What are you reading? V1

Forge

@Outpost31 - have you read Alexander Hamilton?

Goes through the entire life of Alexander Hamilton.  Most of the book (maybe 60% of it?) focuses on his role in the war and setting up the foundation of America's economic system.  But that's really because those were times he was most active, and have the most recorded material.  If you're reading about influential figures during that time, you have to read something about Hamilton.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16130.Alexander_Hamilton

Or does that not fit what you're looking for?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, theJ said:

@Outpost31 - have you read Alexander Hamilton?

Goes through the entire life of Alexander Hamilton.  Most of the book (maybe 60% of it?) focuses on his role in the war and setting up the foundation of America's economic system.  But that's really because those were times he was most active, and have the most recorded material.  If you're reading about influential figures during that time, you have to read something about Hamilton.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16130.Alexander_Hamilton

Or does that not fit what you're looking for?

I was trying to limit it to just Presidents and such at least for a while.  I got a few books such as Patriots, Founding Brothers and Signing Their Lives Away that focus on the people of the American Revolution.  I feel like if I focused in on influential figures too much I'd spend the next year reading about the American Revolution, and I'm anxious to get through most of American History by the end of this year.  Once I get through that I'll probably circle back and get other prominent and influential figures throughout American History randomly, and I'm definitely putting this one on my list.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I was trying to limit it to just Presidents and such at least for a while.  I got a few books such as Patriots, Founding Brothers and Signing Their Lives Away that focus on the people of the American Revolution.  I feel like if I focused in on influential figures too much I'd spend the next year reading about the American Revolution, and I'm anxious to get through most of American History by the end of this year.  Once I get through that I'll probably circle back and get other prominent and influential figures throughout American History randomly, and I'm definitely putting this one on my list.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

Makes sense.  It's a long, dense book too.  If you're a really fast reader, you could make good time.  But that one took me about 2 months, and i do 40-50 books/year.  Probably wise to hold off.

Pretty cool what you're attempting.

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

And then after reading it, you can go out and see Hamilton!

I'd like to see it, but it's never coming to my town.  We'd have to make a weekend out of it traveling to a larger city.

46 minutes ago, theJ said:

Makes sense.  It's a long, dense book too.  If you're a really fast reader, you could make good time.  But that one took me about 2 months, and i do 40-50 books/year.  Probably wise to hold off.

Pretty cool what you're attempting.

I don't think anything is longer or denser than Almost A Miracle.  Definitely need a break from that type, so I think I'll go a fiction book between each history book.  

And yeah, it's something I'd recommend everyone do once they get to about 30 years old.  I'm definitely enjoying it.

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Debated on surprising my wife with tickets while we're in Tennessee and it's in Louisville, but I can't justify the cost.

Felt pretty fortunate paying the sale price and not third party price last year when I saw it. Wouldn't mind seeing it a second time with a different cast just to compare but that cost isn't one I can justify.

Want to read the book one day but my reading queue is long enough already. 

Someone gave me Fire and Blood for my birthday, so I'm sorry working my way through that as time permits.  I'm about 65 pages in and while interesting, it hasn't really grabbed me yet.  I'll see it through though, but it might take me a bit.  Putting off rereading ASoIaF until I know when WoW is coming out.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Someone gave me Fire and Blood for my birthday, so I'm sorry working my way through that as time permits.  I'm about 65 pages in and while interesting, it hasn't really grabbed me yet.  I'll see it through though, but it might take me a bit.  Putting off rereading ASoIaF until I know when WoW is coming out.

Because of AWorldOIAF. It was hard for me to get through about the first 80-100 pages of Fire and Blood. So hard I wanted to put it down and forget about it. After, it kept revving up harder the whole rest of the way and loved the entire middle+back half of the story as much as any.

Edit to say. Check out the Dunk and Egg tales since you have ASOIAF put on hold. Theyre fun, short reads. 80pages or so each.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

44 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Because of AWorldOIAF. It was hard for me to get through about the first 80-100 pages of Fire and Blood. So hard I wanted to put it down and forget about it. After, it kept revving up harder the whole rest of the way and loved the entire middle+back half of the story as much as any.

Edit to say. Check out the Dunk and Egg tales since you have ASOIAF put on hold. Theyre fun, short reads. 80pages or so each.

I will not contribute to reading anything else of his, till WoW comes out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I read all the Dunk and Egg stories long ago.  Also pissed we still haven't got The She Wolves of Winterfell.  GRRM is a punk

On 3/23/2019 at 4:02 PM, Fresh Prince said:

I will not contribute to reading anything else of his, till WoW comes out.

Same.  I just don't see the point.  I'd need to re-read the stuff anyway to catch myself back up, and i dislike re-reading books.

I'm finishing up the Harry Potter series.  Probably today or tomorrow.

It's good.  Books 3-6 are pretty fantastic.  Books 1/2 are good enough, though for an adult they don't grab me as much.

Book 7 is fine, and helps explain some things that the movies don't.  But overall i'd just say it's fine for now.  The pacing in the first half of the book is slow.  I know it's intentional, but it's the only part in all seven books that is this slow.  Then the second half is a blur.  Hard to digest.