What movie are you watching?

Forge

Watched "A Boy And His Dog" on a recommendation, and it was definitely worth it. Great weird 70s Sci Fi film. The basic premise is WW4 has just ended and the world is a post-apocalyptic wasteland after nuclear destruction. Scavengers, Raiders, and other 'Oddities' are basically what now comprises civilization(Very similar to the 'Fallout' series which this movie apparently helped inspire). Dogs play a major role in the new world because of their ability to sniff out food... and women. The movie follows a young man and his dog as the title suggests, but the catch is that they share a special telepathic connection. One that helps them navigate the perilous times they live in. Currently, the dilemma in front of our young gun slinging main character is that he hasn't gotten laid in while. So he and his telepathic dog set out to find a woman to assault. 

- Yup, that's the actual plot of the movie. 

As bizarre as the film was, reading up on (lead role)Don Johnson's personal life was even more of a trip. I recommend taking a look at both the movie and his exploits.  

3 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Finally watched Dunkirk. Thought it was really solid.

Dunkirk is one I seem to like more every time I see it.  I rarely have the time (or motivation) to rewatch movies the past several years with kids ages soon to be 8 to 15, but Dunkirk is one i've managed to watch 3 times now.  Frankly, kind of getting the itch to see it again.

11 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Dunkirk is one I seem to like more every time I see it.  I rarely have the time (or motivation) to rewatch movies the past several years with kids ages soon to be 8 to 15, but Dunkirk is one i've managed to watch 3 times now.  Frankly, kind of getting the itch to see it again.

You’ve  watched it 3 times? Jeez I don’t think I even got more than half way through before shutting it off.

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

You’ve  watched it 3 times? Jeez I don’t think I even got more than half way through before shutting it off.

I’m going to preface my comment by addressing the elephant in the room: I don’t appreciate you slapping a comedian on stage. 

But Dunkirk was a hard watch for me. Instead of the usual that I enjoy (action vs action in a war movie) it’s a panicked retreat against action in a war movie. It’s a difficult one to appreciate or watch multiple times but I think I’ll give it another go. 

• Like 1

Hell or High Water. It’s okay. I was more patient with it this time than I was originally because I felt originally it was trying too hard to be No Country for Old Men. I don’t agree with rotten tomatoes giving it a 97% lol, I’d say it’s high 70s maybe low 80s. Average rewatchability probably. 

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Hell or High Water. It’s okay. I was more patient with it this time than I was originally because I felt originally it was trying too hard to be No Country for Old Men. I don’t agree with rotten tomatoes giving it a 97% lol, I’d say it’s high 70s maybe low 80s. Average rewatchability probably. 

You understand how rotten tomatoes works right?

If 97 percent of people think its "pretty good", it will get a 97.

Edited by Malfatron

17 hours ago, Ty21 said:

But Dunkirk was a hard watch for me. Instead of the usual that I enjoy (action vs action in a war movie) it’s a panicked retreat against action in a war movie. It’s a difficult one to appreciate or watch multiple times but I think I’ll give it another go. 

To me Dunkirk is a masterclass on building tension and pacing.  Great acting, loved the constant drone and ticking of the score, and i'm a sucker for the true blue hero stuff. It also manages not to sugarcoat the nastier aspects of war either.  I enjoyed Dunkirk far more than 1918.

20 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Yeah I didn't care for that premise either. The scene in 1917 where the lead's soldier buddy gets waxed by the pilot they just shot down reminded me of that vibe.  I haven't watched Dunkirk all the way thru since then but I'd be down to rewatch the aerial combat sequences with Hardy.  Those were awesome.

14 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Hell or High Water. It’s okay. I was more patient with it this time than I was originally because I felt originally it was trying too hard to be No Country for Old Men. 

I've got major Taylor Sheridan fatigue lol.  I haven't watched the Jeremy Renner series yet bcuz of it.