What movie are you watching?

Forge

The Eyes of Tammy Faye 

Not sure how to rate it. It was another satirical movie that lacked subtlety but it resonated with me as I’ve always thought televangelism is corrupt and weird. I hadn’t heard of Jim Bakker or Tammy Faye before this but I guess just from observing the Joel Osteen experience I got the gist. Televangelists live a life of excess with essentially legal embezzlement and capitalization on impressionable religious folk. The movie didn’t hold anything back in showing their sociopathic personalities, selfish desires in making money and building an empire by manipulating people’s faith. It only got a RT score of 66% but I think Garfield and Chastain both killed it. 

Vivarium 3/10

This was a hard watch. I have patience for Indie movies as the Comcast on demand movies I had available to me as a teenager were all terrible no budget indie movies but this was exceptionally hard to watch. If the characters in a movie have no depth, it’s going to be hard to pull me in. 

The Gentlemen was pretty darn good. Nice to see Ritchie still has the ability to make a good movie.

It also confirmed what I’ve been thinking for a long time, and what I think I’ve said here before, but Charlie Hunnam is an A-list support actor. Steals movies when he’s not the protagonist. Heck, he might have been in The Gentlemen, but in that kind of ensemble it doesn’t really matter.

It’s the same thing I think about Tom Hardy, really. Some actors are meant to steal the movie, and those two are perfect examples. Hardy is a lot more capable of carrying a movie himself, but he’s also best when he’s not carrying it. Mad Max is a great example for Hardy. Although the movie was called Mad Max, he really was in a support role as far as story and screen time, and you could probably make the argument Charlize Theron was the protagonist.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

The Gentlemen was pretty darn good. Nice to see Ritchie still has the ability to make a good movie.

It also confirmed what I’ve been thinking for a long time, and what I think I’ve said here before, but Charlie Hunnam is an A-list support actor. Steals movies when he’s not the protagonist. Heck, he might have been in The Gentlemen, but in that kind of ensemble it doesn’t really matter.

It’s the same thing I think about Tom Hardy, really. Some actors are meant to steal the movie, and those two are perfect examples. Hardy is a lot more capable of carrying a movie himself, but he’s also best when he’s not carrying it. Mad Max is a great example for Hardy. Although the movie was called Mad Max, he really was in a support role as far as story and screen time, and you could probably make the argument Charlize Theron was the protagonist.

It has a few mis-steps and lulls, but on the whole it's a very enjoyable watch with a few very good scenes. I actually saw this in theaters right before Covid shut everything down.

22 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

True Grit(remake) on Netflix 

9/10

Great western. Over-exaggerates Mattie’s character a bit much, but great western anyways. Coen brothers or someone needs to remake the searchers. That remake would have potential to be the best western ever made, imo.

I genuinely thought I remembered it not being held at a high regard, weird. I did like it tho. When Jeff Bridges tells the kid dying in the cabin “I can’t do nothin for ya, son”. Stone cold 

• Like 1