What movie are you watching?

Forge

On 3/12/2022 at 11:52 PM, beekay414 said:

A casualty of an era of viewers that want nothing but popcorn flicks. TLD was an excellent film. People just want mindless entertainment nowadays. I'm not saying I like artsy fartsy movies, because I don't, but I thoroughly enjoy period pieces.

TLD was hamstrung by horrible/nonexistent advertising, and an audience that now sees anything that isn't action packed as preachy artsy garbage. 

Unfortunately studios have now made their own bed in that regard because everything they make that isn't action packed tends to be preachy artsy garbage. 

Decided to watch Love and Other Drugs thinking it was highly acclaimed but it’s not and for good reason lol. Maybe one of the worst Jake Gyllenhaal movies I’ve seen and I generally like his stuff. Anne Hathaway gets naked a lot so i guess that’s good. 

39 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Decided to watch Love and Other Drugs thinking it was highly acclaimed but it’s not and for good reason lol. Maybe one of the worst Jake Gyllenhaal movies I’ve seen and I generally like his stuff. Anne Hathaway gets naked a lot so i guess that’s good. 

It's not bad at all.

The Tragedy of MacBeth with Denzel and Frances McDormand

I just started it, and I really like it so far. It’s my first experience with MacBeth, so I can’t say how true to the source material it is. However, I really like what Joel Coen is doing with it so far.

9 hours ago, JohnChimpo said:

The Tragedy of MacBeth with Denzel and Frances McDormand

I just started it, and I really like it so far. It’s my first experience with MacBeth, so I can’t say how true to the source material it is. However, I really like what Joel Coen is doing with it so far.

If you want to see a comedy in a similar vein watch Kenneth Branagh's 'Much Ado About Nothing' from 1993 which also features Denzel, Branagh, Emma Thompson, Keanu Reeves, Kate Beckinsale, and a brilliant performance by Michael Keaton is a comic role.  Keanu is a bit stiff, but Branagh and Thompson have great chemistry, and the rest of the cast is pretty damn good.

• Like 1

The Adam Project was ok.  Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool for the millionth time, that's getting old.  There were also a lot of subplots, as in too many.  Not a bad movie but not one I'm going out of my way to see a second time.  6/10

Last Night in Soho was great.  Edgar Wright can make a movie about paint drying and he'd direct the hell out of it.  Thomasin Mckenzie was great in this, as was Anya Taylor Joy.  Neat twist as well, and with EWs movies, you're going to pick up on more hints and clues on re-watches.  And since EW puts his characters first, I was more interested in where the story was going because I cared about Ellie(TMcK)  This movie is great, I really liked it and I can't wait to see it again.  10/10  I can't recommend this one enough.

19 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

The Adam Project was ok.  Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool for the millionth time, that's getting old.  There were also a lot of subplots, as in too many.  Not a bad movie but not one I'm going out of my way to see a second time.  6/10

Last Night in Soho was great.  Edgar Wright can make a movie about paint drying and he'd direct the hell out of it.  Thomasin Mckenzie was great in this, as was Anya Taylor Joy.  Neat twist as well, and with EWs movies, you're going to pick up on more hints and clues on re-watches.  And since EW puts his characters first, I was more interested in where the story was going because I cared about Ellie(TMcK)  This movie is great, I really liked it and I can't wait to see it again.  10/10  I can't recommend this one enough.

Reynolds kind of only plays himself these days and he's entertaining so it works. However, I'd agree that in The Adam Project it doesn't work nearly as well as it normally does.

Saw a movie recently on Hulu called No Exit that was a really solid thriller. Would recommend.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:03 AM, Ray Reed said:

Not sure I've seen a movie I disliked more in the past 5 years than Power of the Dog

What an absolute bait and switch - trailer made it out to be something it definitely was not lol

HaHa! Me too. Check out OLD HENRY. It blows the hell out of Power of the Dog imo.

Spoiler

I don’t know what the hell power of the dog was going for, but it’s a weird, historical, semi-, modern, anti- western maybe, a forbidden romance revenge drama seen through a sociological, psychological, brokeback mountain kinda viewpoint, idk. Not too interesting to me. Not very entertaining to me. I also didn’t like BC as a cowboy, but maybe that was it’s point? And That was Kodi Smith-McPhee as our protagonist champion aye? Whatever. I still want his a** kicked for ruining The Road.

Edited by SMashMouthMike
  • Like 1