What movie are you watching?

Forge

3 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

awesome movies... 

haven't sen the other two 

I haven’t seen One Cut of the Dead. Seems to Malf for me, but you ain’t seen Cabin in the Woods?

You should feel bad.

It is the Last Action Hero of horror movies.

• Like 1

Hit two movies from 1999 this weekend:

The Talented Mr. Ripley- Have seen it a couple times before, but it's one I don't mind hitting again. Outside of Jude Law briefly losing his American accent during one scene where he's screaming, it's essentially a masterclass acting performance from both him and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. They're just unbelievable in this one. Movie is worth a couple watches for their characters alone. Love the setting as well, the Italian coast effortlessly makes movies more enjoyable. 

Matt Damon predictably fumbles the bag as the lead though, and I really wonder where this movie would stand today had someone like Christian Bale been locked in to play Tom Ripley. Apparently he was considered for the role too. Good movie that could've been great had the 3rd act not been put on the shoulders of the film's weakest talents(Damon & Paltrow). 

Talented_mr_ripley.jpg

Audition- Hadn't seen this one before, only heard the hype. Review?- Solid to Good. Strong acting from all involved and for as bizarre as the film tries to be, there's a lot of reality at it's core. A great caution piece for those who hunt relationships with loosened morality and on the blind spots that objectification naturally carries. 

If you're unfamiliar with the deep end of 80s/90s Japanese horror the movie likely accomplishes it's ultimate goal and notches an even more favorable rating from you. There's an obvious danger when a film depends on shocking the audience though, and as someone who has watched  "you won't believe how crazy this is" entertainment since I was a kid- Audition's excess felt very "been there, done that" for me. Creatively I appreciated it, but the impact wasn't there. That won't be the same for everyone though. Definitely recommend this one.

Audition-1999-poster.jpg

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I haven’t seen One Cut of the Dead. Seems to Malf for me, but you ain’t seen Cabin in the Woods?

You should feel bad.

It is the Last Action Hero of horror movies.

I know dude.. I just haven't yet.. and +1 for the last action hero 

Watched Nobody, and it was solid.  Not great.  A quick 90 minute watch, and it really could have benefitted from 10-15 minutes more runtime as long as they used it to meaningfully expand the story, which I think they could have given all they alluded to with his past.

B-

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Watched Nobody, and it was solid.  Not great.  A quick 90 minute watch, and it really could have benefitted from 10-15 minutes more runtime as long as they used it to meaningfully expand the story, which I think they could have given all they alluded to with his past.

B-

I agree it could’ve been longer and probably more fleshed out but I still liked it for what it was. 

7 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

200.gif

Oh I liked it. It’s not a bad movie by any means, but it just felt lifeless. The whole plot was undigging what we already knew from the first one. It was really just… It wasn’t great.

Not trying to completely poop on it here, but the reality is you’re fooling yourself if you think it was some fantastic movie.

It was a great sendoff to the original Ghostbusters, it just wasn’t a great movie on its own.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Oh I liked it. It’s not a bad movie by any means, but it just felt lifeless. The whole plot was undigging what we already knew from the first one. It was really just… It wasn’t great.

Not trying to completely poop on it here, but the reality is you’re fooling yourself if you think it was some fantastic movie.

It was a great sendoff to the original Ghostbusters, it just wasn’t a great movie on its own.

Agreed that it was a great sendoff to the OGs. Looks like they could be setting it up for a proper reboot with Ernie Hudson playing a big role in it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Same thing 

Jk I just turned 30 a week ago so I’m lashing out in pain 

Just wait til 40, you'll be longing for the days of being 30.  I'm 41 and I can already tell that I can't quite do all the things I used to when i'm coaching my kids various sports teams.  In my early 30's I felt ******* invincible.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1