What movie are you watching?

Forge

dont-look-up.png

Finally watched Don't Look Up, and it's about 45-60 minutes longer than it needed to be. I did a "is this almost over" check and there was still 54 minutes left (including credits).  It has a few bright spots, Dicaprio is pretty good, Lawrence is pretty meh. Didn't feel like I wasted my time, but didn't enjoy it all that much either and likely don't ever watch it again.

C

• Like 2

Department Q: The keeper of Lost Causes

this is the 1st movie of 3 involving cold cases. It takes place in Denmark, maybe Sweden, I think. But it’s free on Amazon and so far it’s really really good. Solid A-/B+. Not much peripheral drama, if any, to the detectives, which is always refreshing these days to me. 7.5/10. not the best story, but the 2 detectives are damned good. Comparable to true detective season 3 imo. 

the 2nd and 3rd movies just have moments with the two detectives that are good, but these 2 stories kinda suck and have ridiculous, unbelievable endings. And, the Suspects are pretty poor imo. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

Watched the new Scream last night.  Always good to see Neve, Courtney and David.  Melissa Barrera and Jenna Ortega were also good in it.  I got invested in their characters and cared for them.  The rest of the cast felt like they were just there.  As a result, there wasn't a lot of tension.  And the mystery aspect was weak.  No red herring, the reveal of the killer or killers was: a) predictable and b) with the killer or a killer, it felt like they pulled a name or two out of a hat.  A couple cool kills, a great opening scene, lots of meta references.  I still had fun with this one.  7/10

F9: The Fast Saga.  The last two in the series feels like they're trying to milk this franchise for all it's worth.  The twists were predictable, the action once again was over the top.  In a way it felt like a Michael Bay movie.  I didn't buy the guys who played Dom and Jakob in the flashback scenes.  But it is a Fast and Furious movie, you have to suspend disbelief(to an insane level again) and is a F&F movie, but overall it's pretty much the same thing since the 6th.  I enjoyed it for what it is, nothing more.  Maybe hardcore fans will like this one more.  6/10  

The Impossible. Stars Naomi Watts & Ewan McGregor & at least one very annoying little kid around 10 years old. It’s about a Thailand tsunami that hits this family vacationing there. It rec’d a 7.6 (somehow)from IMDB. It’s free on Prime. So far I’m just annoyed at the little kid screaming,lol. The mom is injured now she is screaming. Ffs. The screaming/annoying little boy is a young Tom Holland, 😂. Won’t ruin it for you, but if u wanna torture yourself, yes there’s more crying and screaming. Goodness…5/10. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

On 3/5/2022 at 12:51 PM, SMashMouthMike said:

The Impossible. Stars Naomi Watts & Ewan McGregor & at least one very annoying little kid around 10 years old. It’s about a Thailand tsunami that hits this family vacationing there. It rec’d a 7.6 (somehow)from IMDB. It’s free on Prime. So far I’m just annoyed at the little kid screaming,lol. The mom is injured now she is screaming. Ffs. The screaming/annoying little boy is a young Tom Holland, 😂. Won’t ruin it for you, but if u wanna torture yourself, yes there’s more crying and screaming. Goodness…5/10. 

It's about a tsunami. You'd be screaming too. Did you expect giggles?

6 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Ha! No but to the but they were screaming almost the entire movie lol. Have u seen it? It’s annoying. I hated it. 

I saw it. I get where you’re coming from, and I can’t watch movies with crying babies in them, but I do not remember this problem from that movie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

A Quiet Place part 2 was still quite tense and suspenseful as the first.  The beginning was solid, as was the rest of the movie.  Everyone was good in it.  Like the first one, this movie just ends.  Other than that, solid movie.  8/10

Like honestly, I’m not saying you complained here, but I’ve heard that before. When people critique A Quiet Place for “just ending.”

I get so irritated with that. People complaining about a movie just ending or not having a great ending. I am so sick of people simultaneously complaining about every movie being the same, and then when they get something fresh they complain because it wasn’t like every movie they’ve ever seen.

^Adding to this, I just watched Old.

I love that Shyamalan tries to do something different with his movies. He’s very hit or miss, and I didn’t love Old, but I give Shyamalan a lot of credit for trying to inject new life into a Hollywood full of adaptations and existing IPs.

• Like 3

Watched three movies yesterday.

The French Dispatch was fine although I didn't really enjoy the last story as much as the previous two. I'd consider it a mid tier Wes Anderson movie.

The King's Man was okay but needed to just let Rasputin be the bad guy. He stole the show. I don't think the action sequences were nearly as good as the first two movies. 

Antlers I thought was pretty great. Really good atmospheric horror/creature feature, but there's another movie featuring that particular creature that I enjoy much more. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1