dogs
8. pulp fiction
9. basterds 

not a big tarantino guy though. but really love jackie brown and hateful eight. 

• Like 1

watched funny pages tonight

ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzLzU0ZTQw

one of the better coming of age movies that's come out in the past few years imo. really loved how unkempt it felt. didn't realize the safdies produced it until after, but i was thinking at one point this kinda has a safdie vibe lol. 

14 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I enjoyed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this second time around now that I can take it for what it is and not for what I hoped it would be.  DiCaprio and Pitt really make the movie, they had great chemistry together.  Still falls into the mid-tier of Tarantino movies for me, and it probably needs to cut a good 20-30 minutes from the run time.  A good 4-5 memorable scenes though, and I do love the ending. QT does love his alternative history.  I think I put this a notch above Inglourious Basterds, but that's another one I might have to give a rewatch sometime soon.

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Kill Bill
  3. Reservoir Dogs
  5. Inglourious Basterds
  6. Django Unchained
  7. The Hateful Eight
  8. Jackie Brown

Still haven't seen Death Proof.

Death Proof and Grindhouse, they are ok movies but not great.  And did you included Kill Bill 1 and 2 as the same film?  I would say those two individually are his top, and if not that possibly Reservoir Dogs which is really great.  Pulp Fiction is solid but not as rewatchable as those others I would say.

Django I would say is over Inglourious Basterds and honestly I hated Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, that was so overhyped.  Sure it is decent to watch on TV for some laughs but honestly the story pretty much sucks and is so random it is odd.  Lucky for him Brad Pitt is in it so that makes it cool.

One thing about Tarantino he does make some interesting dialog where one is just glued to the characters in the scene.  Almost all of his movies have some few memorable scenes or speeches that just make them able to be watched over and over. Then again it also has added to the over use of general swearing in society...haha  Now what used to be like wow that is a lot of swearing in a film, it is just common place even in real life.  

The fact he wrote these is what is really amazing, so rare to find that and to have someone who actually creates something of his own.  Then again Uma did help him write apparently those Kill Bill films which is impressive as well.  He has his actors and that helps, because the Actors make the film of course, same lines said by someone else are totally different.  And Quentin has absolutely made careers for some of those actors who are honestly only really great in his films.  Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, Michael Parks, Chris Penn, Steve Buscemi to name a few.  

10 hours ago, MacReady said:

So jarring.

Top Gun the original was clearly unique at the time and holds up still to this day, very cool film.  Days of Thunder I liked as well, that is a solid film.  I really like True Romance, love that film and overall vibe it has.  

Welcome to the Rileys is an oddly solid film and Gandolfini is very good in it.  Deja Vu is not awful, Crimson Tide is sweet, Enemy of the State is decent.  So he has a solid movie director list I would say, The Taking of Pelham 123 I would not say is that great the remake he made and would not be included in his best work.  

@Tugboat

Watched Under The Skin again, and sure that is a ton of skin shown by Scarlett....but honestly that is a pretty deep film in terms of meaning.  They never really give you an idea of what is going on and straight up never tell you.  The music in the film is pretty sweet  and really adds to the vibe of being some Alien or other life form.  Shot pretty well with some creative scenes no question.  Does have the Neo Noir vibe no question with her fur coat, Bob Hair and dark overall scenery, plus the dudes on the Motorcycles who are absolutely hauling ***.  

One has to just guess what is happening, but clearly the dudes on the Bike make her bring guys into that house where they strip and walk naked down that black pit of goo because a pretty girl is walking backward.  It really changes when they add in the actor with Neurofibromatosis or basically has the look of the "Elephant Man", that is curious for sure.  That is a entirely different dynamic.

Then she lets that guy out of the goo after leading him in I would assume, and does it after looking in the mirror and realizing what she is?  Whatever but then she goes off and the bikes dudes try to find her, some guy takes her in and before she was technically the predator going after men and using them.  Then things flip, a guy befriends her, is nice for awhile then just tries to get it on like all the other guys she went after did.  She gets scared and runs off after his advances.

