What movie are you watching?

Forge

23 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I genuinely thought I remembered it not being held at a high regard, weird. I did like it tho. When Jeff Bridges tells the kid dying in the cabin “I can’t do nothin for ya, son”. Stone cold 

It might depend on who is reviewing it. I’m not a John Wayne fan. I don’t think he makes a convincing cowboy/outlaw/lawman of the old west, outside of a few roles. He’s iconic though. But he came from such a romanticized era of Hollywood westerns, that imo, almost all of his westerns should be remade with some better actors and some more believable/realistic character motivations. The Searchers, for example...It’s maybe one of the greatest western stories ever written, and a lotta film people love it. But it sucks, ruined by corniness.

Edited by SMashMouthMike

7 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

It might depend on who is reviewing it. I’m not a John Wayne fan. I don’t think he makes a convincing cowboy/outlaw/lawman of the old west, outside of a few roles. He’s iconic though. But he came from such a romanticized era of Hollywood westerns, that imo, almost all of his westerns should be remade with some better actors and some more believable/realistic character motivations. The Searchers, for example...It’s maybe one of the greatest westerns stories ever written, and a lotta film people love it. But it sucks, ruined by corniness.

I need to retcon all memories of older movies and watch them again cause now that I’m getting older I can appreciate them more. Before, all performances seemed stiff and delivery felt eccentric and over the top but I watched White Christmas recently and enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I need to retcon all memories of older movies and watch them again cause now that I’m getting older I can appreciate them more. Before, all performances seemed stiff and delivery felt eccentric and over the top but I watched White Christmas recently and enjoyed it. 

Rewatch the searchers. It will cure you of your desires, lol. At least for silly John Wayne westerns. John Wayne might be the best actor in it too,smh.

I’m not familiar with White Christmas or it’s genre though. I’ve watched a lot of westerns, and Randolph Scott > John Wayne. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

I finally watched Terminator Dark Fate.  The opening scene explains why the movie was a box office bomb. Perfect example of how brain dead script writers put themselves into a self made trap . 

Spoiler

The major side plot is Sarah Conner as a terminator hunter who was provided intel as to where and when future terminators would invade. For some unexplained reason the writers believed only a terminator could provide that info. To elevate a terminator into a savior required John to be terminated at the beginning of the movie so that the terminator could be slowly humanized over the next two decades. WHAAAT?! A terminator getting in touch with its soft side?  Terminators don't have soft sides any more than a great white shark does.  Epic fail! That plot move not only torpedoed the movie but it also killed the franchise.  That role of the terminator tasked with providing messages to Sarah could just as easily been tasked to John himself. Simply bring back Furlong as a grad student in physics who is researching quantum worm holes Or even as a high school science teacher with an intense interest in the same. He would notice the cosmic booms signaling the appearance of future terminators then team up with Sarah for the hunting. Or they could have done something else. Anything else would have been better.

4 hours ago, TVScout said:

I finally watched Terminator Dark Fate.  The opening scene explains why the movie was a box office bomb. Perfect example of how brain dead script writers put themselves into a self made trap . 

Reveal hidden contents

The major side plot is Sarah Conner as a terminator hunter who was provided intel as to where and when future terminators would invade. For some unexplained reason the writers believed only a terminator could provide that info. To elevate a terminator into a savior required John to be terminated at the beginning of the movie so that the terminator could be slowly humanized over the next two decades. WHAAAT?! A terminator getting in touch with its soft side?  Terminators don't have soft sides any more than a great white shark does.  Epic fail! That plot move not only torpedoed the movie but it also killed the franchise.  That role of the terminator tasked with providing messages to Sarah could just as easily been tasked to John himself. Simply bring back Furlong as a grad student in physics who is researching quantum worm holes Or even as a high school science teacher with an intense interest in the same. He would notice the cosmic booms signaling the appearance of future terminators then team up with Sarah for the hunting. Or they could have done something else. Anything else would have been better.

When James Cameron explained that decision he was like, "What are we gonna do, have John Connor as some accountant somewhere?"

And I was like... Yes. 100% yes. There were so many better directions. I'm sick of rehashing it though. Cameron had zero excuses. They killed Newt and Hicks on him, then he went and killed his own John Connor expecting different results.

Terrible. Idiot decision.

• Like 2

Ghostbuster: Afterlife wasn't expecting much but ended up thoroughly enjoying the film. The little girl who played Egon's granddaughter was spectacular. She really captured his essence. The story was far fetched and silly but so was GBII so whatever. I'm a fan and the nostalgia and fan service was spot on. I hope they continue making films in the universe. 

Spoiler: Ray finally learned his lesson..when Gozer asks if you are a God...you say YES!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Ghostbuster: Afterlife wasn't expecting much but ended up thoroughly enjoying the film. The little girl who played Egon's granddaughter was spectacular. She really captured his essence. The story was far fetched and silly but so was GBII so whatever. I'm a fan and the nostalgia and fan service was spot on. I hope they continue making films in the universe. 

Spoiler: Ray finally learned his lesson..when Gozer asks if you are a God...you say YES!!!

I was the only person in the theater to laugh at her jokes lol. The fish joke, when it was done, was perfect.

• Like 1

I am going through all the movies I loved most as a kid because I want to that’s why.

Terminator 2 - It’s not perfect, but I’m calling it so. Almost every single scene is memorable. The pacing is flawless. Sarah Connor is rivaled only by Ellen Ripley in terms of heroines. Only drawback is Edward Furlong and John Connor being a tad too obnoxious.

Next is Aliens. Same is going to apply. Two movies that are flawless if you take the kid out completely.

Add Predator and Jurassic Park and those four movies make the foundation of what hooked me on movies as a kid. More than any others, those four movies shaped my opinion of film in general.

If it don’t have monsters, I don’t want it (for the most part).

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Going to see Scream here in about an hour. I'm beyond stoked.

Was excellent fan service but, once again, they have trouble closing. I am a massive Scream fan and I knew who the killers were long before the reveal. That's the ONLY disappointing thing about the film. It was fun as hell but lost me in the final act.

My Scream Rankings:
1. Scream
2. Scream 3
3. Scream 2
4. Scream 5
5. Scream 4

I don't know if they were explicitly going over the top with the satire this time but I'm willing to hear it from others.

Edited by beekay414

My absolute BIGGEST issue with Scream (2022)

Spoiler

The fact that they spun it as the girl killing Dewey. Arquette is 5'10" and the ghostface killer stabbed him in the front and then OVER the shoulder and then pulled him up to gash him up and expose his inside. The girl was like 5'2" max. Made no sense and that's where it lost me. I knew it was her and the boyfriend from the first (attempted) kill scene (we don't clone phones anymore so the video was pre-recorded and she was texting her the entire time) and outside the bowling alley scene when Sam is going back to Woodsboro. Love the movie but god damn.

Edited by beekay414