What movie are you watching?

Forge

On 2/14/2022 at 7:48 PM, Bowler1215 said:

Don't Breathe 2 was ok.  The villains aren't memorable, although their scheme was cruel.  Stephen Lang Was more an anti-hero this time instead of a villain.  The first on was solid until the twist.  This one was just ok.  5/10

I just find something INHERENTLY wrong with trying to turn a rapist into a sympathetic figure. I wish the fall had killed him at the end of the first movie.

Anyhoo, I just watched the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequel, requel, or whatever the fk the new trendy thing in Hollywood is on Netflix, and it's garbage. Some nice kills and gore, everything else is a hot mess. Even some of the gore/kill scenes are marred by characters getting up and shaking them off like they're nothing at certain points. It certainly didn't help that I couldn't care less if any of them lived or died because none of the characters are remotely likable in this with plot holes and dumb cliches galore. And they totally wasted Sally Hardesty, who's just there to check nostalgia boxes. 

Oh, and since when:

Spoiler

was Gunner Hansen's Leatherface (because that's what it is, almost 50 years later) a burly Michael Myers/Jason Voorhees "I can tank anything!" juggernaut killer? I'm pretty sure a 74-year-old inbred guy who cowers from fighting his inbred family wouldn't come at you that fast with a f'ing chainsaw and tank several shotgun shells at point blank range and an uppercut with his own chainsaw to the head.

I always disliked the original TexasChainsaw Massacre and thought the 2003 TCM was the best movie in the entire TCM collection, but whatever I just watched is possibly the worst attempt at a sequel to a classic horror movie I’ve seen in maybe my lifetime.

It was like they threw 17 people and three armadillos into a room.

1 was super liberal.

1 was super conservative.

The rest of them had never actually watched a movie.

And then the armadillos wrote the whole movie.

I also watched the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie, I didn't like it.  I'm not a fan of the series in general(I even think the original was just ok, and I've only seen 4 or 5 of these movies)  The bus scene was crazy.  The first kill was brutal, not much else was memorable.  I didn't care for the characters, so there was no tension or suspense when they were hiding, being chased, etc.  This is a run of the mill slasher flick, so some characters make stupid mistakes(go places they shouldn't, not listen when they should, etc)  They should have done 2018 Halloween with this one, making Sally the main focus gunning for Leatherface, and the kids in the town get a few scenes.  IMO that would have made it better.  I think I'm being generous giving this 3/10. 

Just got back from Spiderman.. I only heard bad things about it so I was just going to wait until I could watch it at home, but had some time to kill today.

I loved it. It wasn't just about saving the villains, it was about curing them.. Seemed to me that these weren't even bad people, just that the powers took over and warped their personalities... May and Peter recognized that in Osborne & wanted to give them a second chance, which is 100% what PP would have done.

The fan service was great, even for someone who's never seen the Garfield films & hasn't seen the Toby versions since they came out on DVD. Also, my favorite part was Peter just beating the snot out of GG. Very reminiscent of the video games & makes me think we will see a more bad*** version of Spiderman going forward now that he isn't "pulling punches"

Trying to watch some of these Oscar movies

King Richard-  Was OK.  Will Smith gives a good performance.  I like they don't really make him out to be a good guy without flaws.  He just had two incredibly talented daughters.  Obviously they kept this rosy colored glasses but I enjoyed it.  Not sure its a winner oscar wide though, nothing really new about it.  6/10

Dune-  I had never seen the original so I came in clear eyed. Its a holy what the hell of confusion at points but visually absolutely stunning.  I'm glad the story is continuing or i would have been pissed.  I finally started getting into it after a slow build and it ended.  8/10

Power of the Dog-  Probably my favorite of the three so far just pure store and performance wise.  However, it is definitely a slow slow burn type of movie.  Won't be for everyone.  However, by the end, everything you see has a point and the characters make for a great film  8.5/10

Nightmare Alley-  Made it rhrough about 25 minutes.  Will return sometime this week to it.  Seems interesting so far.  Set pieces are great thus far

Don't Look up will be next, then maybe Licorice Pizza if I can find it.  No real interest in CODA or West Side Story.  May get to Belfast, and the Car one, though I heard thats silly long