Awful scary scene in the end with that trucker dude attacking her, and again she used to be the predator and roles flipped, same reason and thinking again for that guy as all the other guys.  The skin scene was sweet when she took that off after being hurt and it ripped, that was unique for sure.  

And it is like oh this is just a Sci Fi movie, that would never happen, when really it would happen no question about it if that was the situation.  A lot of guys just living some hollow shallow meaningless life trying to get some freaking action and have sex with as many girls as they can and the prettier the better and more important it is regardless of any personality what so ever from the girl.  Just depends on how they look and that skin regardless of what is under it. 

Deep film, interesting questions they bring up regardless of Scarlett showing it all or not.  But still does come down to pretty sad she is that good in a movie and says nothing but that helps her generally in regards to acting because she is already some what stiff and rigid to begin with.  Decent film choice and it is so unique as a film it will hold up regardless of the nudity or not.  Could argue the frontal nudity for her in the film was not even needed, her nude back and butt are amazing, could have got just as good of a sexual vibe from that and a few quick side shots then let that be it.  However if the viewer is not actually thinking about the film or the meaning and just want to see some celebrity naked because they heard she was in this film, then whatever.  But clearly the Director was going for more than just that, or at least that is how I read into it.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Death Proof and Grindhouse, they are ok movies but not great.  And did you included Kill Bill 1 and 2 as the same film?  I would say those two individually are his top, and if not that possibly Reservoir Dogs which is really great.  Pulp Fiction is solid but not as rewatchable as those others I would say.

Django I would say is over Inglourious Basterds and honestly I hated Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, that was so overhyped.  Sure it is decent to watch on TV for some laughs but honestly the story pretty much sucks and is so random it is odd.  Lucky for him Brad Pitt is in it so that makes it cool.

One thing about Tarantino he does make some interesting dialog where one is just glued to the characters in the scene.  Almost all of his movies have some few memorable scenes or speeches that just make them able to be watched over and over. Then again it also has added to the over use of general swearing in society...haha  Now what used to be like wow that is a lot of swearing in a film, it is just common place even in real life.  

The fact he wrote these is what is really amazing, so rare to find that and to have someone who actually creates something of his own.  Then again Uma did help him write apparently those Kill Bill films which is impressive as well.  He has his actors and that helps, because the Actors make the film of course, same lines said by someone else are totally different.  And Quentin has absolutely made careers for some of those actors who are honestly only really great in his films.  Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, Michael Parks, Chris Penn, Steve Buscemi to name a few. 

Kill Bill is one story, that's why I had it as one, it's really just a 4 hour movie with an "intermission".  I used to separate them because I like 1 more than 2, but one makes more sense to me now.

Funny enough, Pulp Fiction is his most rewatchable movie for me, it's the one by far that I have seen the most. I'm enthralled by the characters every time.

I should probably give Jackie Brown another chance because I saw it when it came out and I was only 16, but I really hated it back then.  Saw it with a few buddies and we all hated it. Probably one of the worst theater going experiences of my life.

Hateful Eight was fine I guess, I just didn't really care what happened to any of the characters.  Probably the least I've been drawn in by any QT movie.  Plenty of stakes, just not stakes I really cared about.

I thought the ending of Django was was too over stylized.  Generally, I don't mind that, but it was to the point to where it killed my emersion. My initial reaction to OUaTiH was disappointment, but going back with lowered expectations and there really was a lot I liked about that movie.

Trust me, there was plenty of swearing going around well before QT started making movies.

10 hours ago, Forge said:

There is a type of character in movies that nobody on this planet plays better than Laura Linney 

I've kinda just gotten around to equating that character to being...well...Laura Linney. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I should probably give Jackie Brown another chance because I saw it when it came out and I was only 16, but I really hated it back then.  Saw it with a few buddies and we all hated it. Probably one of the worst theater going experiences of my life.

I can see that since you were 16. Jackie Brown is a movie for grownups so I’d imagine you’d appreciate it now that you are one lol. It’s my 2nd fave QT movie after OUATIH

• Like 1

The Iron Claw 8/10 films could’ve used another 20-30 mins. Think it left a lot including, the youngest brother all together, but did a good with the story.

War Dogs 6/10 was a decent film that over fabricated a lot of the real story.