What movie are you watching?

Forge

Thought 'Barbarian' was pretty bad. Reminded me of the old Rob Zombie horror comedies House of a 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects, which I didn't care for.

Themes of the film were really on the nose and there's little to respect in way of craft across the board. Cinematographer made some odd choices throughout the film. Dialogue was sub par, and the writer/director let the film get away from him in ways that highlight his lack of skill/ability. There was a decent story available in the skeleton of this thing but they weren't able to find it. The supernatural elements were unneeded, and the evil human element that was involved felt corny and cheap. All scenes with the vagrant and the police were troped up to the max, similar to a 80s slasher offering. The premise of the horror was already meh and unoriginal, but the boring flashback exposition made it even worse. 

Acting didn't make up for anything, but with the script it really couldn't. Guy who looks like Joe Burrow and prettier Rosario Dawson in mom jeans did their best with a bad script in the first quarter of the film where the movie still had some promise, but the best performance was from Justin Long- Who flashed the ability to get the point of his character across without hamming the audience over the head, but unfortunately the director just couldn't let that happen. Anything good in this film devolves fairly quickly into a campy hodge podge of sh*t.

Obviously I didn't like the film, but other posters seemed to like it and as I mentioned it's similar to those Rob Zombie films of the early 2000s. So if you liked those you'll probably be fine with this. It also has similar elements to the 2004 film Creep(not to be confused with 2014 found footage movie).

3 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Wouldn’t it be easier to watch in on the streaming apps and skip all the commercials.

Probably doesnt make sense but when its on tv its different for me, idk how else to explain it.

I will usually throw it on and have it on as background noise throughout the day.

• Like 1

Been trucking through the final destination movies. Wasn’t expecting to be transported back in time.

The first one sent me back to about 2001-2002, sitting in my uncle’s den in Rifle, Colorado and watching it for the first time unbeknownst to the adults, since I was only 9 or so. 

The third one sent me to 2006, living at my dads house in St Joseph, Michigan soon after my parents split up. I was the only one of my siblings to move in with him and I still have nostalgic bachelor memories every time I pass a family video (RIP), martins supermarket, or am in that area for whatever reason. I haven’t seen this movie since around that time but I remember all the death scenes lol. 

These movies are mindless and not great but fun to watch, time capsules of when technology started moving so fast that every 3 years or so felt like a different generation. I figure I won’t feel the same for the remaining movie/s 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 2:04 AM, DreamKid said:

Thought 'Barbarian' was pretty bad. Reminded me of the old Rob Zombie horror comedies House of a 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects, which I didn't care for.

Watched this last night. Really didn't get the Rob Zombie vibes you did. Reminded me more of The Descent mixed with Jeepers Creepers (probably because of Justin Long). I enjoyed it. Liked how all 3 stories eventually melded together into one. Thought it did a nice job of obscuring the true underlying evil. That said the final reveal to me seemed pretty ridiculous.

Spoiler:

Spoiler

I'm not buying that two or three generations of incest breeding could produce such a malformed, powerful being. “He started making babies with them and then babies with the babies. So if you make a copy of a copy of a copy, you end up with something like [The Mother]." this is really the only line in the movie that even attempts to explain how she came to be. But in the flashback scene it's like the 1980's when he's abducting these women based on the news reports. There was an episode of X-Files back in the day with an incest family and this reminded me alot of it.

But I mean trying to make sense out of horror movies is spurious.